Archery Talk Forum banner

Aluminum vs Carbon arrows

10K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  wildcatter109 
#1 ·
What's your opinion of Aluminum compared to Carbon arrows. Faster, stronger, easier to work with?
Thanks, Framemaker

#3 ·
That's pretty much it.

Aluminum arrows was all we had back in the day. I'd like to have all the money I wasted on them.

Every time you miss the target, bent arrow.

Shoot a deer, bent arrow.

If you shoot groups, it can bend your arrows.

They will actually bend from just repeated shooting.

Heck, they even bend from just lowering your bow down from a stand on a rope if your quiver is attached to your bow.

When I made the switch to carbon arrows, I haven't looked back.

As long as you flex a carbon arrow every time before you shoot, there is no problems.

They don't bend. They are either broke or their not.

Skeet.

#4 ·
Aluminum arrows
Great tolerances and consistent spine
Aluminum arrows have some of the best spec’s out there. The spine is more consistent than most carbon arrows at any price. The weight differs less per shat, etc.
More choices (at least for now)
You really could custom tune your setup better with aluminum arrows. The spine availability was much better than carbons. IMHO carbons are a”dumbed” down marketing tool. You went from a system that gave many choices to a system that has .400, .300, etc and is used over a much broader range. The bad news is you don’t have as many choices now….the good news is pro-shops and manufactures don’t have to make so many different arrows……which is nice for them. It really torques me to see .340/2315….it’s a sign for what’s in the future……less selection.
Easier to build, cut, re-fletch
If you build your own arrows you can cut them with a pipe cutter or any arrow saw. When re-fletching arrows they don’t nick like a carbon and you don’t have to use a wrap etc to get the vanes off.
Easier to tune after being built i.e. heating and rotating inserts, etc
If you “tune” each arrow….and you should…with the hot melt you can rotate the nock which can aid in broad head tuning. Some people use hot melt in carbons for this reason but they can come out….and using epoxy works well its permanent.
Can change arrow length easier
I buy new bows a lot. So if I can use the same arrows it saves me money. With aluminum I can just heat the insert and take it out and cut the arrows and reinstall the insert if they are too long. As you know even with the same draw length certain bow will take a shorter arrow. Too long, oh well but at least I have some options.
Great Penetration
Because aluminums are heavier than “most” carbons you get better penetration. Many folks “think” little carbons penetrate better because they sink into foam better because of the small diameter. But on a broad head tipped arrow it’s all about weight….if you don’t understand that you really need to do more research and I don’t want to get derailed here. No BS here a carbon of the same weight will penetrate as well…..possibly better if the spine is stiffer. But again most people that shoot carbons tend to shoot much lighter arrows.
Pull from targets MUCH easier
I mainly hunt these days so I shoot a lot of 3D targets. The aluminums pull so much eaiser than carbon. No soaps, slick stuff, pulling aids, etc and nothing to “stink” up my hunting arrows.

Safety
Aluminum arrows don’t crack and hide issues that can be dangerous. I don’t have to “bend” or inspect my arrows after each shot. Many carbon shooters do not do it either and well….that’s their choice. But either way checking them or not has its drawbacks. If an aluminum arrow bends slightly it will still shoot and won’t cause a safety issue…..if its bent bad enough to cause a safety issues it will be very visible.
Versatile
I still like to small game hunt and stump shoot. I can use older aluminum arrows for this. If they aren’t perfectly straight they will fly well enough and you can straighten them over and over with a jig. When they hit hard surfaces like rocks, trees, whatever, they don’t get cracks in them that are dangerous like a carbon. Plus since they are cheaper and can be straightened I can afford to use the arrows in this fashion. Carbons are either too expensive or too dangerous for this IMO. Great arrow for Judo tips.

Better for game
When you leave an arrow in an animal it can break. If an aluminum arrow breaks you pull out the broken piece and continue skinning the animal. If a carbon breaks you either cut around the break to make sure you don’t eat any carbon fibers or toss the shoulder etc…..either way it’s a hassle or a waste of meat.

Price
The cheapest arrow with the best spec’s you can find. Period.

Toughness
Aluminum arrows are tougher than people think. The reason folks “think” they are not is simple. As bow speed became an obsession with archers and companies gladly filled that trough to increase sales aluminum arrows had to get lighter to compete with the trend. So they went to thin walled fatter arrows to gain spine while decreasing weight. The end results were faster arrows BUT they were very easy to bend. These were the XX12 & XX13 series arrows. The XX14’s are “in between” in toughness but the XX15, 16, 17’s are tougher than folks think. The XX19’s are just under rebar….lol. I routinely shoot through game wash the blood off my arrow and change the blades. A quick spin test and verification shot and it’s back in my quiver.

Conclusion
Aluminum arrows do have many benefits over carbon. Myths that they bend easy and carbons are either straight or broke while wrong certainly help to add to the confusion. Many folks that bash aluminum have never even probably shot one but continue to parrot the myths as fact. When you really get down to it….it’s all about speed……and always has been. With a carbon you can now shoot an arrow that is spined correctly and light enough to damage or blow up your bow. With aluminum you could do that so I guess that sealed its fate for many archers. But if you want a great versatile arrow and can live with a bow that does everything but drop jaws at the local pro-shop chronograph……..you might be surprised what a aluminum can really offer given the chance.

#12 ·
Aluminum arrows
Great tolerances and consistent spine
Aluminum arrows have some of the best spec’s out there. The spine is more consistent than most carbon arrows at any price. The weight differs less per shat, etc.

That only depends on what grade of carbon arrow you get. All of the upper priced carbon arrows has very tight tolerances.

IMHO carbons are a”dumbed” down marketing tool. You went from a system that gave many choices to a system that has .400, .300, etc and is used over a much broader range. The bad news is you don’t have as many choices now.

We still have lots of choices with carbons. Lots of people are fooled by the numbering process. Lets take a Radial X-Weave 300.... It's not a 300 spine at all. It's actually a .359 spine.

Can change arrow length easier
I buy new bows a lot. So if I can use the same arrows it saves me money. With aluminum I can just heat the insert and take it out and cut the arrows and reinstall the insert if they are too long. As you know even with the same draw length certain bow will take a shorter arrow. Too long, oh well but at least I have some options.
Great Penetration

I've been using the same carbon arrow lengths on a bunch of different bows, some with a lower DW, and they still were very accurate.

Carbon arrows will out shoot most anyone

I mainly hunt these days so I shoot a lot of 3D targets. The aluminums pull so much eaiser than carbon. No soaps, slick stuff, pulling aids, etc and nothing to “stink” up my hunting arrows.

Yep, and it's also easier to bend an aluminum arrow if they are not pulled out of the target straight.

Aluminum arrows don’t crack and hide issues that can be dangerous. I don’t have to “bend” or inspect my arrows after each shot. Many carbon shooters do not do it either and well….that’s their choice. But either way checking them or not has its drawbacks. If an aluminum arrow bends slightly it will still shoot and won’t cause a safety issue…..if its bent bad enough to cause a safety issues it will be very visible.

Wow, it takes all of about 3 seconds to flex a carbon arrow.

Versatile
I still like to small game hunt and stump shoot. I can use older aluminum arrows for this. If they aren’t perfectly straight they will fly well enough and you can straighten them over and over with a jig. When they hit hard surfaces like rocks, trees, whatever, they don’t get cracks in them that are dangerous like a carbon. Plus since they are cheaper and can be straightened I can afford to use the arrows in this fashion. Carbons are either too expensive or too dangerous for this IMO. Great arrow for Judo tips.

Nope, aluminum arrows don't get cracks in them. But if you want to stump shoot, or miss and hit anything hard, you may as well kiss that arrow good bye.

Better for game
When you leave an arrow in an animal it can break. If an aluminum arrow breaks you pull out the broken piece and continue skinning the animal. If a carbon breaks you either cut around the break to make sure you don’t eat any carbon fibers or toss the shoulder etc…..either way it’s a hassle or a waste of meat.

I've never, in all my years with carbons, and with all the critters I've killed, lost any meat due to carbon fibers. Every time an arrow goes through a critter, the meat is blood shot anyway. So cutting a little away is just part of it.

Price
The cheapest arrow with the best spec’s you can find. Period.

You get what you pay for in arrows.

Toughness
Aluminum arrows are tougher than people think. The reason folks “think” they are not is simple. As bow speed became an obsession with archers and companies gladly filled that trough to increase sales aluminum arrows had to get lighter to compete with the trend. So they went to thin walled fatter arrows to gain spine while decreasing weight. The end results were faster arrows BUT they were very easy to bend. These were the XX12 & XX13 series arrows. The XX14’s are “in between” in toughness but the XX15, 16, 17’s are tougher than folks think. The XX19’s are just under rebar….lol. I routinely shoot through game wash the blood off my arrow and change the blades. A quick spin test and verification shot and it’s back in my quiver.

Conclusion
Aluminum arrows do have many benefits over carbon. Myths that they bend easy and carbons are either straight or broke while wrong certainly help to add to the confusion. Many folks that bash aluminum have never even probably shot one but continue to parrot the myths as fact. When you really get down to it….it’s all about speed……and always has been. With a carbon you can now shoot an arrow that is spined correctly and light enough to damage or blow up your bow. With aluminum you could do that so I guess that sealed its fate for many archers. But if you want a great versatile arrow and can live with a bow that does everything but drop jaws at the local pro-shop chronograph……..you might be surprised what a aluminum can really offer given the chance.
As I have said, I shot aluminum arrows for years and years. I cannot see one real life benefit of using them over a good carbon arrow.

IMO your one that's really reaching. If you or anyone else thinks for one second that an aluminum arrow is as durable as a carbon arrow, then your sadly mistaken and refuse to believe the facts. Much like a feather compared to a plastic vane. I've used them all [carbons, aluminum, feathers, plastic]and I do keep an open mind and tell it like it really is, not how I would like it to be.

#21 ·
I have to say, this guy knows his arrows!!!!! I couldn't have said it any better, it is kinda like who cares about all the benefits, if some guy needs speed the really light ones aren't the answer. But since I am a hunter, I have the finest arrows in the world = XX78 I have strayed to the plastic world and will never make that mistake again! I think the two top professional hunters in the world, Dwight Schul and Chuck Adams, have and always will use Easton Aluminum Arrows, and so do I! The finest arrow made with no equal = XX78 Super Slam's Over thirty years of bowhunting and 50 chasing game, I have tried carbon and proven they are not as good for hunting, the bigger the game the better aluminum get's, for target archers except 3-D, most shoot aluminum also, but pin point accuracy is all the worry about. good writ Deadquiet! :thumbs_up well put!

#8 ·
you can't fix a broken carbon but if you bend your aluminum arrow, you can bend it back quite easily...though it will take a little practice

#9 ·
I've shot both and have thought about going back to aluminum, but then I remember all the bent arrows I've had to throw away and I decide to stick with carbon. I did shoot ACC's for a couple of years and think they are the best of both worlds, and have thought about going back to those.

#11 ·
Aluminum vs Carbon ---- i like Aluminum for spots and i use carbon for deer carbon penetrates better than aluminium because it flexes when hits something hard in turn you loose penatration , carbon don't flex when it hits bone and has smaller diameter less friction

#15 ·
I shot aluminum for decades and there is no way I will ever shoot them again, I wasn't a competitive shooter back then but the maintenance on a aluminum arrow is kind of like wife maintenance. It never stops. Carbon is simple, they stay the same until you break them and if you choose gold tip you don't break them very often.

#17 ·
I'm an alum fan--always have been. Shot a few carbons and didn't like the increased bow noise. Read too many threads and have seen too many pics of carbons through hands/fingers so I'll stick with the XX75s. As far as bending--that's why I have an arrow straightener--and I'm not a spot shooter or pure target archer so I've never noticed any appreciable decrease in accuracy from bent shafts. I have noticed the improved penetration and quieter bow from them however.

#18 ·
I shoot both...actually all 3. Aluminums for indoor. All carbon for 3-D and aluminum / carbon for Field and hunting. I agree with deadquiet about the advantages of aluminum generally, which is why the Field and hunting arrows have it in them. The only reason I shoot all carbons for 3-D is because the 12 walls of aluminums were not the greatest in the durability department.

#19 ·
I can go up in spine and add weight to the front of my gold tips to increase weight and break down the spine and make them just as slow and heavy as an aluminum arrow. They however will have a better foc and thinner shaft for better wind drift and increased penetration. They will also be every bit as quiet.

Sure going ibo or 5 grains with aluminum or carbon with any bow will leave you with a weak or easily broken arrow.

Ive also seen a guy shoot a carbon arrows with a 1" aluminium collar glued to the front of his arrow shoot a 1" steel plate at 30 yards and do it over and over. Id like to see any aluminum arrow do that more than once.

I can shoot multiple arrows at the same dot in field shoots or 3d shoots and replace a nock once in a while. You cant do this with aluminum. You will end up replacing the whole arrow. I also dont have to have worry about someone bending my arrows pulling them out of the target.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

#20 ·
Carbon arrows came about due to a desire for more arrow speed. That continues to sell most carbon arrows today although we are seeing more and more heavy carbons being marketed to hunters. I suspect that the vast majority of guys buying carbons do so because they view them as the "normal' arrow but can't tell you why. Much the same as why plastic vanes are so popular.
Aluminums come in a couple of grades. The cheaper arrows have a softer alloy which is not as durable as the XX78/SuperSlams/X7s. I have found aluminum easier to broadhead tune. They also come in a much broader selection so far as spine and weight. However, the aluminum will always weight more than a carbon of the same spine. Sometimes that is a good thing depending upon your application.
Given the benefits of both, I am surprised more shooters are not using the FMJs or ACCs.
There is no perfect arrow. All have limitations. All of them break and bend. If you do a further topic search on here you will find posts were some will sing the praises of a certain arrow while others will tell you of its many faults.

#25 ·
I have thought about going back to aluminum, but decided to go hybrid. I think the ACC blends the best of both worlds with the aluminum core, and consistency, but adds durability to the mix. Not to mention I can still build a heavy arrow. I also prefer a smaller diameter arrow.

Sent from my iPhone

#26 ·
ALuminum arrows change spine thru time. That is why RIck Mckinney got into Carbon Arrow he was tired of throwing away aluminum arrows theat were inferior.

I can tell Carbon ARrows can match weght of aluminum Arrows , can match spine consistancy with alluminumArrows, can match consitancy with aluminum match penatration of aluminum Arrows. I can remove inserts and tips that are even glued in with out hot glue on a carbon arrow.

Aluminium cannot match durablity not even close of a carbon arrow. Aluminums wear out faster as spine changes and breaks down kichker than carbon arrows, aluminum arrows bend pretty easy IMO carbons do not.

There are ALOT of TOP Tournament archers using carbons these days.

So for me after years of shooint both I choose carbon. I see no benifit to aluminum I acutally see detrament.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.