Thread: Moon Phase and whitetail deer

Moon Phase and whitetail deer

I recently started a thread on the use of a journal while hunting. One piece of information I am looking forward to keeping track of is the movment of whitetails during the differnet stages of the Moon Phases.

I have heard about the difference it can make while elk hunting, and am curious what diffence it will make in the feeding patterns and bedding patters of deer.

Would anyone like to elaborate on what they tend to know about how the Moon phase might affect deer.

Thanks for the info. Knowledge is Power!

Coach

lowdrag Guest
    Just read an article in one of the recent Peterson's about this, but the data was collected on high fence deer. The observers said the moon had no relvancy in the whitetail activity. But, since we bowhunters have nothing else to do for several hours while on stand, I say lets collect the data and compare. JMO

full moon and new moon are usually the best times for me

This past weekend I saw 100+ deer and no elk and it was a full moon.

The next day i saw considerably less deer and still no elk.

My garmin GPS labeled saturday (100 deer day) as being excellent
    gps labeled the next day as being a good day, which it was (had 3-4 shot opportunities, but not tag so just had to watch)
    a bow with wheels, and one that is a stick
    "SAVE PAPER! Use the animals as targets"
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson
    "If god didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?"

I just finished reading a book by Jeff Murray called MoonStruck. I am sold and going to try my vacation days around his predictions from the moon phase for 2009. The affects of the moon werent directly related to the moon itself but when it was exactly overhead and underfoot of of your latitude and longitude. He also sells calculators that predict the rut and best days and times to hunt ungulates specfically not the general hunt and fish calculators which many have tried and say dont work. Not that is is a huge case study but for example last year I took the second week of November off right before gun season and didnt see any shooters and not many deer. The week before some folks I know who hunt the same area say a ton of deer and got a few nice ones. According to Jeff's calendar I should have for 08 taken off the first week on November not the second for the pre-rut chase phase.
    Elite Answer
    Tolke Whip
    DAS Longbow
    Bear Recurve
    Scorypd Ventilator

Quote Originally Posted by ATB View Post
    I just finished reading a book by Jeff Murray called MoonStruck. I am sold and going to try my vacation days around his predictions from the moon phase for 2009. The affects of the moon werent directly related to the moon itself but when it was exactly overhead and underfoot of of your latitude and longitude. He also sells calculators that predict the rut and best days and times to hunt ungulates specfically not the general hunt and fish calculators which many have tried and say dont work. Not that is is a huge case study but for example last year I took the second week of November off right before gun season and didnt see any shooters and not many deer. The week before some folks I know who hunt the same area say a ton of deer and got a few nice ones. According to Jeff's calendar I should have for 08 taken off the first week on November not the second for the pre-rut chase phase.
    Where did you get the book? Is there any info on line about it? Thanks for the advice I will be sure to check it out. Make sure you record yor info for the year, and get back to us with your results.

Quote Originally Posted by coachjdub View Post
    Where did you get the book? Is there any info on line about it? Thanks for the advice I will be sure to check it out. Make sure you record yor info for the year, and get back to us with your results.
    Here's where I got the book and guide. I already keep a journal I just need to add moon phase I am taking all my vacation days based off the best days to hunt this year I will let you know my results. BTW I dont know this guy or get paid to endorse just thought he and Myles Keller put together some good info.

http://www.moonguide.com/component/o...art/Itemid,26/
    Elite Answer
    Tolke Whip
    DAS Longbow
    Bear Recurve
    Scorypd Ventilator

I don't have enough data for anyone to draw conclusions, but last week I checked my 2008-2009 log against moon phases and noticed that I saw the most deer when the moon was half full or less.

I saw nothing during full moons. (Those were morning or evening hunts. I don't know what mid-day activity was.)
    OK, so my comment didn't add any significant wisdom to this discussion. But it DID up my post count, and pretty soon I will be regarded as a wise, experienced expert based on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ATB View Post
    I've had that book for probably 10 years or more but where I hunt I never could get the feeding times to collaborate with his chart but ... I do think he's on to something regarding the new moon triggering the rut (assuming normal weather and relatively low hunting pressure). Just last week I went back and made a charts of the new moon for October and November going back 15 years then compared to notes and observations. It was very close.

In comparision, Mr. Alshiemer is convinced the FULL moon is what triggers the rut, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least where I hunt. For example, he said last year would be a late rut but actually it wasn't. The last few days of October and first of November were crazy. This year he says it'll be first week of November but if you believe Murray's theories, it'll be closer to mid November. It'll be interesting to watch regardless.
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

This would be a good thread to keep updated.
    I found some good info on the moon phases here
    http://www.almanac.com/moon http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/in....css&Submit=Go http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php use the U.S. Naval Observatory link and this but it's for england or somthing.. http://www.cellstop.com.na/weather/w...oon-phase.html
    Note the moon phases are bacward compaired to ours here in the US.
    I was allways told the best fishing and hunting times or when they are more active is when the moon is directly over head or under foot and that is when the tide is highest or lowest. can anyone else shed some more light on this?
    Thanks.

Thats wierd I was told deer move and feed when its rising or falling. (the moon)

But yall do this only and best way i know to convince yourselves is buy the casio fish/hunt watch doesnt matter which put it on and everytime you see a deer look at the times....wont b long your a believer. Your buddies can participate and tell you when they see a deer...before long your watches name will be "Mickey" and everybody wanna know "Whats Mickey say?"

Make sure you set up it correctly
    ELITE E32..........it TICKLES when people click it!

When its a full moon, I have notice deer seem to move up towards noon or late morning. At least thats how it is here.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

not setup up for England set up on Greenwick mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Man View Post
    When its a full moon, I have notice deer seem to move up towards noon or late morning. At least thats how it is here.
    I refer to full moons as hunt 10a-2p thats worked more days and kills than 1

Quote Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
    not setup up for England set up on Greenwick mean time.
    Yazoo Ms -6.5 GMT