a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: 3D target repair

3D target repair

Due to the high prices of inserts for McKenzie and other targets, what is the best and cheapest way to repair targets that need new inserts? I have seen some targets that have been repaired at a local shoot but did not ask then what they used. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

this works very well http://www.3-dcountry.com/
    2014 Darton 3814 VaporTrail strings & Micro Elite, Carbon Express CXL arrows.

Good site!!

Thats what I am looking for Thanks. I am sure that there are those do it yourselfers that have found other processes that work also. Would like to hear about them as well.

Thumbs up

3dcountry is the best there is .
    Wild Turkey Ridge & Twin Oaks ( Both gone but not forgotten )
    TRU Ball Staff
    All black Chill X : )
    All black Chill X

Quote Originally Posted by John-in-VA View Post
    3dcountry is the best there is .
    Ditto. I've repaired a few myself. $40 gets you a repaired a target.
    <----<<< John >>>----->
    Palm Beach Archery
    www.palmbeacharchery.com
    Boca Raton, Florida

had some guys at the worlds tell me they used the expanding foam from a can but i do not see that working to well. the texture is not even close. george at 3d country has the real deal

I've been looking at these kits. Seems expensive, but haven't looked into new prices of or if I can get the kits I used to buy. The kits that I bought would repair several targets and cost about $50.00 - I gallon of foam, 1 quart of activator, cups, gloves, mixing sticks. The foam works so fast that the target could be repaired/worked down within an hour.
    The grinding tool they have to work down excessive foam is nice, but a horse rasp will last and last. They will take off foam quickly, too much if using pressure. Caution, horse rasps are sharp.

I found not to remove any more foam than necessary. I use a jig saw with 2" blade and clean out loose foam. Old target parts can be cut down to fill big holes. The buffalo has 14" of cut Rinehart foam for the center core and foamed over 2" on each side. I fixed that 2 or 3 years ago and it's still being used. The grizzly posed a problem as the zones intersected. Again, cut Rinehart foam filled the big holes and then foamed over 2".

Those use up about 1/4 of the $50 kit. I am in doubts that these kits can be bought today. I will check with the retired dealer and will get back to you.

For cracks and breaks try Titebond. It's the best I've found. Open crack, pour in, apply pressure for an 1 1/2 hours and ready to shoot. See if I can show some pics. First pic is repair of back legs broken clear off. Next are targets junked because of pass throughs and too expensive to replace centers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

3m makes a grinding wheel like thing sells for about 9 buck's,it works great with a cordless drill .I think it for striping paint .It only took about 10 min and I had my target looking good (after it was patched ).
    Wild Turkey Ridge & Twin Oaks ( Both gone but not forgotten )
    TRU Ball Staff
    All black Chill X : )
    All black Chill X

I bought a can of $5.00 spray foam and Menards and sprayed it on both sides of a old phone book I stuffed in the hole. Looks like crap but it stops arrows from my recurve.
    Jerry S - Bowhunting & 3D Enthusiast
    Hoyt Buffalo Recurve & Vectrix Compound
    USA Archery Level 2 Instructor

ok here is a do-it-yourself trick.

1. clean area to be repaired from any loose material.
    2. place duct tape across the backside of the open core to be repaired this will serve as a temp backing to hold what comes next.
    3. next apply a small layer of Expanding foam to the back of the taped area.( you can buy this foam at lowes Homedepot and some walmarts)
    4. After that foam has hardened alittle start stuffing the inside of the target with newspaper or rags and i mean STUFF IT until you have about 6 inchs before coming out of the front of the target.
    5. remove duct tape fromt eh target and Wrap the entire midsection with SARAN WRAP over and over and over until you have a nice tight wrap that will hold front and back.
    6. insert nozzle on can of expanding foam thru the front of the midsection and spray it full and wait for it to expand out.
    7. remove the saran wrap and trim off the un wanted foam from around the animal making it look close to the original shape it was.
    8. Spray paint to match your target and if target rings are prefered take a blunt object and trace your scoring rings in.

Hope this helps you out.
    Everyone makes me happy, some when they come and some when they go. Which will you be?

Thanks for the responses!!

It seems as though the 3M canned expanding foam would work on cracks around the insert area, but would not hold up to alot of shots. It just does not seem dense or pliable enough and would eventually be scattered across the yard. Good idea for the less frequently shot areas though.

George @ 3D Country is the only option! There is no better!
    Take your child hunting, and you won't have to hunt your child!!
    Athens Archery Factory Pro Staff, Athens Assassin Road Crew, Shrewd Stabilization, Tru-Ball Inside Out, Spot Hogg,Black Eagle Shooting Staff, AAE Vanes and Rests,blah, blah, blah. Don't "Pencil-Whip" Me!! Support 3D4CP! or you suck! Shoot with me at "The Archery Shop"...Carlisle, Ohio. Where kids are welcome!

3-D Target Repair

I use 3-dcountry works very well

If you want to waist your time then go ahead but 3-d country will last 3 to 4 times longer than new.
    A O ARCHERY SHOP
    8795 farmerville west carrollton pk.
    germantown oh.(937)859-3015
    pro shop hoyt/pse/mckenzie
    30 outdoor 3-D targets/indoor range/practice bags
    Just remember this is suppose to be fun

I have to agree qith the above on 3-d. Been watching these guy's at the ASA shoots and most of our local ranges repair their targets with his product. Holds up quite well. Done the spray foam thing and it doesn't hold up very long.

Offering 3D Archery Target Repairs

If you would like a professional repair job with the option of permanently joining the sections of your target, go to
    www.3DArcheryRepairsPlusLLC.com

I use a very dense, self-healing foam, repair and/or replace ears. Offer the option of painting the entire target to look very realistic.
    Located in South Jersey. If you're interested please leave your info on my web page's contact form.

There's a list of services, prices and photos. All animal targets are accepted not just deer!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by slamnationalley View Post
    I have to agree qith the above on 3-d. Been watching these guy's at the ASA shoots and most of our local ranges repair their targets with his product. Holds up quite well. Done the spray foam thing and it doesn't hold up very long.
    ok...what's the story on that avatar???
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

Our club has been using the foam in a can for years now and works as well as anything.

i have to disagree, can foam is worthless. Ive used every kind on the market, longhorn, magic fix as well as several others. Georges at 3-d country is the best, but very expensive. I was getting foam from triple r archery out of milwaukee, but now i cant get a hold of them. It last a good amount of time and heals very well. But still 3-d country out of depere wisconsin is the Best ive seen. any club who has newer targets should invest in this stuff. It will last longer than most factory foams, and the last i had heard he did an exchange on rhinehart cores so you wouldn't have to wait as long to get them back.

now there is another option! one I have personally used! less evpensive than other self-healing foam products on the markt and easy to use. check out 3dtargetrepairfoam.com or 3dtrf.com i'm always looking for ways to save money but also do not want to sacrifice quality! I repaired my midsection of my deer after it was shot into two pieces....GOOD AS NEW! actually better than new.. the repair foam in this kit is better than the OEM matieral! dont waste your time with canned spray foam! pour it, trim it, shape it, paint it...and start flinging arrows!

i use the 17 lb density flex foam from smooth on.com on my range. i just cored and repaired 10 targets for 145 bucks. this also will last 3-4 times longer than oem inserts. 10 pound from smooth on just not firm enough

how do you get the scoring rings in the foam?
    Strother Infinity black death
    Strother Rush lime green

You burn them in go to 3d country.com and he has a tool that looks like a soldering iron with a compass point on it works very well
    Hoyt Alpha elite
    Hoyt crx 32
    Hoyt ultra elite
    Easton Arrows
    Dead center archery staff shooter / BOHNING Staff shooter/Daves archery