Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: homemade tree steps

homemade tree steps

has anyone made any ? I'm thinking about making some similar to the EZY-Climb detachables. I don't remember seeing any homemade ones but would like to see yours if you have. I'll post mine when I have one complete

I just got done making my own steps. I used 5"x4" alumn. Angle cut 1.25" wide. I had my aunt make up straps out of 1" webbing and a spring jaw clamp buckle. I have 20 of these made up, but 13 will get me 20' off the ground.

I place the strap around the tree and put a peice of angle in with the 5" side along the tree so the strap goes around the angle and pull the strap tight. All straps and angle are kept in a fanny pack.

I also had a peice of webbing and buckle sewed into my SOP harness to use as an adjustable linemans belt.

I've timed my setup (excluding hanging the stand) to 20' and it takes me 4 minutes to climb up. That was in a tree that had no branches, otherwise I would have had to dis and reconnect my linemans belt adding to the time.

I don't have pictures yet cause I'm coating the angle with truck bed spray this weekend to cut down on the metal to metal noise. I will have pictures later.

Any questions, ask away.

very nice. I'd like to see the pics when they are completed

Thumbs up tree steps

if you make any extra let me know. I live in York, Pa and would be intersted in buying some if they work good. I need something to keep people from stealing my steps. I also need it to be quick and quiet. Sounds like you may have found something. Send me a PM. Thanks!

Tree Steps

Here's what I came up with this week. 3" SCH 40 PVC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How is this set up working?
    Quote Originally Posted by Igofish2 View Post
    Here's what I came up with this week. 3" SCH 40 PVC.

good idea igofish2 ! how do they work/feel when you climb ? are they stable ?

They feel real soild when standing on them. The 3" PVC cut at 45 has about 5" of step for the foot to rest. I think a ratchet strap makes them more scure but adds weight.

those would scare the crap out of me ....they look good but I would be scared to use them ..
    HOYT HAVOC-TEC,EXTREME RT900,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY 3 BLADE,ACC 3-49
    HOYT AM32,VIPER H1000,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY MX3 ,TROPHY RIDGE CRUSH 400

US Army 1981 - 1989

Can you post a picture of how the strap is mounted to the pipe?

Man ,I hope your ins. policy is paid up those things look like they'll get somebody hurt. I ve seen pvc break way to many times to even think about using it this way is just nuts. you dont even have the whole diameter of the pipe to hold just a 1/3 of it, I sure hope you know what you are doing here. Id hate to hear about you getting hurt trying to save a buck. Try a block of wood maybe a 4x4 post done like that any thing would be better than this IMO.
    Learn from the mistakes of others, as you will not live long enough to make them all on your own.
    "09" Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 29" 70#
    CX Mayhem's w/ 100gr. Montec CS @ 434gr

The straps are run thru slots on both sides of the pipe. I've been up & down them a lot of times and only concern I have right now are the straps. I weigh 160 and the straps i have now are rated for 300#. Planing to get 500+# straps. Wood Never fails?

Has anyone tried cutting 4X4's like this for steps? I would think it would be safer and just as cheap.

I wouldn't think 4x4's would have the same stability the PVC would have simply because the PVC is hollow and would sit against the tree better.
    Long armed Old Glory arrow flinger
    BUCKTHORN Camo Field Staff

where did you get the straps from? are they ratchet straps?

I looks like if you would slip the sharp edge might slice you open.
    HCA Speed Pro
    Trophy Ridge React sight with Smart Pin Technology, Bodoodle rest, Alpine Quiver
    65lb 29'' draw 405 grain arrow 290fps Westside Outfitter Pro Staff and HCA forum Moderator

Several years ago I made some like this outta 4 x 4 Drilled a hole through em and used ratchet strap, they held my fat butt no problem, but seamed like they'd be a little slippery if it rained.
    I now got gorilla ladder steps for 7 bucks a piece, got 4 of em and they get me way over 30'.

Nuts

That has got to be the most unsafe, dumb thing I have ever seen. What some folks will go through to save a buck. Man that is nuts
    Homemade custom bellymount recurve 60@28
    Dalaa recurve 60@28
    GT 7595 225 gr up front
    Thunderheads

that looks like an accident waiting to happen, look how sharp the point is, haven't you ever slid down the tree putting steps up? even with an linemans belt ur gonna slide some, u could catch your femoral and thats it buddy, seriously.

I think they are a pretty good idea, but definately unsafe. If I made some I would just use them for maybe the bottom couple of steps and then use tree steps or stick sections for the more dangerous heights.

aluminum pipe cut on an angle with the slots cut in them would appear to be much safer than PVC. Besides does anyone know how the PVC would take the stress when the temps are below freezeing?

Quote Originally Posted by uabdave View Post
    That has got to be the most unsafe, dumb thing I have ever seen. What some folks will go through to save a buck. Man that is nuts
    Save a buck? It probably cost more in the long run. You can buy steps for less than $2. I wouldn't trust a ratchet strap that cost $1.50. I am all for DIY but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
    Veterinarian and Master Taxidermist. Either way, you get your dog back.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstuffer View Post
    save a buck? It probably cost more in the long run. You can buy steps for less than $2. I wouldn't trust a ratchet strap that cost $1.50. I am all for diy but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
    xx2

I guess that I should have posted 5 pages of DO NOTS; like in every tree stand, ladder stand, climbing sticks, or whatever. I assumed common sense was still alive without the gov. mandating everything. If you like my idea, please DO NOT use the thin wall PVC. The PVC I use is about 1/4" wall thickness.

How far in are the slots cut from the edge of the PVC? In the pic it looks to be less than a half inch. Just remember all that weight is being held on the two spots above the strap. Doesn't seem like there is much material there to hold weight. I know the step will bind against the tree and take some of the load but I don't think I'd trust it in cold weather.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast