PDA

View Full Version : Where do you hunt? Public or private land?

Basinboy
August 12th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I mainly hunt public land. The Attackapas wma in the basin and when I can squeeze it in I make an early season hunt at Clear Creek wma with a buddy that lives close by.
I am fortunate enough to get to hunt private land in Kansas and Illinois.
I have taken a few good deer in Illinois. Been hunting there for several years.
I hunted Kansas for the first time last year and saw some nice bucks but nothing I wanted to put my tag on. My girlfriend on the other hand smacked a 125 class 10pt with her Hoyt on that trip.:D

killadoe
August 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Man I hunt all over, I hunt Boeuf, Red River, West Bay, Fort Polk, Kisatchie, private lease, and family land. I am planning a trip to Boeuf opening weekend this year...

mudbug_4
September 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I hunt almost exclusively on public land (military installations allow civilians). So far, Ft. Polk has been the toughest for both deer and turkeys. The post is usually closed due to training so there is a lot of competition when it does open. Two years ago I had 5 different turkeys located: I arrived at my prime spot an hour before daylight and there were already two trucks there! Lucky for me, they left around 1000...turkey died around 1105...persistence pays off.

mudbug_4
September 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
As a kid I hunted in what is now the Maurepas WMA; we used to have 3 square miles of some of the nastiest swamp you can find. Since the state bought it and dogs are no longer allowed, there are some beasts living in that swamp. My dad stalked and killed a 146" (net) 10 point last year with his shotgun. I don't envy him for the drag (205#) but it sure made a pretty mount!

Basinboy
September 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I bet they have some good ones in that swamp!

Bayou Bowhunter
September 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM
A little private 40 acres out in West Monroe and the Black Bayou Federal Game Reserve.

AR_Headhunter
September 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I hunt almost exclusively on public land. I just enjoy being successful in a setting that most find very difficult.

Flyboy718
September 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
I hunt both lease and public