Lighted Nock Review; Firenock, G Force, Tracer

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lighted Nock Review; Firenock, G Force, Tracer

Lighted Nock Review

Comparison testing of Easton Tracer, G5 G Force, Firenock S Hunting

Description of Products

Easton Tracer: I got a single tracer at a cost of 9.99, it comes packaged in a easily opened plastic package with the nock, magnet and instructions. The nock comes fully assembled in one piece consisting of a nock, the lighting circuit, and battery, the battery is attached and shrink wrapped it is not replaceable. According to Easton the battery life is 90 hours. Easton did not provide a listed weight, but I weighed it at 29 grains. Installation was easy you pull off your old nock and insert the new one. It fit snugly into my Gold Tip arrows. You also have to install a magnet somewhere on your bow within a half inch of where the nock will pass, a velcro sticker is provided with the magnet. Also before being able to shoot the nocks you have to “activate them by holding the nock to the magnet for 5 seconds, wait for it to blink, and then remove it from the magnet, doing this again will put it in “sleep mode” and wont accidentally turn on. Once the nock is installed, magnet is on the bow, and is activated you are ready to go. The nock lights up as it passes the magnet and stays lit for 15 seconds then it blinks until it is passed by the magnet again.

G5 G Force: I got a single G5 nock at a cost of 19.99, it comes packaged in a hard plastic packaging with the nock, and battery, brief instructions were on the back of the packaging. Battery life is 25+ hours and weighs 38 grains. The nock comes with the battery needing to be installed the instructions did not tell you how to install the battery, but it is pretty simple you just push the battery into the nock. Once the battery is in the nock you just push it into the back of the arrow, it went in easily and fits snugly. When you have the nock installed you are ready to go, it activates automatically when the bow is shot, it stays lit for 10 seconds and then blinks until it is deactivated. To deactivate you tap the end of the nock three times on a hard surface.

Firenock S Hunting: The Firenock S Hunting version single nock costs 19.95. The nock comes packaged loose in a plastic bag with the circuit, nock, battery, O ring, and instructions. The assembled nock weighs 27 grains and has a battery life of 24hrs or 48hrs with 1hr burn increments. The nock needs complete assembly circuit goes in the nock, the o ring on the battery, and then the battery onto the nock. It is a little tricky to install the battery, but it comes with full instructions that explain the assembly process very well. Once the nock is assembled you push it into the back of the arrow, it went in easily and fit snuggly. Once in the arrow you are ready to go. The nock is activated when you shoot, it stays lit until you shut it off. To deactivate the arrow you must tap the end of the arrow once on a hard surface.

Equipment Used

Bow used was a Mathews Reezen 6.5 shooting Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows at 294 fps. I was shooting into a Cabelas layered foam target. I also alternated which arrow I shot first so the length each nock was illuminated was the same.

Day One

The first day I was shooting at a 10 yard indoor range temp was set at 75 degrees and I varied the lighting conditions from all the lights on to just illuminating the target. I shot a total of 75 shots, 25 each nock. I tried to get all the nocks in red, but the tracer only came in orange and green, but the orange lit up looks just like the others. In the indoor range all the nocks looked about the same, with the tracer being the most dim with the lights on. When all the lights were off the Firenock looked just a bit brighter than the G Force. For the first 75 shots all nocks worked just as advertised.

Day Two

The second day I took the testing outside. It was 77 degrees with a slight breeze and I was shooting from before dusk until almost dark. Distance was from 10 to 30 yards. Again I shot a total of 75 shots, 25 each nock. This is where I started noticing some differences. Immediately you could see the difference in brightness between nocks. Again the Firenock and G Force where close, with the Firenock being a tad brighter, the Tracer was noticeably dimmer. The shooting commenced and at shot 27 the G Force nock shut off on its own, the nock activated and then went into blinking mode but the nock shut off before I was able to remove it from the target, the following shot the nock performed normally. The 49th shot again brought problems for the G Force. This time the nock activated normally went into blinking mode and blinked dimmer each time until it shut off, the next shot was normal and bright. The Firenock and Tracer worked flawlessly throughout the day.

Day Three

The third day I shot in the middle of the day with bright sunshine at about 86 degrees, distance ranging from 10 to 40 yards. Again I shot a total 0f 75 shots, 25 each nock. This is where the brightness of the nocks really made a difference. Again the Tracer was the dimmest, but out to 20 yards you could still see it, but when it went into blinking mode it was quite hard to see, anything past 20 yards was almost impossible to see in the sun. The Firenock and G Force were visible out to 40 yards, but I found it difficult to see the G Force when it went into blinking mode at 40 yards. The Firenock and Tracer again performed flawlessly the entire day. The G Force again had problems, shot 52 and 53 it shut off on its own. It would activate and then go into blinking mode but shut off before I removed it from the target. I also noticed that at the end of the day it seemed slightly dimmer than before.

Day Four

The fourth day brought the most comfortable conditions 75 degrees and overcast. Shooting 75 shots 25 for each nock at ranges from 10 to 40 yards. With the overcast conditions it was much easier to see all the nocks. Again the Tracer was the dimmest and as the day went on it got noticeably dimmer, but still worked flawlessly all day. The Firenock remained bright and worked every shot. Day four was the demise of the G Force nock. The first 6 shots of the day it performed just as advertised and just as bright as day one. The 81st and 82nd shot it shut off after it started blinking. Shot 83 and 84 shot normally. Shot 85 was normal, but it would not shut off at first it took four tries to finally deactivate it. Shot 86 shut off after blinking mode. Shot 87 the nock activated but shut off on impact. Shot 88 it performed normally and was easy to shut off. Shot 89 is where the nock died, it did not activate at all. I continued to shoot with the other nocks until reaching 100 shots each to see if it would “wake up” because it seemed after a malfunction it would sometimes work better than before, but it did not work at all I checked the battery and all the connections but it did not work.

Extra Shots

I continued to shoot the Firenock and Tracer for about 20 to 30 more shots, the 100 shot period was over so I just shot them with my other arrows as I was practicing. Again both nocks worked every time as advertised, although the Tracer was noticeably dimmer that day one, I suspect the battery is starting to go but cant check it because you can not change the battery.

Pros and Cons of Each Nock

G Force:

Pros - Easy Installation, Easy activation and deactivation, battery is replaceable and practice nocks are available, blinking mode comes on to soon.

Cons - The nock is a lot heavier than the other two, it is one of the most expensive nocks available, not as reliable as I would have liked.

Tracer:

Pros - Easy Installation, Durable all one piece construction, very reliable, practice nocks available.

Cons - Magnet must be installed on bow, accidental activation is a concern, not very bright, battery not replaceable must buy new nock when dead.

Firenock:

Pros- lightest of all nocks tested, very reliable, very bright, numerous color options, nocks are interchangeable, replaceable battery, durable, practice nocks available, easy to activate.

Cons - price, it is one of the most expensive nocks, assembly is a little difficult, deactivation takes more effort than comparable nocks.

Personal thoughts

This test was a fun opportunity to compare one of the best new accessories I have tried in a long time. First I want to say that this is the first year I am shooting a lighted nock, and not only is it fun but it also can be very helpful. When you make a good shot you can see the arrow flight perfectly straight, but you make on mistake in your form, grip, or you punch the trigger you see it in your arrow flight, I did not think you would be able to notice, but if you make a bad shot the arrow will tell you. Also, the nocks might just pay for themselves your first bad shot, if you miss the target and go into some high grass this nocks will make finding the arrow a lot easier. Lastly the lighted nock might be able to save you a deer, you could instantly see where you shot the deer, you could find the arrow easier if it a pass through, and if it gets stuck in the deer just wait till dark and follow the light.

All the nocks performed better than I thought, obviously the reliability of the Tracer and Firenock were superb, but if you were to just use the G5 for hunting you should know it will last through all hunting situations. After all is said and done I think I will stick with the Firenock, the Tracer is cheaper and did perform just as well, but throughout time without the opportunity to change batteries the Firenock will pay for itself, not to mention its brighter and you don’t have to mess with any magnets.

Thanks for reading and I suggest you make your own decision on what nocks to use, but if you get the chance do a same kind of test I would recommend it and the results should point you in the right direction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Lumenock?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

did not include the lumenock in this test.

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

davecz, Did you use the extreme shock battery end cap on your firenock or not?

Tom2008, I am one of the lighted nock testers as well and I have the lumenock in my test and I should have my testing and review done by tomorrow night.
    If it's Brown it's Down...
    Strother Infintiy 29"/65lbs 404gr GT XT Hunters tipped with T3's and ST, Limbdriver, Stokerized, MBG Flashpoint,Firenocks

XS cap..

Quote Originally Posted by thelefty41 View Post
    davecz, Did you use the extreme shock battery end cap on your firenock or not?

Tom2008, I am one of the lighted nock testers as well and I have the lumenock in my test and I should have my testing and review done by tomorrow night.
    No, he did not as I have not send him any, nor he has requested any. In most cases, one will not need one. For long term uses, it is a really nice to have deal.
    Dorge O Huang Hidden Content Tel: (815) 780-1695 C: (708) 267-0474
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: Hidden Content • Web Store: Hidden Content
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane® Jig, AeroRest™, APS, PAPS, AeroPoint™ with FACT™(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, ACT, CTI, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, AeroConcept™, AeroBowString Jig, Traumahawk™, Dagger™, and Hydro® systems.

very nice review
    2016 Athens Ace Crackerized

Athens Field Staff** Monster Raxx Shooting Staff ** Hips Targets Pro Staff **U-Slide Shooting Staff
    **DLC Camera Pro Staff ** Bow Rattler Shooting Staff

bout Guest

Lumenock?

I really understand why you would not want Lumenock in your review .( becouse they work so much better than all the ones you tested it just would not be fair.( I to have tested all the above) Just use great nocks and you don't have to worry.

good review. I would like to add to the Firenock data you have. They are sensitive to cold temperature. I had issues last season with them in temperatures in the mid-20's. I did contact them about them not activating when shot in colder temps and they replied the temperature does affect the nocks. This may be a problem with other nocks as well, I personally don't know, it may be something you could do a review on this winter.

This was not intended to bash Firenock, they are a sponsor on another forum which I'm a moderator on. This was just intended to add more information so no one has issues during their hunt as I did last year.
    Mathews Switchback
    G5 LE Optix
    QAD HD
    G5 Meta Peep

I did not use the shock protector I didn't seem to need it but I will add it to the practice arrows in the future

I did not test the lumenock because I wanted something easy to turn off and I heard they damage your arrows

and I will update the more I shoot, when it gets cold I will keep testing

Cold temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by noobi View Post
    They are sensitive to cold temperature. I had issues last season with them in temperatures in the mid-20's. I did contact them about them not activating when shot in colder temps and they replied the temperature does affect the nocks. This may be a problem with other nocks as well, I personally don't know, it may be something you could do a review on this winter.
    Firenock is the only lighted nock that can handle really cold temperature, as a matter of fact, as low as -17F. All electronic need battery to operate. Battery are not the same and some have great shelf life (+20 years), some have great blast rate, and some are just cheap (junk).

In the core, Firenock use Motorola (ON Technology) fuzzy logic chip set to handle wide temperature changes for a reason. Pure digital system will not be able to handle cold temperature unless it have plenty of power (in case of a lighted nock, the battery is always tiny in comparison)

In case of cold weather, a fresh battery is always a good insurance, as when one use the lighted nock for practice, it uses power and drain down the battery. As temperature drop, the battery will have less power to handle the operation.

Here is a link from a customer of mine who send me pictures of his hunt at -12F at Winsonsin. His original post is also posted here at AT which he PM me to let me know. Bottom line is that when you ready for a hunt, change to fresh batteries and your Firenock will function as low as -17F. Which is also why I insist to have a replaceable battery for Firenock since v1.0 back at October, 2006.

http://www.firenock.com/Reviews/2009...Weatherwax.pdf
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: Hidden Content • Web Store: Hidden Content
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane® Jig, AeroRest™, APS, PAPS, AeroPoint™ with FACT™(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, ACT, CTI, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, AeroConcept™, AeroBowString Jig, Traumahawk™, Dagger™, and Hydro® systems.

swet info...

i have been contemplating getting lighted nocks...this definitely helps with my research.

thanks

gr8

Quote Originally Posted by Firenock View Post
    Firenock is the only lighted nock that can handle really cold temperature, as a matter of fact, as low as -17F. All electronic need battery to operate. Battery are not the same and some have great shelf life (+20 years), some have great blast rate, and some are just cheap (junk).

In the core, Firenock use Motorola (ON Technology) fuzzy logic chip set to handle wide temperature changes for a reason. Pure digital system will not be able to handle cold temperature unless it have plenty of power (in case of a lighted nock, the battery is always tiny in comparison)

In case of cold weather, a fresh battery is always a good insurance, as when one use the lighted nock for practice, it uses power and drain down the battery. As temperature drop, the battery will have less power to handle the operation.

Here is a link from a customer of mine who send me pictures of his hunt at -12F at Winsonsin. His original post is also posted here at AT which he PM me to let me know. Bottom line is that when you ready for a hunt, change to fresh batteries and your Firenock will function as low as -17F. Which is also why I insist to have a replaceable battery for Firenock since v1.0 back at October, 2006.

http://www.firenock.com/Reviews/2009...Weatherwax.pdf
    Just going from what your reply was(I still have it if you'd like to review it). As far as replacing the battery, I bought it late October, shot it (at the most) six times to check arrow flight, then used it in December. If I need to replace batteries with little use, then a better battery needs to be included with the nock.
    I was also told the shelf life of the battery was 13 months; I own one for less then 2 months and then told to replace it after 6 shots!!??
    Like I stated above, I didn't post this to bash Firenock, I advised them of a personal experience I had along with PM reply from you personally.
    Mathews Switchback
    G5 LE Optix
    QAD HD
    G5 Meta Peep

The truth need to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by noobi View Post
    JI bought it late October, shot it (at the most) six times to check arrow flight, then used it in December. If I need to replace batteries with little use, then a better battery needs to be included with the nock.
    I was also told the shelf life of the battery was 13 months; I own one for less then 2 months and then told to replace it after 6 shots!!??
    Like I stated above, I didn't post this to bash Firenock, I advised them of a personal experience I had along with PM reply from you personally.
    Hi Hargis; I am sorry that you must had one of the bad battery that we had last year. If you recall, I given out a ton of battery as they are not up to par, if what you are telling me is true, a bad one must had got into your pack while we are trying to QC all the bad ones out. I thank you for pointing that out as it will be disappointing to me too. To lick that problem, I now have the single pack all date stamped. And the 3 pack have no battery included in the pack. They are packed separately. So the battery pack you receive will always less than 6 months old to prevent the issue you described. As far as I know only 2 other fellows got a pack with a bad battery and they both notified me. Now the part that will make you smile. You know that the system still works and you only need a new battery to get it to function again.

Dorge

thanks for the Great review,, I can buy two, Easton Tracer nocks for the price of one fire nock how does that save me money??

Great review!! Thanks a ton. I will be getting a Firenock if/when I get one!

Derek
    Shooting: it's what you should be doing instead of reading this.

I always like reading a good review

the one thing that glared out at me is $20 ....for a nock?

WOW....I had been discussing with my dad maybe trying lighted nocks this year but it will never happen at that price. Thats insane and I find it hard to believe that there are many people willing to cough up $20 each for nocks

where is G5's and Firenok's customer base? not on my side of town lol

When I shoot an arrow at a deer I never plan on getting it back to reuse. Sometimes I do and I consider it lucky...but when I release the string I pretty much assume a $20 arrow/broadhead is going to get destroyed. I can't even imagine making them $40 arrows. I suppose you stand a better chance of at least recovering the nock but still....wow
    You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ya JackWagon

If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice.

I have messed with the G-Force nocks a bit, as well as the Carbon Express nocks, Lumenocks and tracers.

I can say that I don't have enough experience with the G-Force to really pass a decent judgement, other than its complicated and expensive and it worked fine for the 20 or so times I messed with it.

The Carbon Express nocks loved to break in half.

Lumenocks are a crap shoot, half the time they light, half they don't. I have heard they redesigned them, and hopefully they are working out.... they are really nice folks.

Tracers I have the most experience with. With the old style packaging, you had a lot of issues with accidental activation, resulting in about 50% of the nocks being DOA... if you had the foresight and ability to sort through them in the store, you'd be just fine. Easton credited our shop 100% for every single dead one we sent in. Since they redesigned the package, the DOA ratio is down to less than 10% (thats a round about guess by the way).

As noted, the Tracers seem funny about how bright they start out. You might have two in a package, and one will look like the sun and the other a tea candle. Both will run the recommended time though. I have one of the orginals that has well over 1000 shots on it starting last summer and it still works. If you can keep them from accidentally getting turned on, they really do offer quite a good effective life, and they light every single time. I have yet to have one not light on the shot, and I've shot a lot of them. I have had a couple hit solid objects (don't act like you've never missed) and break, or for some reason go into sleep mode. Nocks and arrows are not designed to be shot into trees or rocks.... and you'll tear stuff up. At the end of the day though, they are about as good a unit as I've seen.

$20.00 is $20.00

Quote Originally Posted by trebor69 View Post
    the one thing that glared out at me is $20 ....for a nock?
    The real question is what are you buying for that $20.00.
    Single Firenock packs comes with 2 practice nocks, a battery, a PCB circuit, and an MIL spec O-ring.

To start with, there is the 0.01 mm tolerance, Bayer™ Makalon® virgin Polycarbonate, with German made precision moulded nock. Then there is a Motorola (On technology) fuzzy logic chip set as core, a motion sensor sub system, a digital time delay sub system, a ground fault, and a static drain, just on the circuit alone. The activation is a 65G, hermitically sealed, 24K gold plated, 10,000,000 cycle, New Jersey made MIL spec acceleration switch. Then there is the New York made 24K gold plated MIL Spec pin connector, and the titanium alloy 24K gold plated wire connector (which require 5-axle 2-arm robotic machine to make). To complete the system, the LED is 11,000 LUX 15 degree focus beam LED with up to 1.2 miles visibility in total darkness and 55 yard in broad day light which we tone down to 1,500 LUX to give it 24 Hours of continuous light with a fresh battery. Then added the internal patents, and multi US patent pending.

With field changeable nock and battery as show in GIF below

Let me ask you, what is that $20.00 really buying you? (A miniaturized version of the 2nd stage arming system of a missile system, impact switch and all for the deactivation process of Firenock)

FYI, to get that switch in quantity of 1 in civil spec, it is $105.00. That is if they are willing to sell you just one.

You are right, i wish i could get the sales price down, but they are what they are.. expensive to make. The market will decide if they are worth the investment or not. As a matter of fact, I do have designed a cheaper one and sell it for much less, our Lightning Nock, MSRP $12.95 with a battery. My vision is for a quality nock, and was talked into making a cheap one too. So far it seems to be a good idea, and the sales of both item shows it. As far as Firenock prices, they do cost more; but people seem to buy one and then follow up with more. Considering archers are an extremely finicky bunch, something must be working better.

Quote Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
    thanks for the Great review,, I can buy two, Easton Tracer nocks for the price of one fire nock how does that save me money??
    You get what you pay for.

Do you want a Yugo or a Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by Firenock View Post
    The real question is what are you buying for that $20.00.
    Single Firenock packs comes with 2 practice nocks, a battery, a PCB circuit, and an MIL spec O-ring.

To start with, there is the 0.01 mm tolerance, Bayer™ Makalon® virgin Polycarbonate, with German made precision moulded nock. Then there is a Motorola (On technology) fuzzy logic chip set as core, a motion sensor sub system, a digital time delay sub system, a ground fault, and a static drain, just on the circuit alone. The activation is a 65G, hermitically sealed, 24K gold plated, 10,000,000 cycle, New Jersey made MIL spec acceleration switch. Then there is the New York made 24K gold plated MIL Spec pin connector, and the titanium alloy 24K gold plated wire connector (which require 5-axle 2-arm robotic machine to make). To complete the system, the LED is 11,000 LUX 15 degree focus beam LED with up to 1.2 miles visibility in total darkness and 55 yard in broad day light which we tone down to 1,500 LUX to give it 24 Hours of continuous light with a fresh battery. Then added the internal patents, and multi US patent pending.

With field changeable nock and battery as show in GIF below

Let me ask you, what is that $20.00 really buying you? (A miniaturized version of the 2nd stage arming system of a missile system, impact switch and all for the deactivation process of Firenock)

FYI, to get that switch in quantity of 1 in civil spec, it is $105.00. That is if they are willing to sell you just one.

You are right, i wish i could get the sales price down, but they are what they are.. expensive to make. The market will decide if they are worth the investment or not. As a matter of fact, I do have designed a cheaper one and sell it for much less, our Lightning Nock, MSRP $12.95 with a battery. My vision is for a quality nock, and was talked into making a cheap one too. So far it seems to be a good idea, and the sales of both item shows it. As far as Firenock prices, they do cost more; but people seem to buy one and then follow up with more. Considering archers are an extremely finicky bunch, something must be working better.
    well I will sure credit you with sounding like a lot of effort went in to quality parts to build a quality product....but

I don't care if you went thru a subspace worm hole to get Vulcan fuzzy logic chips then crossed over the neutral zone to get Romulan cloaking circuitry then on over to Kronos to get a Klingon made nock and assimilated it all together with Borg technology assembled by master Ferengi on planet Ferenginar

cuz you're right $20 is $20

I am sure its a solid product and that laundry list of high tech stuff you posted above makes the price what it is. I just dont see many people spending $20 on a nock. I've never seen one in person(of any brand) cuz nobody I know uses them...only seen them on hunting videos

If you're selling them like hotcakes though more power to ya...I would to if I could.

oh and P.S. is A miniaturized version of the 2nd stage arming system of a missile system really being used as a hunting term? lol
    I'm not sure if missile systems are even legal to hunt with in Ohio lmao I'll have to check the regs
    You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ya JackWagon

If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by davecz View Post
    I did not use the shock protector I didn't seem to need it but I will add it to the practice arrows in the future

I did not test the lumenock because I wanted something easy to turn off and I heard they damage your arrows

and I will update the more I shoot, when it gets cold I will keep testing
    I've never heard of a lumenock damaging arrows. I know back when they first came out people had trouble, but since then I've heard nothing bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bout View Post
    I really understand why you would not want Lumenock in your review .( becouse they work so much better than all the ones you tested it just would not be fair.( I to have tested all the above) Just use great nocks and you don't have to worry.
    I've had my best success with Lumenock also. G5 nocks are just way too expensive. Fire nocks are just not as bright as they could be. Tracer nocks are neat, but I don't like the idea with the magnet. Lumenocks are just too simple to use and they are really really bright!

Nice review. Sounds like alot of time and effort went into it.
    Halon X

Bowtech Invasion

I thought the Easton magnetic nocks were pretty reliable, but expensive. The force activated nocks didn't work for me very well.

Thanks for your review.

I did my own this afternoon.
    Opened a pack of Tracer nocks I got from the rep.
    DOA, I don't need that, even if they're free.

I didn't care for the Luminock last year as it had to push into the arrow to light up. It never failed to light however.
    I'm convinced now, a fool proof, mechanical switch is the way to go. Went down and bought a 3 pack of Luminocks for this years Gold Tips, installed them and away I go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast