Archery Talk Forum banner

looking for camping knife.

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Kelleborne 
#1 ·
Looking for recomendations on camping knives. Never really had one before cause havent been camping much but would like to take my kids out and show them how to start a fire and other basic stuff. So looking for a good camping knife without breaking the bank. Might get another later as I know different knives for different things. Dont want serrated, big enough to help start a fire but small enough to feel like you could do alittle finer stuff. 75.00 is the limit and would prefur to be lower than that. Have looked at the schrade extreme schf9 or schf3. Only consern is the weight. Looked at ka bar fighting knife with sythetic handle. Not sure if the round handle is good for smaller things and since it says fighter if its the best survival knife. Then there is the ka bar beckers. Thought about this one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-X-T...705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257af8c911 maybe good for the fire but not much else.

Open to thoughts on these or any others.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I carry several blades when I'm camping depending on where I am, how long and what I'm doing.

I carry a folder in my pocket that I use for food prep and general camp chores...cutting cordage, or whatever.

My belt knife is a fixed blade with a blade between 4 and 6 inches (I have a bunch of them). I kind of reserve the use of this knife to better keep it "hair popping" sharp. I do use it for processing game but I touch up the blade immediately afterward so it's always just as sharp as can be when it's on my belt.

Those two blades are always on me if I'm in the woods.

If I'm camping, I carry some combination of the following....a folding saw, a hatchet or hawk (I prefer the hawk) and/or a bow saw. If I'm back packing it, I usually won't carry the bow saw. A nice alternative is to carry the blade and build a buck saw when and if you need it. Processing firewood can be hard/heavy work so you don't really want to be using your belt/skinning knife.

I often carry a multi-tool and a backup belt/skinning knife in my pack (when I have the pack).

It's hard to say much more without going into detail about what you're going to do with these blades and how you're going to do it. I know I mentioned a bunch of different tools but you don't need to spend a lot of money. A good kitchen/butchers knife of the right size can make a fine belt knife for "bushcraft" and you can pick them up for nickels and dimes at dollar stores and yard sales. Keep them good and sharp, learn to use them properly and they'll do a LOT of work.

There are plenty of inexpensive knives that get good reviews (like the Mora knives). A cheap Repalla (sp?) filet knife is a pretty versatile blade though you probably don't want to try to baton it through a log. A place like Walmart probably has plenty of inexpensive knives that'll get you by.

Naturally I have my own tastes in blade geometry (grind), edge angle and material but I promise there are plenty of people who prefer something different.

#4 ·
Wel I was thinking at the moment a all around knife. Kinda med size. Big enough to chop med size wood and maybe baton even though Im only baton if needed. I will bring something bigger if Im planning on alot of chopping. But also small enough to feild dress and skin if necessary. Basicly a do it all survival knife. Later I will get something bigger for planned bigger jobs and I already have smaller knives I use for dressing and skinning and such. My kids are 4 and 8 and I just want to take them out and show them how to start a fire with smaller wood,shavings and maybe a fire starter. Not wanting to build a bonfire or cut enough wood for a whole night.
As far as battoning goes Im watching online vids and I swear guys are just seeing if they can break their knife so they can complain. I think its great for the knife to be able to do that but Im bringing something more suited for the job if thats my plan from the start. I dont see myself splitting anything more than 2"-3" tops with a knife. Watched some guys split 5" stuff with their 7" blades and I think thats over kill on trying to abuse your knife.

Basically if you could only have one knife in the woods what would it be.

#6 ·
The knife I described above would pretty much be it. Light, sharp, impervious to water and with a firestarter...

#5 ·
#8 ·
Yikes, that Schrade is a beast. I carry a folder everyday and have for 15 years. I carry Benchmades and Gerbers and like both a lot. I recently bought a Gerber fixed I really like and my wife bought me a Bear Grylis Gerber fixed that's pretty nice and has a hard sheath, sharpener, and fire starter.

#11 ·
You should look at the Condor Woodlore
It's a good all around knife. 1075 carbon steel
The Becker is an awesome beast, but I find the Cro Van steel is kinda hard to sharpen in the field.
You can pick up the Woodlore for about $35 from Amazon. And have change enough left for a Mora Robust CS, and a bowsaw

Happy camping!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.