Archery Talk Forum banner

New Breed Archery- Genetix review

18K views 77 replies 45 participants last post by  Jax Bowhunter 
#1 ·
New Breed Archery- "Southpaw" Genetix
After owning several bows that Richard has either made, designed, or assisted in the research of; I knew the NBA line would be something I might be interested in. Being a "Southpaw" I was all too excited when NBA mentioned LH bows would be cut at the same time as the 2010 RH models...how cool is that. :tongue:
A new company that isn’t afraid of making left hand models. :zip:
So, I figured "what the heck"; I need to try em out.
So after many, many questions which were answered by Kyle very quickly and professionally, "I went for it"......

I came home early from work just for wait for “Brown” to show up……seemed like and eternity but, finally I met him on the sidewalk as I seen him come up the street. :RockOn::banana:

Outta the box it came and upon first grab, I noticed how light it felt….NICE, not heavy at all. Off with the bubble wrap and a quick snip of the warranty card from the cables and I was feeling and fondling it all over…Nice smooth lines, the black anodized finish looks pretty durable and the strings were way better than pictures posted online….

I really like the color combo up close the purple seemed to be darker and in fact have changed my mind on going with other colors.
The limb decals in my opinion, are some of the sharpest looking I have ever seen on a bow...I thought the first versions were nice but, man these look great on the Next Vista camo limbs.​
There are some tiny air bubbles forming small white spots in the camo on a few places, nothing too serious and I have actually reviewed 3 other bow companies in the past that had the same issues with the slight imperfections in the hydro-print process... The pattern is actually a lot nice than in the pics as well. Kind of like APG or Hardwoods but a lil more brown and tan colored or "Woodsy” for lack of better term.:embara:​
Now, it was off to my “toy room” for the initial set-up; Hostage arrow rest, short stabilizer just to really hold my wrist sling in place and a Dloop. This combo I have used in all of my bows when first taken outta the box just to get a feel for the rig, compare the draw curve, and see some "out of the box" speeds.
On the first shot of a 350 grain GoldTip fletched arrow, I thought WOW..that seemed too light in the draw to be 70 pounds….looking thru the chrony I hit 310 FPS…Nice and that is at 28.5” draw. :thumbs_up
The draw curve is one of the smoothest I have shot for a speed bow. NO JOKE, I could not believe how nice the curve felt. No bumps, not a real hump. It rates better for me than my “Crackerized” Tribute with smooth mods and shot 5 FPS faster outta the box. OK, OK maybe a fluke in the speed reading I was thinking so, I slung a few more arrows…..310, 310, 309, 310, 310.​
Back up stairs to get my scale out and really see what the bow is drawing at. I loaded up my dumbbells on my neighbors postal scale and made sure all my weights were exact as my two spring scales are usually a lil off and I want to calibrate to the exact poundage and the Genetix came in right at 70 pounds on the dot for draw weight. I grabbed my 70.5 lbs. Cardiac just to double measure and I still could not believe how smooth the draw was compared to even my Cardiac. :eek:
Once I got the G5 peep installed I threw on a BowJax Cable Dampener and went back to the chrony while I still had daylight; 307 FPS (6X) and 308 FPS (twice) thru the chrony.....I am happy. No special tuning, outta the box with a peep and loop, not bad at all.

In comparision to other bows I owned-
My 82nd Airborne at 71 pounds and the exact arrow and rest shot 326 FPS.
My 07 “Crackerized” Tribute shot 302 with smooth and 311 FPS with speed mods.
My 07 Synergy shot 307 FPS outta the box.​
I believe this bow feels just as good as my Tribute, which to me was one of Bowtech’s best model yet smoother in the draw and only a few more inches axle to axle. The bow seems to balance in the hands great. I have not put a longer stabilizer on it and when I added the Posten QD on it near the riser it seems to hold perfectly for me at full draw and release……
I am liking it and just might have found the bow to put the Cardiac outta business this year. :darkbeer:

See less See more
#5 ·
Right now, not really cause I am shooting in a room at close distances and all I am really hearing is the arrows pounding the target.
It does seem very quiet so far though and the Rattler makes it pretty dead in the hands. I didn't even have to adjust it.
I am not sure I like the rubber grips and am thinking of getting wood sideplates for it but, I have not felt any hand shock yet.

I keep running out to my garage and slinging a few at 10 yards every chance I get....it sure feels good.

#7 ·
I just threw it on the scale as pictured and it came out to a 4.95 lbs. mass wt.
Not bad....
Now, I just gotta figure out a Quiver to get for it. :darkbeer:

#11 ·
Yes, I heard they had a strong showing and got a bit of attention.........

#12 ·
Genetix

How does the valley and back wall feel? Does it have a lot of valley in the draw, or does it want to launch if you relaxe just a little bit?

#13 ·
How does the valley and back wall feel? Does it have a lot of valley in the draw, or does it want to launch if you relaxe just a little bit?
The wall to me is ROCK solid...very hard wall.
There is a lil valley, not alot but it didn't launch forward on me at all when I was letting down or playing with it to get a real feel of the draw force curve.
The Bowtech speeds mods for me seemed like a shirter valley and the Smooth mods seemed to open it a lil bit. I would say it is right in between the two types of mods and you do not hold the full draw wt. as long as you do with a Elite Synergy.
But again this is straight outta the box. I have no doubt with a lil tuning I can get 4-8 more FPS outta it easy and probably even open the valley even a lil more.

#14 ·
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a very nice bow especially when your putting it up against some pretty stiff competition with the other bows you mentioned.

#18 ·
Update......

Came home from lunch and replaced the Hostage Pro with a RipCord rest and got it all served in and tuned up a bit more........

28.5"/ 70lbs. (Peep, Dloop)
350 grain Goldtip 5575s w/ Blazers @ 315 FPS
384 grain Sattellite 2980s w/ FOBs @ 302 FPS.
:darkbeer:

#19 ·
Came home from lunch and replaced the Hostage Pro with a RipCord rest and got it all served in and tuned up a bit more........

28.5"/ 70lbs. (Peep, Dloop)
350 grain Goldtip 5575s w/ Blazers @ 315 FPS
384 grain Sattellite 2980s w/ FOBs @ 302 FPS.
:darkbeer:
Glad you like it, Great speeds! now how does the draw feel or measure for 28.5 long short?

#22 ·
I have to "rave up" this ArmorTech sight too.
So nice, just a few clicks of the knobs and you get dialed into the spot perfectly.
The pins are nice and bright and the fit and finish is really sweet.
I am glad I broke down and spent the $$$ for it, it's a nice sight. :darkbeer:

#23 ·
Update number 2......

Got some nice wood sideplate from Mr. Lambeth...really like the feel of wood better and found the Posten looked and felt pretty good on it as well. :tongue:

A lil more "tinkering" and I think I will have her all dialed it. :darkbeer:

#25 ·
It was actually a used one I got off here real cheap.....
I have "Slingbraids" on all my other bows but, this one was just a recent find for a few dollars.

#29 ·
Actually I like the draw a lil better that the GTO or the GT500 and I know others do too that have shot it.
To me, the Genetix seems to have a better valley and it's like you do not carry the load as much across the top of the draw force curve.

Nice review. I will be curious to see how it groups at distance for you. How do you like the grip overall? It looks kind of flat and edgy but that may just be the pics. Lots of riser(metal) for hunting the cold winters. Just curious. I love lefty reviews.
I am hoping this weekend I can get out and shoot some distances with it, right now it is getting expensive at 20 yards. :cry:
The grip is similiar to the PSE best grip, I am still trying to get use to it, not that is bad, it is just the different from my other bows. I dont think the metal riser on the hand will affect me in the winter; The Bowtech, Elite, and Ross bows didnt and they have sideplates too.

#31 ·
Yep..........I guess I aint got to worry bout other people trying to shoot it or walk away with it. :wink:

#32 ·
Finally a day off to get outside and do some shooting.
I gotta play for a lil over 3 hours this morning on the base range; first time outside past 20 yards since I left for Iraq (almost 2 years). :dancing:
Just my luck, 5 MPH NNE winds but, I didnt want it to spoil my free time and I wanted to make sure my centershot was good on all rigs since it had been so long at try to get my 20 and 30 pins set.
After two slight adjustments, I amazingly got the Genetix grouped rather well at 30 yards. :darkbeer:

After about the first hour and moving onto 40 yards, my groups starting falling apart...even missing my old worn out doe a couple of times.
Not really due as much to the wind as my weak "shooting shape" :embara:
Hoepfully I can get more time outside this weekend and let er' rip some more.

#34 ·
Thanks......so far I am really liking it.
I can't seem to get away from work enought to shoot it. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.