Archery Talk Forum banner

Which is more difficult to hunt? Turkey or Deer?

12K views 49 replies 46 participants last post by  JoeRE 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed at one point or another, but I'm curious what you guys think. My buddy and I recently debated which is more difficult to hunt, turkeys or deer. My vote was for deer, for a variety of reasons, but # 1 is because the scent component can stop things before they even begin.

What do you guys think? Turkey or Whitetail?

#4 ·
Personally turkeys are harder for me, but it a really close race. It might also be that I have poor luck with turkeys because I almost always seem to get caught.

#5 ·
I would have to say Turkeys cause i have never killed one. Been hunting them for 5 years and have never even got close to them. I think I just suck at calling LOL

#6 ·
Mature animals are a different story but I do believe the "average" deer is a lot easier to kill than the "average" turkey. Turkeys seem to be cronic paranoids in my area and don't have the curiousity that average deer do.

#10 ·
its hard to compare them unless you look at it like this. lets say a 4 year old tom vs a 4 year old buck. which is harder? my vote goes to the deer for a few reasons. turkey you can get away at times with noise and a little slop and still get him. with deer you have the wind factor and any out of the ordinary noise and he is gone. on top of that deer move all night long so you dont know where he is in the morning unlike turkeys which you can roost and be right under them come daylight the next morning. now lets talk a jake turkey and a spike deer. still the same thing but most spikes wont run at the first hint of a human. jake turkeys will come into just about any calling and are not very wary at all. i still say its harder to kill a spike but not much harder. on top of that you can listen for the birds to gobble and give away their location....deer dont make a peep. turkey hunting to me is more exciting due to the calling factor but if you ask would i rather shoot a 10 inch beard or a 150 class blacktail and i'd prob say the 150 blacktail everytime:darkbeer:

#15 · (Edited)
Turkeys are easier. They can be easier to find because they are out during the daylight, they gobble, and most times you can roost them. You can call them to you (sometimes). Deer will come in to grunts or rattling but that is lower percentage than calling in a turkey. Most of time if a turkey starts coming in you will get a shot, but a deer it seems more time than not you still don't. You have a good chance of killing a turkey all day long. Many times deer won't move at all during daylight. With turkeys smell is not a issue. I also think a deer is smarter than a turkey, but a turkey a lot of times it seems are scared of their own shadow. However deer can be the same way. If you gave me two days in the spring for turkeys or fall for deer and I had to bet the farm on killing one of the two I would pick a turkey every time.

Guess if you are in a area that has of deer and very few turkeys a deer would be easier. But it could be said the other way around.

A elk and any elk is hard to kill than both.

#16 ·
Turkey for me only because I spent the past 4 days surrounded by them and all I have to show is a missing arrow, a chewed up broad head and some breast feathers haha... Don't know what it is but I have had a terrible time putting one of them little suckers on the ground!! Finicky little buggers! Can't say I haven't had the opportunities so I guess if I could shoot the broad side of a barn out of a blind, Turkey would be easier.

#21 ·
I dont know which one is "harder", but personally, i feel as though ive accomplished a lot more when i shoot a turkey rather than a deer. For some reason i feel more rewarded, like i had to earn it much more.

#24 ·
very close but...

i would say that they are both challenging in their own way. i have shot my first deer already but that took 3 1/2 seasons of work. i have had more opportunities with turkey but i have blown them in some way and i have not gone after turkey as much as deer(this is my first spring turkey season). i think turkey are easier to call in and the fact that they lack the incredible smelling power of a deer doesn't hurt. A turkey's eyesight is incredible though and it can be hard to move for a shot especially when you have to draw a bow. I would say for me deer is harder especially only having a small 15 acre plot of land to hunt but turkey are right up there too. both are incredibly challenging and i would be just as happy to shoot a turkey as i would a deer.

#27 ·
The responses that Turkeys are harder caught me off gaurd. I am going to be deer hunting for the first time next fall and have only been hunting 5 or 6 years for birds. I have had opportunitys and have taken turkeys when I put in the time. It seems to me with turkeys making noise and being able to locate them makes them easier. I guess the responses makes me feel like I have a better chance at deer than I thought.

#29 ·
mature deer are harder, out west the turkeys are really easy, very dumb and very callable they just don't get the pressure, I usually hunt one day and kill a nice tom it is not hard at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.