Archery Talk Forum banner

Who thinks IBO should have a Known yardage class for men and women? And why?

7K views 70 replies 48 participants last post by  silhouette13 
#1 ·
Would this help expand the sport of archery? Would more ASA KNOWN shooters shoot IBO? And from a hunting perspective, do most bowhunters rely on the accuracy of a range finder?

#3 ·
Most every time I get in my stand, I check the distance of trees or object around me with a range finder. I do this just in case one sleeps up on me and I don't have time to range it. I shoot ASA in Senior Hunter (Known and Unknown). This class seems to be a small class at most local shoots. But, the known yardage classes are full. Just my observation.

#9 ·
A better question would be why not? I can't wrap my head around not having a known class and why anyone would be against it? If it brings more participation and allows people who might not do it without a known class, why would you say no, no, no?!? It makes no sense! It literally doesn't hurt anyone to allow some the use of a rangefinder that either struggle with yardage for whatever reason or don't have the time or finances it takes to learn, but would love to be able to compete! From am orginizations stand point, it brings in more revenue, and that's just good business!

#52 ·
i think that the main issue (atleast one) is that it would mean that every qualifier would need to have a range set up for known. that being said, clubs around here have a hard enough time keeping one range in good shape, and in the northeast some clubs simply dont have the space.

to have known and unknown on the same range would be disaster.

also adding to the already 30 or so classes is not trivial. but since we are on the topic, why not have known cub class thru open known classes....does not seem fair to make the kids learn to judge if they are not going to need the skill as an adult. so 30 known classes added to make it nice for everyone.....

#53 ·
to have known and unknown on the same range would be disaster.

In the ASA, the known 50 shoots the same range as the open Pro's at the same time and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

#54 ·
In the ASA, the known 50 shoots the same range as the open Pro's at the same time and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
We have known and unkown at my range. Doesn't seem to be a problem. The only problem we have is the known class is getting bigger all the time. Bigge than the Open Money class by twice as much.

#10 ·
Yes they should. Practically every current hunter and future hunter owns or will own a range finder to hunt with. As a member of the IBO back in the 80's, we certainly frowned upon the range finders and prided ourselves in judging yardage. It is actually what helped launch the current ASA/IBO format. But times have changed and so have the archers/hunters. With more and more archers shooting multiple types of disciplines, all the organizations should be looking at all ways to increase attendance. After getting a chance to shoot in FITA, Field, Indoor, and 3D events over my career, I realize more and more that 3D is a game of yardage guessing. If I am right in guessing my yardage I have a roughly 4-5" circle of error and still score a ten. In the other disciplines that same 4-5" circle means you are dropping points. I still love 3D, but the IBO really need to get the "Dot" shooters out there!

#12 ·
Yes they should. I have been trying for a couple years to get them to start one
It would be great for people that don't have the time to practice judging and for the field shooters
The only why not that you ever hear is because 3d is supposed to be a hunting situation and people that think that way are very close minded. So many people use rangefinders for hunting plus why the stools ,long stabs,scopesand lenses aloud in IBO then

#14 ·
This dude's right. Why would anyone want to shoot at a target, foam, animal, or otherwise and know with absolute certainty how far away it is?
Am I the only one hearing that loud GONGGGGG! in the background?

#29 ·
good conversation I was a very good athlete in high school and college <there will never be a level playing field> some athletes are just more superior lighting changes in the woods and the field in a heartbeat bottom line to me is lets support archery!!!!! its what we love

#30 ·
First I will say yes!! I think the IBO needs a known yardage class! Secondly I also get sick of people slamming the IBO. While I understand that it wouldn't be hard to cheat an IBO event. However, over the last several years I've made peers for the 3rd leg of the triple crown and shot with most of the guys that are at the top of my class year in and year out! They are all great shooters. This year I had a one point lead going into the last shoot and knew I would be shooting with the guy I had to beat. He beat me by 5 points and won the triple crown. I shot with him the year before and new it would be tough. As far as I'm concerned the best shooter in our class won the triple crown. I am extremely proud of my 2nd place finish behind him and looking forward to the competition again next year. Basically what I am saying is that a lot of great shooters win IBO events and people on here are basically putting us all down every time they make comments such as the ones above. JW

#33 ·
3D shooting for me is about making the best shot by judging the yardage to the best of my abilities! I think a known yardage class takes away from the prestige or 3D shooting, Not too mention in a known yardage class there are some guys out there who shoot so good that their almost guaranteed to win every event, This is where judging comes into play! Your skill isn't just shooting its judging!

#34 ·
Absolutely YES! No one is saying to remove yardage judging, but to increase participation, grow the membership and be more inclusive to ALL archers, why not have a class for them? There are some great archers who also hunt that dont shoot 3d tournaments like Reo Wilde, Dave Cousins, Paul Tedford and Ben English just to name a few. The 2014 IBO Worlds registration as of Friday 08-01-14, was less than 1,100 people, we used to get over that in MBO alone and over 5,000 at a shoot. The ASA shoot in Kentucky had over 1,700! I emailed Bryan Marcum, president of the IBO, and he did everything he could to discredit the questions I had, to the point of calling me a "beginner" and looking up my finish at Erie to add insult to injury. This kind of thinking will continue to drive membership and participation down in the IBO. PM me for a transcript of the emails if you question his response. (BTW my initial email to Marcum was asking why there was not a "move up" rule for AHC, which I was told that my question was baseless!?!?! WVH cleans a 40 target course and shoots 27 out of 40 11's and I am wrong for asking about a move up rule?!?!?)

#36 ·
I like the idea of allowing shooters to "graduate" into the unknown classes if they so choose to. By having known distances, it gives people new to the game or people migrating over from other venues and not familiar with the targets to get broken in to the game and work on their form AND their "judging skills" while still being able to compete and not losing arrows all the time or being embarrassed by launching boolitts out into the trees or otherwise destroying equipment.
I'm not positive of this, but I thought I read somewhere that in ASA the known distance classes are the fastest growing of all the shooting classes in ASA?

It is better to have it so everyone that wants to can compete and to have options to stay "known" or work to "unknown", or just stay in unknown. Since known and unknown classes do not compete directly against each other, "what difference does it make"...nobody in known is stepping on those in unknown, and vice-versa.

#37 ·
There's absolutely no good reason not to introduce a couple of known yardage classes, especially if the goal is to increase participation and increase revenue.

If they do not, attendance will continue to decline or stay flat while the Asa grows.

If they are satisfied with being pushed aside and marginalized, they will continue to ignore the customer base. It appears that's exactly what they want. Baffling.

#38 ·
there's absolutely no good reason not to introduce a couple of known yardage classes, especially if the goal is to increase participation and increase revenue.

If they do not, attendance will continue to decline or stay flat while the asa grows.

If they are satisfied with being pushed aside and marginalized, they will continue to ignore the customer base. It appears that's exactly what they want. Baffling.

exactly!!!!!!!

#39 ·
I found out a long time ago that I cannot judge distances. Always used a range finder even back in the 70s to hunt. Before that, I never shot over 25 yards while hunting. I have shot only one 3D in my life and found that every target from 25 yds to 45 yds looks the same and I lost about $100 worth of arrows in one day.

Since field archery is dying, I would love to shoot 3D. We have 3D animals set up on our range every day and I still cannot judge the yardage. I promise that I would not take anything away from the unknown shooters. I only want to shoot outdoors without losing all my arrows and I do not get a thrill when I do guess the distance right.

#40 ·
I think it would be a good idea because there are a lot of great shooters that can't judge yardage and that would make it more competitive for everyone, besides you still have to make the shot. Here in our state we are going to have a known yardage championship shoot in 2015, should be interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.