Archery Talk Forum banner

Gold Tip vs Carbon Express........

14K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  captbrandon 
#1 ·
Well i am interested in buying new arrows. I have had a bad experience with the HIT stuff that Easton has to offer and am ready for some new arrows. At the moment i have in mind the Carbon Express Maxima hunters or Gold Tip Pro Hunters but i am open to other opinions. I will use the arrows for a mix of hunting/3d,hunting of course being the more dominate event. I currently shoot at Hoyt maxxis at 55#/26" but that will be changing to around 58#/26.5". I know that you can use any arrow for 3d but am trying to find the most effective for both and still maintain good penetration in hunting situtations. Would like to stay under or around $120 bare shaft.

Also needing ideal opinions on what type and length of fletchings are most effective for a good 3d/hunting arrow.

Thanks,Mo:shade:

#5 ·
i can get em about 130 shipped

#6 ·
I have found the Maxims to be very nice arrows and some say the tolerance and spine is more consistant than the GoldTip arrows but, the price is alot more too.
The old saying you get what you pay for I guess, With that being said I shoot GoldTips unsually the Expeditions or Velocity Hunters.
(Cut and squared on both ends and I get my wt. in a dozen with 2 grains)

I am not a competitive archer and do not shoot alot of paper so for hunting and occasional 3D Goldtips suit me fine.

#7 ·
thanks all i will be doing is occasional 3ds

#8 ·
I have used both, i have stuck with the GT 5575 expedition hunters lately because they are dirt cheap. The GPI on the 5575 and the old maxima hunters were about the same, so the total weight was about the same, but the spine was a bit stiffer on the maximas, my old bow liked that more, but when i shot them side by side with the 5575s and my new katera xl......there was NO WAY i was going to pay twice the money for the maximas.

I think that the GTs hunters are GREAT arrows........but i have been throwing around the idea of going back to maximas lately for some reason too.

cant go wrong either way, gotta see what the extra money is worth to you i guess

Joe

#9 ·
well i have heard the maximas have a better...oh what do you call it? lol straightness tolerance or whatever per dozen.(something like that) I have never shot carbon express though so im am not fond of them but i hve shot goldtip expeditions and they were great idk why i switched from goldtip

#12 ·
Gold Tip pro hunters are the best arrow I have ever shot, hands down. I can't say how the maximas shoot, but I have shot other gold tips, beman, and easton. The pro hunters fly perfectly and group tighter than the others, plus these things are as tough as they come.

#19 ·
A buddy and I were just talking about this the other day. I shoot GT5575's. I also have shot CX Heritage but they are heavy. I feel the vanes of CX don't hold up as well. I use to shoot a WB. He changed to GT because they flew better. He said the spine was weak and to get a stiffer spine weight went up to much for his liking. I am CX makes arrows that would work. But why change when GT5575 are cheap, light, and fly great.

#20 ·
I have shot both the Gold Tip Pro Hunters and the Maxima Hunters. I primarily use the Maxima Hunters for hunting now. They just seem to be a little more consistent and group a bit better at longer ranges, like 50-70 yards with broadheads. I've started shooting the Maxima Blue Streaks to compare with the Maxima Hunters. The Blue Streak Selects have tighter tolerences than the Maxima Hunters, are a bit lighter (about .6 gpi lighter) and are supposedly "dual spined" whatever that means. I do know that they shoot absolutely fantastic. They group even better than the Maxima Hunters with broadheads, and I didn't think that was possible. I fletch all of my own arrows and compared them with rt. helical Vanetec HP's and 2" Fusions. The Blue Streak Select Signature 350's came already fletched and wrapped with blazers in straight w/rt. offset. Even with this configuration, they shot my thunderheads and slick trick mag's perfectly. They are quite expensive though ($162/doz + tax). I believe I paid $140 for the Maxima Hunter Shafts, which was the same as the Gold Tip Pro Hunter fletched arrows per doz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.