PDA

View Full Version : Any Hogs?

ARBowHuntr
August 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have been trying all summer to get on somebody's land that had a hog problem. Just thought I would check on here and see if anybody has any hogs on their land that wouldn't mind if I tried to take one with my bow. Thanks in advance for any information I appreciate it.

asa_low12
August 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I'd like to do that also. I'll let ya know if I hear anything.

ARBowHuntr
August 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Definitely let me know if you hear anything, where in AR are you located?

AR_Headhunter
September 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Guys I can put you on hogs. The only thing is that they are in southern Ar. Perhaps a few of of us could get together this year & go do a weekend hunt for them.

ARBowHuntr
September 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Guys I can put you on hogs. The only thing is that they are in southern Ar. Perhaps a few of of us could get together this year & go do a weekend hunt for them.

Funny you mentioned that, I was gonna start a thread closer to when bow season ended and see who all would want to put together an Arkansas AT Hog Hunt

Where in Southern Arkansas are you thinking?

bobbyh
September 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Funny you mentioned that, I was gonna start a thread closer to when bow season ended and see who all would want to put together an Arkansas AT Hog Hunt

Where in Southern Arkansas are you thinking?

I'm in if the time is right, love pork meat, and prefer to camp, not hotel it.

rezeen6.5
September 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I work for a power company in NE AR. I got some lineman buddys that said come on down they live in Camdin south AR. I think we would have a hell of a time .

ARBowHuntr
September 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
prefer to camp, not hotel it.

I think camping somewhere would definitely be the way to go.

AR_Headhunter
September 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I was thinking down in SE Arkansas on Overflow NWR & Cut-off Creek WMA

ARBowHuntr
September 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I have never hunted either one of those places, I would definitely like to hunt somewhere new. Do you know if there is any camping near those places?

AR_Headhunter
September 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
There are camp sites at Cut off Creek. The camp site on the SE side of the area would be the best to use. There is also a camp site on Little Bayou WMA which is between both of the other places. Right now the best bet for hogs would likely be in the swamp on the north side of the camping area on the SE side of Cut off creek. I also know several spots inside Overflow NWR but really we would need ATV's to Access the best area's.

ARBowHuntr
September 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Sounds like you know the area, and where we would need to hunt pretty well. Unless anybody has any other places that they think would be more productive I say that we slowly start planning a trip to Cut Off Creek. What time of year do you think we should be looking at?

AR_Headhunter
September 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Actually beginning of the season is the best time. No way I can go early in the season though. I have bear lined up early plus a dandy buck I'm hunting. I will be glad to supply maps of the areas to hunt to any of you local guys who want to go kill some though. Also Lake Lewis is a friend of mine & he is the head honcho over Overflow NWR. If you go to the office & tell him your a friend of mine I'm sure he will give you any info he can on hog locations in the refuge. I am going to try to make a trip to Overflow NWR when gun season comes in. I have some honey holes down there that will be ready to hunt then. If you need info just hit me up.

swampboss
October 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Actually beginning of the season is the best time. No way I can go early in the season though. I have bear lined up early plus a dandy buck I'm hunting. I will be glad to supply maps of the areas to hunt to any of you local guys who want to go kill some though. Also Lake Lewis is a friend of mine & he is the head honcho over Overflow NWR. If you go to the office & tell him your a friend of mine I'm sure he will give you any info he can on hog locations in the refuge. I am going to try to make a trip to Overflow NWR when gun season comes in. I have some honey holes down there that will be ready to hunt then. If you need info just hit me up.

Felsenthal is also loaded with them. You may need a boat to get to them with recent rains. Also a backpack full of thermacells . You could hunt hogs and deer. Once you find fresh sign, use the wind and and spot and stalk. With pigs you can hear them squealing and grunting and move in down wind.
Good luck

DRT
October 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have a crap load of them, we have pens set out year around and kill em in the pen and then give them to the local natives. Wish i could have yall over here to wipe them out but the land owner has a handfull of people he lets on that plce and that is it. He won't even let a guy go and video tape me hunting. Hard to complain though, i will have to dig up some pictures tonight.

AR_Headhunter
October 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Felsenthal is also loaded with them. You may need a boat to get to them with recent rains. Also a backpack full of thermacells . You could hunt hogs and deer. Once you find fresh sign, use the wind and and spot and stalk. With pigs you can hear them squealing and grunting and move in down wind.
Good luck

Thats normally how I do it. Just find fresh sign & ease along it like I am squirrel hunting, looking & listening for them. Once I locate them I circle downwind & stalk for a shot. If you surprise them & they do not know what happened many times they will only run a couple hundred yards & you do it again.

1stormseekr
October 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM
The wife subs part time as a postal carrier. She has seen herds around 3dozen while driving thru Harold e. Alexander wma in Sharp county. Don't know the area my self but was going to try to hunt them in the spring. Neighbor is goint to try and get one this weekend..if the rain will stop.

swampboss
October 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM
The wife subs part time as a postal carrier. She has seen herds around 3dozen while driving thru Harold e. Alexander wma in Sharp county. Don't know the area my self but was going to try to hunt them in the spring. Neighbor is goint to try and get one this weekend..if the rain will stop.

You better hunt them now. They will be easier to find now. They will be feeding on the best white oaks ( like the deer ) every evening.
Good luck

joebowman
October 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Weddington wma has a bunch of hogs. There season is open till nov.30 for deer. I don't know the regs for hogs there but know a few people that has taken some rifle before.

jna329
October 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Joe - I have been all over wedington and seen very little hog sign and no hogs. I used to coonhunt it 2-3 nites a week for years. I havent been there much in the last year but live near the northeastern part of wedington and no one that i have talked to has seen hogs. If you could PM me I would love to know whereabouts in wedington they have been finding them and I may take a little trip down the road.

swampboss
October 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The game and fish website has the WMA s listed that are having a hog problem.
The next 2 weeks are a good time to find some before the modern gun opens up. I killed a 200lb boar yesterday. They are easy to find with the high water every where they are pushed out of the creek bottom thickets. Hunt hard for deer around the white oaks and you will find pigs. We see more late evening than morning.

LeftemLeakin
November 6th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Don't forget Big Timber it's loaded with them as well.

ARBowHuntr
December 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Anybody want to try and start throwing around some dates to possibly put together an Arkansas AT Hog Hunt?

AR_Headhunter
December 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Anybody want to try and start throwing around some dates to possibly put together an Arkansas AT Hog Hunt?

The best time IMO would be early season. Most do not realize that September 1'st actually is the start date of when you can start bowhunting hogs on a lot of public land. I would recommend doing a hunt in Sept. before everyone starts deer hunting. I know the perfect spot to have a great early season hunt next year.

Cheetahwheelie
December 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
We have them all over our lease. I hate them. I shoot one every year. Shot a nice one this season. Some of the best sausage I've ever eaten. Can't wait to try the pork chops and the ribs and smoke the hams.

ARBowHuntr
December 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM
We have them all over our lease. I hate them. I shoot one every year. Shot a nice one this season. Some of the best sausage I've ever eaten. Can't wait to try the pork chops and the ribs and smoke the hams.

So is that an offer to host the Arkansas ATA Hog Hunt? :wink:

AR_Headhunter
December 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
So is that an offer to host the Arkansas ATA Hog Hunt? :wink:

At least he is in our area.

ARBowHuntr
December 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
At least he is in our area.

I'm just saying, if the man has a hog problem on his lease, I bet we could put together a little crew to help alleviate the problem.