Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alzheimer's lunar rut predictions for this year???

Alzheimer's lunar rut predictions for this year???

I know some guys don't put a lot of faith in this but I was wondering when his predictions fell for this year. I can't find my copy of it in Deer and Deer Hunting.
    Live in VA so I guess I need to go with the North's prediction as the southern one I think is too "southern" for my neck of the woods.

When does he say the hottest dates are? That time when the seeking phase and the chase phase meet.

If I could I'd just hunt as much as possible but when I only can take two days off I try to hit the best time I can.

Thanks guys.

I tried to look it up on line but the filter here won't allow me on them.
    All for HIS glory! / Hunt hard or go home!
    09 Elite GT 500 Ninja / 08.5 GT 500 G1 camo
    T.R.U. Ball Shooting Staff / Vapor Trail Shooting Staff
    Steves Archery / Twin Oaks Archery

I haven't gotten my latest issue of D&DH yet,but someone on here and also on D&DH's web site he said Nov. 2 through the 14th.

The article is in the September 2009 ed starting on page 21.

Hottest Dates: North = 1st and 2nd week of Nov

Full moon is on Nov 2.

It's always the hottest the 1st & 2nd week of November. That's some weird science they have going!!!
    Where did ya get that buck?!?!...Right behind the shoulder! NO, I mean WHERE?!?!?

"There's no better sound than a perfectly good arrow smacking into an unsuspecting whitetail"

Thanks guys. I generally watch the forecast and try to hit the cooler days on those first two weeks. Like I said with only two days I have to try to hit it as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by OHTribute View Post
    The article is in the September 2009 ed starting on page 21.

Hottest Dates: North = 1st and 2nd week of Nov

Full moon is on Nov 2.
    What is the theory on the full moon during the rut. Should one hunt on the day of the full moon, or is there a better time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Bob View Post
    Thanks guys. I generally watch the forecast and try to hit the cooler days on those first two weeks. Like I said with only two days I have to try to hit it as best I can.
    I'm looking at the 5/6 as being the two best days for me, but you are further south....I might....might estimate the 9/10. I think if you go any later, you're going to get past the height of the chase phase.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobeagler View Post
    What is the theory on the full moon during the rut. Should one hunt on the day of the full moon, or is there a better time?
    He say that 2 after the rutting moon (nov 2) is when the chasing gets heavier.
    Quote Originally Posted by phade View Post
    I'm looking at the 5/6 as being the two best days for me, but you are further south....I might....might estimate the 9/10. I think if you go any later, you're going to get past the height of the chase phase.
    I was thinking the 9th so we're pretty close.

Thanks all!!!

The rut will fall the week after the second full moon following the fall equinox, the fall equinox is the fist day of fall September 22. The rut will be the first week and second week of November. This is always good hunting that time a year, but it can swing a week early or late depending on when the fall equinox starts.

show

i watched the TV show, where he talked about the "hot dates" i actually wrote them down- and put them on the calendar.
    he said nov 4,5,6,7 chasing phase 8,9,10,11 breeding phase
    by the 14th it will be winding down and by 11/16,17 will be completely over with

hope this helps-
    they were charging $12 for this on their website ! glad i caught the TV SHow !

Quote Originally Posted by danracefan View Post
    i watched the TV show, where he talked about the "hot dates" i actually wrote them down- and put them on the calendar.
    he said nov 4,5,6,7 chasing phase 8,9,10,11 breeding phase
    by the 14th it will be winding down and by 11/16,17 will be completely over with

hope this helps-
    they were charging $12 for this on their website ! glad i caught the TV SHow !
    This doesn't sound right. I think you're 1 week too early with your dates. When I get home I'll post the ones I had written down.

David
    2013 Tenpoint Titan Xtreme, BE Executioners
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX - 51.5 lb, 28" DL
    Spot Hogg Hunter w/Wrap, QAD HDX, Beman ICS Hunter 400s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade
    2011 Diamond Razor Edge - 50 lb, 28.5" DL
    Redhead Carbon Fury 4560s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade

Last year his full moon theory wasn't even close, for the areas I hunt anyway.
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

Quote Originally Posted by bigracklover View Post
    Last year his full moon theory wasn't even close, for the areas I hunt anyway.
    That's funny you say that because for my hunting location, he was spot on.

David
    Spot Hogg Hunter w/Wrap, QAD HDX, Beman ICS Hunter 400s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade

I generally slide his prediction for the Northern Hem. back by a couple days.
    I plan on hunting Sat the 7th adn the 9-11th for sure. Other than that it'll have to be evening hunts for me.

I've done some "loose" comparisons since 2006 for WNY in my area based on my observations. I think the rut has been scientifically proven to be within the same period of time every year based on fetus studies, but his chase phase predictions is what I like to pay attention to.

He was spot on in 2006.
    He was a little late in 2007.
    He was about 7-10 days late in 2008.

Obviously not scientific, but he was "in the ballpark" two of three years.

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    That's funny you say that because for my hunting location, he was spot on.

David
    just proves deer will be deer I guess. A man just needs to be in the woods as much as he can in November for sure.

Haha.. First two weeks of Nov are key times to be in the woods he says?? WOW.. gotta love it... anyone could have told you that.. Where the science in that?? More importantly like mentioned earlier is weather conditions, but thats obvious..

Quote Originally Posted by bigracklover View Post
    just proves deer will be deer I guess. A man just needs to be in the woods as much as he can in November for sure.
    Just curious, how was the weather for you last year? Was it at or below the average for your area? Or was it at or above the average? The temp can be a huge deterrent according to his lunar theory. For NJ last year, it was definitely colder than usual.

David

It's not a big deal to me...but it might be to him....but it's not Alzheimer...it's Alsheimer....

...I wouldn't want my name to be to confused with a degenerative brain disorder!

Quote Originally Posted by phade View Post
    I've done some "loose" comparisons since 2006 for WNY in my area based on my observations. I think the rut has been scientifically proven to be within the same period of time every year based on fetus studies, but his chase phase predictions is what I like to pay attention to.

He was spot on in 2006.
    He was a little late in 2007.
    He was about 7-10 days late in 2008.

Obviously not scientific, but he was "in the ballpark" two of three years.
    He was right in 2006 because he predicted the first two weeks in Nov.
    He was a little late in 2007 because he left out the first half of the first week in November.
    He was 7-10 days late last year because he predicted Nov. 15th to be when the action would pick up.

I can't speak for any place other than where I hunt in NE Kansas. I have been deer hunting for almost 25 years and I see the same thing every year. The first two weeks in November bucks are on their feet during the day fighting and looking for does. If the temp. is warm the activity slows down during the day but the first big drop in temps. brings them out of the woodwork. I have hunted before, during, and after the full moon the first two weeks of November and it didn't make much of a difference on deer movement. That is if you are in the right spot.

I see the most activity during the end of the first week and beginning of the second week every year. The middle of the month is always tough because a lot of the bucks are locked down with does. When Thanksgiving rolls around the action picks back up.

I like Charles and he puts out some good info every year but I don't agree with the moon phase, I believe it's the days getting shorter that trigger the rut.

If you read his research he points out it is a best guess. Local factors will influence the dates somewhat, like too cold, or too hot. Basically the rut is a month long process, but we want the first part of the rut when Bucks are the most visible. The Rut also moves several weeks, and while it is usually the best hunting the first two weeks of November, he gives you the detail about when the seeking and chasing should happen. Most people don't think it is accurate because the Rut lasts so long. You can really notice that he is right when the Rut is early or late in a year. Then it starts to help you more.

The thing that makes the most sense is that the breeding is timed to be done close to the new moon. This way the fawns are born during a new moon in the spring and it is harder for predators to find them without the help of moonlight. This gives the fawns a little edge the first week of life.

I have found his analysis to be correct.

Hope my explanation made sense.

E
    Elite XLR
    B-Stinger Stab, Sword Centurion, Limbdriver Rest
    CarbonTech Cheetah 55/80, G5 Montec, FOBs

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    Just curious, how was the weather for you last year? Was it at or below the average for your area? Or was it at or above the average? The temp can be a huge deterrent according to his lunar theory. For NJ last year, it was definitely colder than usual.

David
    Last year he said the chasing/seeking would be hot around November 13 and on, but we saw mature bucks with swollen necks chasing does the last week of October and by first week of November it was really good activity.

To answer your question, the weather was seasonal for the area.

umm. I can't remember.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

bump

I agree. Hunt Oct. 31st -Nov 15th every year, and it always falls in that time.
    Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.James 5:20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast