PDA

View Full Version : Food Plot In Central Arkansas

soonerman001
July 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I was woundering what would be the best thing to plant in the late july early aug. months. i have about 2 acres to play with and was wanting something that will be good for the deer and that will hold them. If anybody has any advice i would be greatfull to you. The land that i have is aroud the Herber Spring area 1/2 mile form the Little Red

Thanks Zac

totalcomfort
July 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I would wait untill around the 1st of sept. Then plant some oats and winter wheat.It will come up quick and stay green for a long while in AR. If you want throw in some purple top turnips and beets or maybe some winter peas.The peas won't last long on a small plot they will eat them quick.The others listed are easy to grow, LIME the soil for best results.

hunt4meat
August 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Lime is one of the most important things you can do for a food plot, especially in the hills. Our last soil test recomended 1000 lb/acre at Hardy. Winter wheat grows great, turnips grow great (and a nice snack on your way out of the woods), and I had some OK luck with some of the Brassica mixes last year. Peas are good but get mowed down pretty much as soon as the pop up, so does clover on small plots.

Also, wait until late Aug or early Sept. Will do much better with the cooler weather.