PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Canning Tomatoes

bsites9
July 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hey everbody. I want to can some tomatoes today. I've read so many different ways to do it, and have seen so many different ingredients that are needed also. I need some very simple instructions on how you guys do it. I don't have a pressure cooker, which i know you don't need anyway. But i've read some that say you need to give a hot water bath, and some that say just the hot tomatoes will seal with jars. So please, give me some help here, i'd like to do this later today. thanks al ot.

bsites9
July 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
ok, it's settled, no one on AT has ever tried canning tomatoes.

meat_purveyor
July 28th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'd recommend getting a cookbook from Ball or Kerr with canning recipes - they'll cover the basics and outline how long to process various types of foods & your jar sizes.

Plain tomatoes are pretty simple since they're high in acid and as such, only require processing by boiling water. I'd also recommend going with a paste type tomato (like roma) so that your jar isn't just all juice.

Basic steps-

Get all of your jars, lids, screw tops, and pots together
Wash your jars thoroughly - any bacteria can cause spoilage and issues
I like to remove the tomato skins. The easiest way to do this is to dip them in a pot of boiling water for a minute or so, then pull the tomatoes out and dunk them in ice water. Then, you can basically just slice the top open to remove the stem and squeeze the tomato out into a clean bowl
Put your tomatoes into jars. I've seen recipes where you can add some lemon juice and/or salt to the mix as well.
Clean the jar top/lip.
Put a lid on.
Screw the lid on, finger tight.
Submerse your jars into boiling water, wait for the water to boil again and then start your timer for the prescribed amount of time.
When done, pull your jars out and set them on a towel or board to let them cool slowly. You should hear the lids pop as they seal.
Label & date your jars and store them in a cool place away from sunlight.

There are variations you can do, but those are the basic steps. It's not a trivial process so I typically wait until I have a boatload of tomatoes to process. It's a lot slower than getting from the store, but much more satisfying and they're delicious the rest of the year.

Again, I strongly recommend a cookbook. Also if you want to start adding other things to your tomatoes to make salsa, or Italian type sauce, you'll need to process your sauce via pressure cooker instead of the boiling water bath.

Bubbahoyt
July 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
You can try this .

Cooking Directions:
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 pounds tomatoes per quart - (to 3 1/2)
Bottled lemon juice or citric acid
Salt -- (optional)

Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to
manufacturer's instructions.

To prepare tomatoes: Wash tomatoes; dip in boiling water 30 to 60
seconds; immediately dip in cold water. Slip off skins; trim away any
green areas; cut out core. Leave tomatoes whole or cut into halves or
quarters.

Add 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid to each
quart jar. Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric
acid to each pint jar. Pack tomatoes into hot jars until space between
tomatoes fills with juice, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon
salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired.

Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula. Wipe jar rim clean. Place
lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly
and firmly just until a point of resistance is met -- fingertip tight.

Process pints and quarts 1 hour and 25 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
At elevations higher than 1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each
additional 1,000 feet elevation.

2arrow1
August 6th, 2009, 02:07 PM
when they are cooled off you can push on the lids the should be vacuumed down.

mndeerfreek
August 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
you can put them in the oven for approx 30min for quarts to seal check lids til sealed , very easy

mndeerfreek
September 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
you can put them in the oven for approx 30min for quarts to seal check lids til sealed , very easy

It is 60 mn for pints and 75 mn for quarts. all cooked at 300deg in the oven then take out and let cool. sorry for the wrong info.