Archery Talk Forum banner

High School JOAD Archery Club

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  archer982 
#1 ·
Is it possible to start one? I know of the NASP, but I want to start one that runs similar to that of a rec center JOAD club. Who would I contact to start one up.

I'm thinking of doing it at my old high school since many of the instructors I had are still there. I talked to one of them a few days ago, and he said it's going to be very challenging since bows and arrows are considered "weaponz".

I would like to give it a shot and give something back to the neighborhood for once.

#2 ·
I would say that both JOAD and ASAP are worth considering.

Just about anyone with the will can start a JOAD club.
A Google search for “JOAD” leads you to the “USA Archery Junior Olympic Archery Development” website http://www.usaarcheryjoad.org/
On the left hand side of the home page, you will find “Starting a New JOAD Club” http://www.usaarcheryjoad.org/p382.html
The JOAD Handbook covers the program, the latest version of the JOAD Handbook is dated 2007, it is located on the “Publication and Info” page http://www.usaarcheryjoad.org/p5.html
It is worth reviewing all the links.
If the concepts look good, go to the “JOAD Club Registration” http://www.usaarcheryjoad.org/p178.html

JOAD is a USAA Program www.usarchery.org look there to see the overall USAA offerings.
After high school is college for many so it’s worth reviewing the USAA College Archery Program website www.uscollegiatearchery.org

ASAP or After School Archery Program might be a good choice too.
The reason is that JOAD is best when it is a year around program. ASAP can be limited commitment. An 8 week or 12 week or so ASAP club is ideal. www.afterschoolarchery.org

Okay, now that the formalities are out of the way. The best way to start a JOAD club is to help at a JOAD club first. Kind of like working as a dishwasher and waiter at a few different restaurants before opening your own place.
Some folks that would be great JOAD club mentors would be Tara Robey and Lorinda Cohen of Archery House, San Diego, Ca http://www.usarcheryhouse.com/ArcheryHouseSite/Home.html

I see that you are an Olympic bow archer. I hope you consider the AAE Arizona Cup www.arizonacup.com
:)

#9 ·
Tara is a good friend of mines and what she is currently doing is what I dream of implementing at the high school level.

I don't know if you remember me, but I met you back at the AZ Cup in 2004. Haven't been to the tourney since than. I hope to come out someday again but most likely not this year.

#3 ·
I understand what you are saying about weapons, but a lot of Junior Highs in my District practice Archery in PE. I wasn't in one of the lucky schools to get this. I was stuck playing football =\.

I think if there was safety training courses and a bunch of other good safety stuff you just might get it to go. I would love a High School NASP and maybe yours would catch on.

#4 ·
Safety:
This is a great document prepared by the ATA
http://www.archerytrade.org/downloads/ArcherySafetyInsight.pdf
For archery in the schools, the keys are that Archery has a track record of being the safest sport while traditional school activities like cheerleading and the ball sports are some the most dangerous activities out there.

Weapons:
Archery programs in the schools and other locations consider archery equipment as sporting equipment. More and more, the public expects consideration of intent. We have all heard of the child that brought a butter knife to school to spread peanut butter on a sandwich, only to be suspended for bringing a weapon to school. Thankfully, more and more common sense is beginning applied.

More, USAA CAP ideas can be applied for JOAD too.
http://www.uscollegiatearchery.org/

Structure:
The USAA including JOAD is a “from the grassroots up” organization when it comes to member services. The USAA leadership does not dictate or limit how member programs must operate. Instead the membership is free to volunteer and run programs and clubs that suit their circumstances. As a result, when someone says “what is JOAD?” or “how do I start a JOAD clubs” the answer varies with each individuals circumstance.

As an association we have two options.
We can dictate how a program is to run and give a membership a take it or leave it option. The upside it that first timers will have a cookbook of what to do.
Or
We can allow each club to operate around subjective guidelines and suggestions so that each club and pursue the emphasis it so desires.

Note: We do have the best of both worlds now. Those that want to follow a cookbook can start an ASAP (After Schools Archery Club). The NFAA, ASA and USAA/NAA have all endorsed the program. ASAP has a wealth of structured information for a club to follow. Some of an ASAP club participants will undoubtedly want to migrate to a year around program and start a JOAD club that is focused on the wants and needs of the particular group or community. JOAD, its what each and every one of us makes of it.

#7 ·
And NASP specifically uses compound bows...and only compound bows. It is a cool program but if your idea is to promote recurve NASP isn't for you.

#6 ·
To use todays business buzz words, you need to get a champion on your side who has influence with the local school board, building principals, and teachers. Find someone like that associated with your school now, and have them help you network to reach the proper people. This champion can also smooth introductions, give you feedback that the school personnel may not give you, and generally help you to give a professional presentation.

Put together a solid business plan covering the following points: Intent and purpose of the program, suggestions of where the events would be held, costs, including costs to the school system, insurance, safety, instructor certifications, equipment, and other items that the school board will want to know. Put all of this information together in a binder, with tabs separating separate sections, and create a one page executive summary of the intended program.

The cost to the schools could be your biggest hurdle. I don't know about your schools, but ours are financially strapped. If you can structure your program so it costs the schools absolutely nothing, or maybe even throws a few bucks into their coffers, you will have a better chance of getting the program approved.

Starting a JOAD or ASAP program is easy, and fairly cheap. You basically just fill out the paperwork and send in your money. The hard part if finding a location, and purchasing the equipment to get started (you can be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 as an initial investment).

You might want to check into the Archery in the Schools program for some direction and hints. They have a lot of source material available to make a presentation.

#8 ·
I see about the compound thing with the NASP. Isn't there a program which promotes Olympic/recurve archery in high schools?

Problem is the timing and available space besides the weapons issue. I would have to battle with all the varsity sports teams in terms of field usage and the times of practice.

#12 ·
Okay, let me add some more things into this asides starting an archery club.

If the kids stay in the archery club longer or in this case the whole entire four years of high school, I want to work them up to which they can possibly shoot FITA distances.

If they somehow end up going to a college or university that has an archery club, than it would work out for them educationally and socially.

#15 ·
Yes, It's possible

Yes it can be done. I have a JOAD program at the Middleschool/Highschool I teach at. A couple of issues that typically need to be addressed.

First, started classifying archery gear as PE equipment. The way I sold it to the Board of Directors and administrator where I work is that I was handing the kids responsability, not archery gear.

Second, answer the insurance question. Most public schools have insurance that will cover archery but most don't know that. Being a registered JOAD also allows for extra insurance. The NASP also has great information that can be used for insurance purposes.

Last, select a season. Indoor or outdoor. The reason most schools need a timeframe is that they are already over crowded with gym/facility use. Answering this question will help ease there minds.

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
Yes it can be done. I have a JOAD program at the Middleschool/Highschool I teach at. A couple of issues that typically need to be addressed.

First, started classifying archery gear as PE equipment. The way I sold it to the Board of Directors and administrator where I work is that I was handing the kids responsability, not archery gear.

Second, answer the insurance question. Most public schools have insurance that will cover archery but most don't know that. Being a registered JOAD also allows for extra insurance. The NASP also has great information that can be used for insurance purposes.

Last, select a season. Indoor or outdoor. The reason most schools need a timeframe is that they are already over crowded with gym/facility use. Answering this question will help ease there minds.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I sent you a PM.

The California Department of Game and Fish Department and California NASP may have already blazed the trail of school acceptance for you.
Are any of this schools in the same District as the high school you are targeting?
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/nasp/schools.html

After Schools Archery Programs may be looking for help too.
Are any of these locations near you?
http://www.nrpa.org/content/default.aspx?documentId=8429

Some of the schools that are within the county are far from me and are not within the district as listed.

#16 ·
#20 ·
Thanks Robert,

I talked to one of my old teachers today at the high school and what I told him said it sounds interesting. There was a new teacher that's there now who is a compound shooter, so I got some support now.

All I have to do now is get paperworks and backing from every program concerning archery in the schools. Than finally get certified and everything will be good from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.