Archery Talk Forum banner

Which is more difficult to hunt? Turkey or Deer?

12K views 49 replies 46 participants last post by  JoeRE 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed at one point or another, but I'm curious what you guys think. My buddy and I recently debated which is more difficult to hunt, turkeys or deer. My vote was for deer, for a variety of reasons, but # 1 is because the scent component can stop things before they even begin.

What do you guys think? Turkey or Whitetail?

#33 ·
Turkeys are buy far a lot harder for me .
How about turkeys from a tree stand ,your real lucky if you can draw on one.There eye sight is 2nd to none,even when you think they cant see you you make the silgest move ,only to hear the dreded put,put and there all on high alert.

#36 ·
Turkeys are easier because you can hunt them from a blind without brushing it in and they're far more easily fooled by decoys.
Turkeys do pick up movement better than a deer though and can see in color which is an advantage for them.

#39 ·
Deer for me are harder to hunt. Around here they go nocturnal with the slightest hunting pressure. Turkeys only move around during daylight hours which gives me a huge advantage because that's when I can hunt them and if I can locate where they are heading to roost in the evening, I know where they will be in the morning :)

#41 ·
deer for me.

turkeys in my area are really really dumb. and theres lots of them.

#46 ·
i vote deer because they have great noses. they also don't vocalize like turkeys do giving away their location. turkeys might just seem harder because its such a short season compared to deer.

#47 ·
bet the reason alot of guys dont get them is because there over calling them to.

#49 ·
A mature whitetail is hands down harder to bowhunt in MOST cases. However, take a blind out of the equation for bowhunting turkeys and you have one of the toughest quarry to arrow with a bow. :darkbeer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.