PDA

View Full Version : Three lakes bow hunting

HCA Iron Mace
July 15th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I live in the keys and looking to get away into the woods and Three lakes keeps jumping into my head. How is it to hunt during archery?

FredGarvin
July 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I live in the keys and looking to get away into the woods and Three lakes keeps jumping into my head. How is it to hunt during archery?

I love it. I have kind of made it my home WMA, keep my camper parked out there all season. Even though I'm about 3hrs drive away, there's a few benefits I've found:

1. Centrally located, so I have opp to meet up with friends from the east coast.

2. Quota's only required for begining of seasons.

3. 55,000ac is a decent size area and allows you to get away from the crowds.

But re:#3 above, I've noticed a relatively small population of archery hunters. Even my stand locations "up front" have been relatively quiet with activity (other hunters), yet consistantly have a decent opp for a doe/pig. Out back, west of the turnpike, I've got some very good stand locs with absolutely no one else near me during archery -- and lots of good buck sign.

4. I've built a knowledge base of the area. Still working on it, but I don't have much time to scout at other WMA's, so I stick to my stand locs at 3Lake and walk/stalk new areas found on Aerial Imagery a bit each time I go. Just to check out and learn the lay of the land more and more each time.

Last season, I hunted 5 weekends in a row (archery), and that was about the extent of my season. Once in a while I'll do general gun, but only if my buds will be there and I treat it more of a less-serious, fun weekend getaway because I'm simply not confident in hunting the gun season. Lots of reasons why, mostly due to the hunting pressure that place gets during that season.

I say that because I know for a fact what some guys are doing: basically, they'll get into groups of hunters, a couple of them will sit on one side of a cypress head along an edge, while a few others will push through with a walk. Then it's a matter of them blasting away at game that is running thru.

I'm a still hunter, period. And it's this kind of activity that I don't like personally, not bad mouthing it at all, it's just not my thing. And it really doesn't instill the confidence I need to take general gun hunting seriously.