Archery Talk Forum banner

How many pounds of wheat seed per acre?

41K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ohiobowhunter75 
#1 ·
How much winter wheat seed per acre do I need? While we are talking about it, how about turnips and clover as well?

#2 ·
Dont plant turnips or clover but i plant wheat, oats, and Austrian winter peas. I use a grain drill and plant at a rate of about 70 lbs per acre of my mix. If wheat alone I would plant at about the same rate. If broadcasting it will probably take more seed.

#3 ·
Wheat is a low preference for deer. Plant oats or rye. But, if you do plant whet, two bushels per acres (120) is not too much. Wouldn't do that planting for a grain crop, but, you want forage....and lots of it. I think turnips is 4 lbs per acre. Seed is really small, so a little seed will make a lot of plants. Clover depends on what type. Ladino is a small size seed white clover. Plant 6 - 8 pounds per acre. Red Clover is a large seed and you should plant 12 - 15 pounds per acre. See where this is going?

It's not pounds per acres, but plants per acre.

#7 ·
As a food plot I normally plant at a rate of 100 to 150 lbs per acre.Unlike as a crop,deer will be eatting the plant so stay on the heavy side.Turnips and clover normally rate at 5 -6 lbs per acre.It is very easy to over seed turnips with such a small seed.If it is seeded to heavy it will have alot of leaf but small turnips.The turnips need room to grow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.