Archery Talk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen Pop and the Golden Rule

31K views 159 replies 58 participants last post by  rodney482 
#1 ·
Archerytalk.com is growing at an exponential rate and is without contention The Largest Archery forum and in the Top 120 of ALL forums (of all flavors) on the internet. With the growth, we sometimes lose sight of the goals and mission of the site and that is Archers Helping Archers. :archer: :archer:

AT used to be a small community where everybody knew everybody quite well, but that is no longer the case. In the past few months, there has been an increase in personal attacks, offensive posts and flat-out threats posted on the open forum and via PM's. We as members need to keep the Golden Rule in mind and take the high road when discussing a sensitive topic....we should all refrain from making it and taking it personal.:nod::cheers:

Therefore, we're going to ask the membership to "Think Before Posting" and refrain from attacking or trying to kick up some dust with another member. We will be tightening up the screws around here in the next couple of weeks, so please "Think Before Posting" and enjoy the site and let others as well. Folks can disagree, but personal attacks, offensive posts and threats will be met with a Baseball Policy.

Strike 1: 1 week suspension of ArcheryTalk account privileges
Strike 2: 3 week suspension of ArcheryTalk account privileges
Strike 3: There will be no Strike 3's right?...:cheers:

See less See more
#86 ·
Correcting an individual's spelling or grammar is not open for debate, nor is it the subject matter of this thread. If you do not understand a post due to spelling or grammar then please ask for clarification. Too many use spelling/grammar to demean and attack a person...we all can't be laureates.

#96 ·
You guys know how me and OBT come to be friends

I had to get some help once on a archery forum before AT's time/around, because I couldn't spell good enough to take these boys on, So I PM'd OBT & DonDeere for help

and the rest is History

we all came together because of my lack of spelling>>>------------> Hood Fact!

#104 ·
I was kidding about the "banning for punctuation & spelling" thing. However, I can see I'm not the only one it bothers. As for being "rude & cruel", as far as I know, libraries are free and so are books, and so is a decent education (ok, so it's not "free" but you have to pay the taxes anyway). Lack of at least a high school education deserves a little ribbing. Most of the time it's not a matter of ability, it's just people posting lazily.

And if people aren't allowed to ridicule for grammar, then they shouldn't be allowed to ridicule for giving bad archery advice. If we can't point out that punctuation or spelling is wrong (because that might hurt feelings), then we can't tell someone their advice on bow tuning is wrong (because that might hurt feelings too). And we wouldn't want anyone to get hurt feelings...

#105 ·
This is where you are wrong. We can, because respectfully telling someone that you think they are incorrect isn't against the rules. Pointing out bad grammar and punctuation is.

#110 ·
Well at least we've been warned. They aren't going to just ban people without a warning.
Just go post what you want and then we'll see what happens.

#114 ·
Optimal Max,

I too would prefer to see better grammar & punctuation. It reduces the chance of misunderstandings.

However, there are some great archers who are not comfortable with the written word. I noticed a couple of them quit posting after someone criticized grammar & punctuation.

Very few professional archers post here. (at least under their own names) Part of it may be from a desire to avoid the grammar police. There are plenty of other reasons, but we will learn more if reduce from their reasons not to post.

With all due respect,
Allen

#117 ·
Optimal Max...

My sincere apologies for my post earlier... I was out of line to an extent.

But i disagree with your view. Yes this is America... Where everyone has an ''oppurtunity''... But understand that not everyone has the same Oppurtunities some do and are not raised in the same environment. Regardless of what some claim many do not realize their missed oppurtunities until its too late. I wish everyone had a College degree and a solid education. But thats not realistic.

#120 ·
This whole thread has "hurt my feelings". :plain:

#121 ·
.... and never, ever tell a "sensitive" type that a thread about a sick poodle isn't ARCHERY related !!! That will earn you a time-out!

#122 ·
Yeah school yard bullying doesn't sit well with Admin...

It seems that there are some folks that just arnt happy unless they are bashing someone.

If there is a thread in the wrong location the reporting triangle should be clicked and a mod will move it, if it needs moved.

Making inappropriate comments will only land you in timeout.

#123 ·
Poor grammar and punctuation makes posts much harder to moderate...simply because it is often difficult to determine what the writer is trying to say. It is best to make posts as clear and concise as possible.

Just saying...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.