Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews chill rumors or real!??

13K views 96 replies 57 participants last post by  Square_Dancer 
#1 ·
I have heard at 2 diffrent archery shops that mathews is in process of making another bow like the chill except with 5-6" brace height rated at 350 ibo. Any one else heard of this

#6 ·
Its supposed to be a monster series and monsters are supposed to be fast. Iv owned monster 6 and mr5! But 333 ibo isnt fast. Thats why im looking a 345-350 ibo because of my short 28" draw

#9 ·
I will say, among the local Mathews owners judging the new Mathews Chill, there was discussion about the loss in performance of 11 fps, comparing the 7" brace height Chill at 333 IBO and the 7" brace height MR7 at 344 IBO.

Many of our local Mathews owners agree, had Mathews been able to maintain performance speeds near the MR7 levels, they would jump on the Chill bandwagon in a heartbeat.

One of the quickest ways for Mathews to boost the Chill's performance without re-engineering the Chill cam is to lower the brace height from 7" to 6" or so.

It might be wishful thinking among Mathews owners, but boosting the performance of the Chill should be a goal for the 2014 model.

#10 ·
It's not a Monster never will be. I laugh at people that want to compare the two. The Chill is it's own bow. Two cam, that has a smoother pull than the Monster---that is what people asked for, with that comes less speed. To assume it is a lesser bow based on speed is laughable-----it's not a Monster period.

#16 ·
Isnt the Chill a shorter ATA than the other monsters? Last year I kept seeing a lot of people wanting a shorter ATA monster and they got one.

So why would it be dumb to make a shorter ATA monster with a shorter brace height? Hmmm?

#19 ·
I hate to get involved in these kind of things cuz there's always argument, but there are always going to be people that don't understand the concept of a amazing bow except by looking at the ibo, if they look at the ibo spec and its not the highest on the market they don't want it. People just don't understand.......

But anyway back to the topic, I have herd nothing about this new model, but I would really not be surprised if that's what they are planning for 2014, I will ha to ask my pro shop tomorrow if they have herd of anything just to make sure.

#23 ·
I hate to get involved in these kind of things cuz there's always argument, but there are always going to be people that don't understand the concept of a amazing bow except by looking at the ibo, if they look at the ibo spec and its not the highest on the market they don't want it. People just don't understand.......
blue...first, (in this thread) people should not take the comments about the Chill as trashing the bow or the brand.

If everyone kept their mouth shut and never said a word about what they like and dislike about a bow, how will a company know what archers think about their products?

This is "constructive criticism"...not destructive. I haven't said or seen anyone say that the Chill is not a good shooting bow.

I've been involved in archery for 43 yrs and have been a Mathews owner since 2001. When I look at a new product from Mathews, I judge it and compare it to Mathews bows from the past as well as the present. The Chill looks to be a great bow for hunters who are not concerned so much about the performance standards set by Mathews, when they introduced the Monster series line.

I will be the first to say that IBO speed is but one aspect or quality the archery consumer should be concerned about, when trying to decide their next bow purchase. But lets not act like Mathews has not promoted the speeds and IBO performance of their bows...Mathews does emphasis the performance of their bows, targeting mainly the hunter. The video of Melissa Bachman promoting the speed of the Monster series bows, showing the advantages of having a flat shooting bow, is but one example.

Getting back to the Chill, I believe Mathews is moving in the right direction with most the changes they have made. That does not mean, every Mathews consumer will be 100% happy with each and every change Mathews makes, though.

The Chill's loss of performance puts in the range of Mathews top performing single cam bows, present and past. Not exactly what one would expect from a new model Monster series bow. Speaking for myself, when I look to purchase a new bow, I'm looking for a bow that superior to the bow I now shoot...in other words...I want the most bang for my buck...I want speed, accuracy in a bow that is quiet with a smooth draw, solid back wall and a decent valley. I will purchase the bow that comes closest to matching my expectations.

Again, consider this "constructive criticism" from a Mathews shooter who wants to buy a new Mathews bow and is willing to wait to see how Mathews improves upon the Chill as well as the entire line in 2014.

#22 ·
yes, they have something going on............it's called R&D for the 2014 line..........that's what is going on. Mathews isn't one to just throw a new bow out there mid year. Now they might up there release date to Oct. 1st. instead of there past date. But i doubt it.

#26 ·
They released the jewel in July of 2011, so yes, they have been known to release a bow mid year. Apex 7 is definitely a shooter. No changes really needed

#27 ·
The Spyder series from Hoyt pulled me away from Mathews for 2013.

As a previous owner of a MR6, I didn't see any benefit to the Chill. The Creed was very nice except the wall was too hard due to the limb stop. I prefer the feel of the cable stops on the Hoyt.

Mathews is not really offering any hunting bows with longer ATA anymore. A Creed Magnum would be nice.

I had a Z7 Magnum and it was a sweet bow!

#29 ·
Dale_B1 is right. I just reviewed a bunch of his posts and that guy knows his stuff.
I don't want to make a big deal about his statement, but it may be the most incorrect statement ever put on this site, and that is an amazing feat. I think he should get a medal, or at least a sticker.

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
I haven't heard any rumors at the local shop about a shorter brace height. I wouldn't doubt they are considering it though.
They do offer a MR5, 6, 7, and 8 afterall.

I will say that I sold my Monster 6, and 7's, and bought a Chill. 10-15 fps loss is no big deal, the bow is smooth, and stable for a short ATA. It has nowhere near the draw curve, and is pleasant to shoot, and very quiet.

It was the "Monster" I always hoped for, and my dreams came true! ;) Its definately a shooter.

#31 ·
I haven't heard any rumors at the local shop about a shorter brace height. I wouldn't doubt they are considering it though.
They do offer a MR5, 6, 7, and 8 afterall.

I will say that I sold my Monster 6, and 7's, and bought a Chill. 10-15 fps loss is no big deal, the bow is smooth, and stable for a short ATA. It has nowhere near the draw curve, and is pleasant to shoot, and very quiet.

It was the "Monster" I always hoped for, and my dreams came true! ;) Its definately a shooter.
But it's NOT a monster :darkbeer:

#33 ·
I loved the chill just wish it wasnt a kids bow. 30" ata is just to short for me. I can't stand the stringe angle on it. If it wasnt for the 30ata i would of bought one this year. I ended up getting a used mr8 instead. It should make a fine hunting bow.

This post has been deleted
#43 ·
I have a great shooting bow right now. Its a 2012 carbon element. Im not looking a bow thats the same ibo im looking a speed bow. Some people say speed doesnt matter. I filmed a shot from ground blind on a feeding doe at 18 yards. Im shooting 290 fps and before my arrow went 18 yards she dropped her front till her chest touched the ground and my arrow hit her high. When i found her i thought no way i coulda shot that high. Well when i go back and watch replay i saw why. So is this not common sense, if my bow was shooting 320 fps the arrow woulda went 30ft farther faster causing it to hit her before she could drop. Im sure anyone is smart enough to understand that. So all the talk about speed dont matter makes people sound like an idiot. Its preference but its facts!!

#54 ·
you shoot 290 fps at a deer standing 18 yards away and it takes your arrow .186 seconds to get there... you shoot 320 fps at the same deer and it takes the arrow .169 seconds... (not accounting for velocity loss from drag) I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your bow is too loud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.