PDA

View Full Version : having problems with bobcat that dont exist.

hoyt bowhunting
August 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Ok i live in mn and there are NO bobcats here. (per DNR) and i have them bothering horses and hanging around my place. Im putting trailcams out tonight to get pictures of bobcats (that dont exist). My dad saw my dog chase it away yesterday. But what do i do to get rid of it (legaly) remember they dont exist here.
matt

Widgeon
August 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Are you sure you aren't seeing a snuffleufagus? I'm pretty sure employess of the DNR cannot see them.

CT...
August 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
well if they dont exist:cat::archer::dontknow::z ip:

OneArmArrowSlinger
August 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
well if they dont exist:cat::archer::dontknow::z ip:

I agree. SSS...

Arrow H
August 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
you cant get in trouble for shooting something that doesnt exist:uzi:

hunter kid
August 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
thats true nobodey has to know u shot it

Tfox1
August 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Just exactly what are they hurting? They won't exactly eat a horse.

Unless you have chickens or other small animals,they don't hurt anything.Might even rid you of a rat or mouse problem.That might be why they are hanging around in the first place.

Highball
August 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
find out if they are protected in MN. If they are not a protected species.......lions don't exist in MO but they're protected and can't be killed, hmmmmm.....then there would be no issue with killing it.

nomansland
August 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I almost guarantee they are not chasing a horse. Might be looking for a rat or two for a snack but definately not your horse. I personally would trap that thing to prove it to the DNR.

brian1966
August 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Shoot shovel shut up

RockChucker30
August 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Check your state's laws. Just because your state doesn't recognize a population doesn't mean you can legally take an animal. Virginia, for example, says that if they don't legally ALLOW the take of an animal, it is ILLEGAL to take it.

hoyt bowhunting
August 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I was wrong, I want thinking of the right name. It is a couger.
matt

MS Sportsman
August 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'll have to agree with a couple previous posts. I've never heard of a bobcat bothering any kind of livestock. Pets maybe, but a baby fawn or a turkey is about as big of a prey as a bobcat is going to fool with. Are you sure it's a bobcat?

hoyt bowhunting
August 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
This animal was taller and fatter then my black lab who is 1 year 8 months old. It is light brown in color. And that thing out ran my dog.
matt

MS Sportsman
August 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Most everything gets bigger the farther north you go so add what you think is appropriate, but a 35lb bobcat is MS is a HOSS. Most are probably 15-25lbs and none even come close to approaching the size of a lab.

gbear
August 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
you cant get in trouble for shooting something that doesnt exist:uzi:

That is why you use a weapon that doesn't exist, like an energy sword :archery:or that uzi of yourin':uzi:

and BCs go in a live trap like turtles falling off a log if you present it properly.

gbear
August 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
:mg:UZI up!!:uzi:

It's usually not illegal to kill in defense of your livestock. I'm not familiar with MN though.

MS Sportsman
August 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp102/Tikka270/100_1088-2.jpg

Here's a well above average sized one I took a few years ago.

hoyt bowhunting
August 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp102/Tikka270/100_1088-2.jpg

Here's a well above average sized one I took a few years ago.

Way bigger then that and it is light brown so im guessing it was a couger.
Great, :(
matt

MNArrowFlinger
August 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
matt - they ARE around. you're exactly right that the DNR doesn't want to believe it. I'd try to get a pic of it with the trail cam to prove to the DNR and hope it doesn't try to take down your horse! Unfortunently I don't think you cant legally hunt/trap them :thumbs_do

Shouldernuke!
August 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Just exactly what are they hurting? They won't exactly eat a horse.

Unless you have chickens or other small animals,they don't hurt anything.Might even rid you of a rat or mouse problem.That might be why they are hanging around in the first place.

ditto the only thing that they are bothering is your mind they are no threat to anything larger than a average dog.......

Jay S.
August 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
matt

We have mountain lions in Maine that don't exist either.:D

skwiggsgonewild
August 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I almost guarantee they are not chasing a horse. Might be looking for a rat or two for a snack but definately not your horse. I personally would trap that thing to prove it to the DNR.

He said bothering his horses, not necessarily chasing them. I've seen horses pile up all the way across a 10 acre pasture, just because a bobcat was hunting woodchucks on the one side of the pasture. Remember horses are naturally prey animals, and when they see a predator in their space it flips them out, even if it's not one of THEIR predators. It's just a natural reaction for them.

w8n4fall
August 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Shoot shovel shut up

:thumbs_up

QuickReflex
August 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
If its bothering your horse its not a bobcat, we have them all over around here they dont bother any thing but the neighbors geese & chickens, ducks
There is one around here thats as big as my lab. if its bothering a hors its a bigger cat. shoot it & shut it. IMO

junglerooster1
August 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
We have mountain lions in Maine that don't exist either.:D

prove it. 28 years of hunting bobcats on snow and have never seen a mountain lion track i'll believe it when someone shoots one:darkbeer:

xt deerslayer
August 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
plenty of cougers in mn. got horses in grand rapids a couple years ago . people have seen plenty of them from central mn. north . my wife seen one while snowmobiling in crow wing state park about 5 yrs. ago

NorthernMN
August 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I see your problem. You are too far south. Come a little further north. We get a season for bobcat. Limit is 5. I whacked one last December from the tree stand. Still waiting to get it back from the Taxi. Now a cougar is another matter completely. We just call them bobcats and shoot them too.:angel:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/NorthernMN/bobcat.jpg

MathewsMan09
August 14th, 2009, 10:44 PM
well if you just happened to find it dead, its not your fault it died of lead poison, it must have just ate some bad bullets wait what i mean bad meat.:D

Tfox1
August 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
He said bothering his horses, not necessarily chasing them. I've seen horses pile up all the way across a 10 acre pasture, just because a bobcat was hunting woodchucks on the one side of the pasture. Remember horses are naturally prey animals, and when they see a predator in their space it flips them out, even if it's not one of THEIR predators. It's just a natural reaction for them.

I am from KY,know a thing or 2 about horses.They get a little excited,that's about it.

Now,seems he got bobcat confused with cougar,that's a completely different situatiuon.We have issues with cougars that don't exist here as well.

Heavishot
August 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Yep, where I come from things like that bothering livestock tend to die of "sudden lead poisoning". :spy:

dlotto28
August 14th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm originally from SE WY. Lions love horse meat. It is definately a favorite especially if you have a foal around. Find a guy with some lion hounds and invite him to come see whats he can find.

dlotto28
August 14th, 2009, 11:18 PM
A few years ago a lion that didn't exist was shot in the city limits of Yankton, SD by the game, fish and parks and another one was seen in Sioux City, IA so they are moving east boys.

Tfox1
August 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
There was a horse attacked by a BIG cat a couple years ago in a neighboring county.But it couldn't have been a cougar because they don't exist here.;)

Techy
August 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hmmm... I can just about guarantee there are bobcats in MN. Sure you mean bobcat.

But if that is true, trap it and prove it to the DNR or at least take some pics.

Techy
August 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
matt

Didn't see this on my first post. Take some pictures and show the DNR. Although they will probably just wave it off as an escaped domestic.