Archery Talk Forum banner

What Is Your #1 Deer Hunting Tip?

10K views 99 replies 95 participants last post by  mba2010 
#1 ·
If you had to share just one deer hunting tip with a friend, what would it be?

I want to hear everyone's #1 deer hunting tip and then Im going to publish an article on my blog, Wired To Hunt, featuring the Top 10 Deer Hunting Tips From Archery Talk.

Share your tips here and then when I pick the top 10 and make the post, I'll let you guys know!

#32 ·
My best tip. USE A TURKEY CALL WHEN DEER HUNTING

If i can't get in quietly i will imitate turkeys walking and feeding threw the woods when i go to my stand. I have walked with-in sight of many deer that never even looked up to see for sure if it was really a turkey. Turkey sound just like a man walking in the woods. Make it simple and natural. I have also tried it when deer near my stand seemed edgy. Couple of soft yelps seemed to calm them right down and they went back to feeding. I guess they figure if a turkey is there it must be safe.

#42 ·
Best tip

When you are on stand, do just that. Stand the entire time and keep your bow in your hand, yes, the entire time. Sit only a few seconds if your back needs rest but never hang your bow. I kill a bunch of deer each year with my bow and that is how its done.

#43 ·
First off, above all else make sure the deer you want is where your hunting. You could be invisible and in an air tight bubble, but you ain't getting jack if there's no deer there. It sounds obvious but I see a lot of guys hunting where there is no shooter bucks. The number one reason for getting busted is scent. Not only the scent from your immediate body, but the scent trail you leave behind. If you want a specific buck, you have to form a type of relationship with him. Scouting in person is the only way to do this. Not only learn his travel patterns but try to find out his personality. Does he travel alone or does he keep a stoolie with him as a decoy. From my own experience I have noticed that even during the rut, a lot of big bucks have a smaller buck lead the way, once he knows the coast is clear, he'll come out. So know your buck and his habbits ie escape routes and partners he may be traveling with. Know where he eats and where he goes to bed, and make sure he doesn't catch wind of you or your scent trail. Oh ya, keeping a spare release in your pack is a good idea because I went out a couple days ago and after about 20 minutes into my quad ride I remembered I left my release sitting on the seat of my quad. Lucky for me when I looked down it was under my foot on my foot peg. My back up release is now in my pack. Good luck.

#45 ·
We all no its best to prepare stand sites well before the season but we also know it always doesn't work out that way. If I do have to cut branches I like to rub dirt over the fresh cut. This way it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and will help it blend in naturally. Also make sure any locks used to lock up your stands are well camoed. I had a nice buck bust me once cause he caught the glare off my lock from the setting sun. So basically pay attention to details and you will put your tags on more bucks.

#55 ·
Big bucks bed with the red fox

hang stand 100 yrds. Down wind of doe bedding areas.

Whatever you do ,don't let him know your after him.

When scouting ,make noise and talk loud ...let them know your in the woods ,so they can determine what action to take long before you see them.
They can handle this pressure really well,it's that sneeky sudden surprises they hate.

Inter/exit undetected ...never hunt the same stand three days in a row.

Hang/move stands ,just before a rain /snow.

Better sitting on the ground than to climb the wrong tree and stick out like a sore thumb a 1/4 mi away.

Get in stand /or buddy in stand ,then look at the horizon....can you still see "something up there?...if so move to a different tree.
Blend into your cover and be part of it ....not an add on.

Young bucks are easy to call,trick,and the most curious.
Old bucks are smart 50 weeks out of the year.
Alpha does are the smartest 52 weeks a year.

Shoot the deer in your mind at every possible place in your stand ,before you ever see a deer.

Tell somebody where your going to hunt every time you leave for the woods.
Even to what part of the woods you'll be in.

You can pee off your stand and it will not bother deer.

Don't spend a lot of time hunting over scrapes(this will require more time to explain)

hunt 10-2 and during rain/snow.

Less calling better than too much calling.
Tickle the bones ,rather than beat them.

If you get sleepy climb down and take nap on the ground.

If you see rut chasing going on ,on the other side of the woods ...go after them ...slowly...better chance of getting shots.

Pass on the small bucks

learn to blood trail and what deer do after the shot and be persistant.

Never shoot at the entie deer ,pick a small spot and make d** sure it's a deer.

The mornings you want to sleep in ,is the morning the biggest buck in the county walks by your stand.

Have at least 4 different stands for the wind.

Practice,practice,practice. Learn to judge yrds. Before you hunt/shoot at deer.

Clear your path to your stand ,not only what you walk on ,but limbs at eye level.

Never ,if possible, hunt alone it's really more fun with two/three guys.

Friends come and go ...hunting buddies are forever!

47 YRS, THIS YR HUNTING WHITETAILS AND I'VE LEARNED ALOT.

And that's all i got to say about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#63 ·
Big bucks bed with the red fox

hang stand 100 yrds. Down wind of doe bedding areas.

Whatever you do ,don't let him know your after him.

When scouting ,make noise and talk loud ...let them know your in the woods ,so they can determine what action to take long before you see them.
They can handle this pressure really well,it's that sneeky sudden surprises they hate.

Inter/exit undetected ...never hunt the same stand three days in a row.

Hang/move stands ,just before a rain /snow.

Better sitting on the ground than to climb the wrong tree and stick out like a sore thumb a 1/4 mi away.

Get in stand /or buddy in stand ,then look at the horizon....can you still see "something up there?...if so move to a different tree.
Blend into your cover and be part of it ....not an add on.

Young bucks are easy to call,trick,and the most curious.
Old bucks are smart 50 weeks out of the year.
Alpha does are the smartest 52 weeks a year.

Shoot the deer in your mind at every possible place in your stand ,before you ever see a deer.

Tell somebody where your going to hunt every time you leave for the woods.
Even to what part of the woods you'll be in.

You can pee off your stand and it will not bother deer.

Don't spend a lot of time hunting over scrapes(this will require more time to explain)

hunt 10-2 and during rain/snow.

Less calling better than too much calling.
Tickle the bones ,rather than beat them.

If you get sleepy climb down and take nap on the ground.

If you see rut chasing going on ,on the other side of the woods ...go after them ...slowly...better chance of getting shots.

Pass on the small bucks

learn to blood trail and what deer do after the shot and be persistant.

Never shoot at the entie deer ,pick a small spot and make d** sure it's a deer.

The mornings you want to sleep in ,is the morning the biggest buck in the county walks by your stand.

Have at least 4 different stands for the wind.

Practice,practice,practice. Learn to judge yrds. Before you hunt/shoot at deer.

Clear your path to your stand ,not only what you walk on ,but limbs at eye level.

Never ,if possible, hunt alone it's really more fun with two/three guys.

Friends come and go ...hunting buddies are forever!

47 YRS, THIS YR HUNTING WHITETAILS AND I'VE LEARNED ALOT.

And that's all i got to say about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A lot of great info here! The BOLD Red is a fact, but the only thing worse is when your buddy can see your stand from his, comes back to the camper to wake you up and spends two hours rubbing it in your face that the buck not only walked under your stand, but spent half an hour there tending a doe. :pukey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.