PDA

View Full Version : Backing Maple

Farley
August 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I have a nice piece of maple that appears to want to be a bow when it grows up, I would like to back it with a contrasting wood of some sort. What is a good darker wood for backing maple? I'm thinking in the 66-68" range.

elk country rp
August 11th, 2009, 01:21 AM
hmmmm, maple is your backing- i like the way maple backed cherry works. i also like maple backed walnut if you want contrast- i've made a few shooters from each.

good luck & post some pics for us,
Rob

Pappysc2001
August 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Rob,
have you done any maple backed Ipe?

Farley
August 13th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I was sure someone on here had made a backed maple bow at one point. I could back it with fabric but was hoping for wood.

gearhead1951
September 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM
excuse me , my ignorance is showing ! i will probable slap myself when i get th' answer , what is IPE ??

kegan
September 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
excuse me , my ignorance is showing ! i will probable slap myself when i get th' answer , what is IPE ??

It's a South American HARDwood (if you ever try to carve a piece you'll know why I put so much emphasis one it:D). Denser than water, it's extremely elastic and rot resistent. It's used for decking alot, but makes one the the best laminated bow materials on earth (as well as most attractive).

A bamboo backed ipe bow could easily rival, and exceed, a similiar fiberglass laminated longbow:).

stiknstring
September 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Dont let the word HARD scare you however. It is rough on rasps but I found it to work very easily using a sharp scraper...paper thin shavings!

Farley
September 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Soooo, back to backing maple! Anyone?

stiknstring
September 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
As was said in your first post it IS your backing. I do not personally know of a darker wood that works as a backing for maple. I have built one bamboo backed maple that I still shoot on occasion and that seemed to work pretty well but most of the good shooting maple bows I have seen have used a fibrous backing of some sort.

mossanimal
September 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Try Primitive Archer. There is a guy (Badger)... I'm pretty sure he is one of the authors in the Bowyers Bibles... that advised me on backing maple. Most things overpower it.... But, with the right design, hickory will work. You need more of a semi-pyramid type design and it would be wider than an ipe or osage bow. I tried one but broke it during tillering with deadly hinges. If you use hickory remember to make it pretty thin. Anyway... post on Primitive Archer and look for Badger. If you can't find anything, PM me and I will look up the build along I started (until it broke) on Stickbow... I think my dimensions are on there that I got from Badger.

mossanimal
September 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
btw... just stain with leather dye and you will love the contrast.

mossanimal
September 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
here it is... just copy the dimensions and ignore the rest! My second bow attempt and it was a disaster. The dimensions were given to me my Badger... Paul Comstock I believe????

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=932592&highlight=maple

stiknstring
September 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Nope...Badger is Steve Gardner. Paul Comstock does not post as far as I know.

Farley
September 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
here it is... just copy the dimensions and ignore the rest! My second bow attempt and it was a disaster. The dimensions were given to me my Badger... Paul Comstock I believe????

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=932592&highlight=maple

Thanks Moss