Thread: Tips for Tighter Groups!

Tips for Tighter Groups!

Well I'm shooting my bow (Alien-X) with a 12 inch 14 oz b-stinger and getting much better groups. But they're still not as tight as I'd like them to be. So I thought it would be good to start a thread on "Tips for tighter groups". Just sharing things that have worked for you or any advice you can give.

i.e.-new release, new arrows, stabilizer, taking a deep breath, smaller sight pins etc.

I'm currently shooting the Alien-X with 391 grain Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. I also have the Easton axis arrows at 420 grains and want to see if they group better. I use a spot hogg .019 hogg it hunter and a Scott Wildcat release. I'm not too fond of the release but haven't had any opportunity to try anything new to see if that would help.

Well I'm sure everyone could use some advice so let's hear what you got!!
    The CLAD-The ultimate load bearing system for your treestand and sticks

Shoot

Shoot long distance to work on your form. Don't move until you hear the arrow hit the target. Keep your grip open and relaxed. Pull trigger don't punch. Try not to blink. Shift load to your back mussels. If you hold say 15# at full draw load the bow 2-4# over that number so your release hand moves backward as the trigger is released.
    [COLOR="Red" Hoyt
    Carter CA
    HHA 5000
    Limbdriver

I find that I shoot my tightest groups when I keep the pin in focus with the target blurred in the background (just like focusing on the front sight on a firearm).

Deep breaths concentrate on nothingness.
    Nothing like the sound of that THWACK when your arrow hits a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Idahodawg View Post
    I find that I shoot my tightest groups when I keep the pin in focus with the target blurred in the background (just like focusing on the front sight on a firearm).
    I think I would do better doing the exact opposite. If I focus too much on the pin, I notice how much it's wobbling around!

On another note, shooting from 50 yards for a while will generally improve your 30 yard groups when you move up.
    2007 Bowtech Equalizer
    QAD Pro LD, VIPER Predator Hunter, B-Stinger, Easton Axis STs, and Slick Tricks

Practice form, this means to have someone take pics and video of you shooting. When aiming, focus on the spot and then bring the pin to that spot. Balance between holding weight and mass weight also help a ton regarding steadiness.

Utilizing an anchor point that is both consistent and comfortable. Archery is a game of repitition; proper and repeatable form will lead to consistent and better groups. Make sure you are not over "bowed". If you cannot extend your bow arm out and slowly draw back, then you are probably pulling too much weight. Pick a spot on the target and burn a hole in it, while letting the pin float. The pin will come to that spot if you use proper shot execution; i.e. don't punch the trigger. If shooting an index finger release, hook the trigger in the middle finger joint and pull into the back wall without moving your finger. You are using back tension to trigger the release, which should result in a surprise release. Also, remember to have fun and don't overwelm yourself. If you tackle too much at once, you will get stressed which will lead to poor shots/groups. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Barlow; September 1st, 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

In addition to above, find the right grip angle where all the pressure is on your thumb muscle WITHOUT having to twist your wrist too far downward. Some of these grips today are TOO low.

Then tune the bow and add just 1 more "consistency" to your anchor point, whether it's face contact, centering in the peep, actually using the level on your sight, etc.

The biggest obstacle to many people for shooting tighter groups - shooting a "PROPER" draw length! Most shoot too long a draw length... even a small change can affect your ability to hold steady and shrink group size at all distances dramatically

ttt

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    The biggest obstacle to many people for shooting tighter groups - shooting a "PROPER" draw length! Most shoot too long a draw length... even a small change can affect your ability to hold steady and shrink group size at all distances dramatically
    Yep! I second what he said!
    Walt
    ------------------------------------

"Think Small"

Consistancy with your anchor point and pick a spot and focus on it. Like said before, your pin will go to the spot. But also focus on the smallest spot that you can, smaller is better and will pull your groups in tighter.

Good Luck,
    J.Shoot
    J.Shoot
    Mathews Conquest Triumph, SB & Sportsman, Custom Bow Equipment, Shrewd, LP Archery Products, Carter Releases, and Carbon Express

I suggest you get larry wise's book Core Archery. very good book on form & BT. Practice one change at a time, then move to your next change. Shooting what ever release you have with BT will help your groups.

Good thread !
    Hoyt RKT Matrix
    It's just a bow.. Shoot it
    Gut Piles Make Me Happy™

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post
    I think I would do better doing the exact opposite. If I focus too much on the pin, I notice how much it's wobbling around!

On another note, shooting from 50 yards for a while will generally improve your 30 yard groups when you move up.

i agree. thats how your suppose to do it.
    At age 5 I realized Bambi's dad would take a lifetime of planning to kill. Today, my quest continues.

Quote Originally Posted by stixshooter View Post
    Good thread !
    That it is.

Tight groups

I find I shoot smaller groups when I stand closer to the target.
    But seriously, as they say, " aim small, miss small".

great advice so far everyone. I've tried some of the things tonight and am doing much better. Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming!

Smaller peep and aim small