Archery Talk Forum banner

Team 7 - The Tominators

8K views 197 replies 11 participants last post by  NEhunter22 
#1 ·
Congratulations! Here is your team for the 9th Annual Archerytalk Turkey Contest! Please begin by signing in and having 1 member send a PM to each of the remaining members advising them of what team they are on with a link to this thread. Use this thread for discussion purposes including posting trail camera pictures, discussing tactics, etc. Discuss among yourselves a team name and have your team come to a majority. Once a team name is chosen, have one of your teammates post it in the Team Name Registration thread. Please keep your team in the loop as the season goes on. Hunt smart and have a safe and successful season! Good luck to each and every one of you!

AJBabcock
Bones816
huey_st
krojemann
Monster11
NEhunter22
phk691
Rockmonky
spekwa91
Triggins

#167 ·
Gonna get back out tomorrow afternoon I hope. Try for a bigger bird. If I get done working early enough and it's not raining too hard. It's been raining for 3 days and not supposed to stop for 3 more but I've been seeing quite a few birds while I've been on my routes. Is anybody else on the team doing any hunting? Only heard from 3 or 4 other guys on the team I think.

#179 ·
Rough weekend for us!!
Went out to our spot friday night and set up way early, but only 2 birds on the roost. It usually holds 15-20. they both gobbled on the roost pretty good, but flew off the roost the wrong way then didn't make a peep.
We went back to the jeep to put on some bug spray before we did some run and gun. We ran in to a New partner of land owner that owns that small piece of land he was not happy!! He said he didn't allow hunting. So thats kinda a mess. Dono how its gunna turn out.

So we head to Nebraska to meet up with my buddy thats out there guiding. He said he cant get a bird to work either.
we roosted some that night and went in this morning and set up pretty close to a single gobbler since most the others were henned up.
Once the Gobbling started a hen behind us made her presence very know so I tried my best to piss her off and she flew above the thick trees and landed right above our Decoy!!
Cutting and yelping like mad! the Gobbler got all excited and I figured it was a done deal. He all of a sudan shut up so I figured he was on the ground, but only heard him one more time moving away. The hen musta got board and flew off another couple hundred yards.
We hung out for a few more hours cold calling then the wind picked up so we called it.
5 hour drive home sucked!

#180 ·
Too bad. Good try though. I am done now. Taking a co worker next weekend to my place. We'll sit and shoot the breeze and see if one comes through. Will you still be hunting? Seems like only 4 of the 10 guys on this team even tried. At least all that participated... See ya.

#185 ·
Any one out ther?

We got hammered with snow this weekend. It will be interesting to see what the birds do this weekend.

Our deer drawing results came up this weekend. I didn't draw my normal tag! Drew a white tail only tag on the far end of the state!

#187 ·
well I had planned on going out all weekend and camping but the people next door are putting in a new fence so I need to help move all my junk.
So Im geting up at 3 and going to just hunt the mornin.
Its really hard not to take the gun at this point, but I don't really have to kill one. Still really want a nice Merriam with my bow.
On a plus side I'm shooting X's with the bull heads and I shot the best score at 3d this week (a few of the pros weren't there lol)

#188 ·
That's how I feel. I don't NEED to kill a turkey. I WANT to kill turkeys with archery gear. I think next year I might, might, go to a head lopper. I don't know though, it seems so degrading to me some how... That's great shooting, wish I could shoot like that consistently. I get the T.P. so bad though that I just can't.

#189 ·
Well it didn't go well. Heard one gobble at the top of the mtn. Got up there and couldn't even find tracks in the snow.

I'm not that great at 3d, but it was windy and most the people don't do well in it. I shoot every day in the wind.
I do it more for practice and fun. I am going to try some $$ shoots this summer to help with my mental toughness.

#190 ·
The guy I took out on the 10th, bought a leftover tag for the 5th week which started 4 days after I took him. He hunted with a shotgun and killed a nice tom with 1 1/4" spurs on the 14th. Basic ambush, calling and decoys were getting NO reaction at all. He then bought another leftover tag for the same unit and time period and killed ANOTHER tom the next day! This one had 1 3/8" spurs and weighed 24#! Again, ambush just before dark. The birds simply were not reacting to any calling or decoys. I'm sure I could have done the same but it's just not what I'm looking to do.

I'm going to get better at shooting. I used to be pretty good but TP killed me and continues to haunt me. I will eventually beat it though!

I wonder if the other half of our team ever hunted?

#195 ·
Gotcha! I was always gonna say, hey, monkey has an "e"! Thanks for being an "active" member on the team. I've been participating in these AT teams for a couple years now and it's only fun when there are people who actually post. This team was a little shy I guess. I think we had a couple guys who checked in and never posted after that. Oh well. Good luck to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.