PDA

View Full Version : Ft Chaffee

razorbackhunter
July 29th, 2009, 01:49 AM
New guy here anybody else hunt on FT Chaffee?

Do you think they will open more areas up this year?

HuntnHog
July 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Yep. Good deer population, good quality bucks, but it can get pretty crowded at times. First week or so of season seem to be the worst. If you can hunt during the week it's not as bad, and if you hunt it when firearm season opens up a lot of folks are off hunting where they can use guns instead of bow only.

armurphy
July 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I hunt it almost everyday in when I get off worrk. 2 hogs and 2 does last season. I do better in Dec and Jan when the crowd lessens. I doubt if the closure schedule will be much different this year. I have been waiting for certain areas to open to put out the camers.

razorbackhunter
July 31st, 2009, 04:28 PM
8's, 9's and all 6's will be open on august 3.

If you don't mind me asking what compartment did you get the hogs. I mainly hunt them in the 9's and 7's in the creek bottoms.

armurphy
July 31st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hogs were killed in 7 and 6, seen a few in 4, alot in 5 but it was hardly ever open. Guy I work with killed 250lb in one of the 4s.

razorbackhunter
August 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Seen a group in the 3way between 6b and 7.

armurphy
August 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM
pigs or deer?

HuntnHog
August 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds like the hogs have just about spread all over. I saw a group in 6c year before last. A buddy of mine saw some in 7a last year.

razorbackhunter
August 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I know a guy that killed one in 3, right next to the river.

armurphy
August 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM
There is not alot in 3, but will be in a few years. I Have Turkey hunted Chaffee since I was a kid. The last 5 years; turkey are harder and harder to find. I believe the days of seeing flocks of 20 to 30 turkey in the fields and breaks are over unless these hogs are put in check. Don't take this wrong, I like hunting pigs, but want to keep hunting turkeys as well.

razorbackhunter
August 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Were on the same page, in the last 5 years the turkey hunting has went downhill and I blame alott of it on hogs.

HuntnHog
August 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
If they want to get the hog population under control they are gonna have to try something different than what they have been. The #'s have grown and will not get better on its own.

armurphy
August 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
If they want to get the hog population under control they are gonna have to try something different than what they have been. The #'s have grown and will not get better on its own.

Agreed. I'd like to see dogs, traps, predator hunt. Bows, .17 and .22 aint gonna keep them in line.

razorbackhunter
August 10th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I would love to see dogs allowed. My brother uses them and does well.

armurphy
August 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I put my camera out today on Chaffee. Does anybody else on here put trail cameras out on Chaffee. If so I would like to see some pictures. I'm hoping to get pics of pigs. Seen 4 to 6 little ones while walking in to set it up.

HuntnHog
August 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I used to put a camera out. That was back before the digital's. Been thinking of getting a new one to put out that wouldn't be such a hassle.

armurphy
September 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq338/willardmurphy/hunting/hunterleepig.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq338/willardmurphy/hunting/hunterpig.jpg

razorbackhunter
September 13th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Good shooting, My permit went out sept 4 and I haven't renewed yet but I plan on getting out there.

razorbackhunter
September 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Got my sportsman permit taken care of today and I drew 2nd day both on the gun and the muzzeloader hunts.:)

AR_Headhunter
September 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM

All they have to do to get the hogs in check is to free up the regulations a bit & let us guys experienced with hogs have at them. JMO

deer_hunter_15
November 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Does anybody stalk the deer and hogs? Or do yall use tree stands?

fishmannyj
November 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
With so few areas open best bet is set still. Someone will run one by you or out to a closed area were they will stay safe.

deer_hunter_15
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
What zones are heavily populated with hogs? I'm not familiar with the area yet.

fishmannyj
November 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Area 9 I have heard!? I usually hunt 8 & 8a and have only seen a handfull. Last year there were supposedly 3 people attacked on 9!? But with all the scheduled training doubt much will be open till after 1st of the year!

deer_hunter_15
November 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Ok thanks, and how do you get in to the draw for special hunt?

fishmannyj
November 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Applications come out in May and have to be retuned end of June. Then you have to be drawn for A day which to hunt! Only thing I hate is that the Gun hun is the weekend b4 the Muzzleloader hunt!? I wish they wud switch it around and put the muzzleloader 1st...in fact make the 1st day of the muzzleloader weekend a Youth gun permit day instead! Just my opinion but who wud listen?