Thread: Best broadhead for crossbow?

Best broadhead for crossbow?

My dad is getting back into hunting and has a Horton Hunter Supreme. I was curious what the best broadhead out there is for a crossbow. I have never shot a deer with a crossbow and don't hunt with one so I don't have any idea. I am leaning toward setting him up with Strikers, but have also thought about Slick Trick Mags and Grim Reapers. Thanks in advance.

The big issue here is that crossbows can't be tuned like a compound. So, if the broadheads impact at a different location than field points, there isn't much you can do about it. The first thing is make sure you're cocking the string to the same location every time. Also make sure all the bolts are tight and that the string and cables are not overly worn. If that doesn't help you can try changes to the arrows like different fletching, different broadheads or even different weight field points.

I'd say get some slick tricks and give them a try. If they land within a 2 or 3 inches at 30 or 40 yards, adjust your sight to that POI and go hunting. If they are more off than that, try different arrows or use a mechanical like the Grim Reaper.

We where shooting my father-in-laws crossbow yesterday with different BH's. The slick tricks and magnus buzzcuts hit identical to the field points. The muzzy 4 blades where another story, they went all different directions.
    Mathews Z7

Bowhunters4Life

My future father inlaw has had great success with Wasp Jack Hammers outta his Xbow...but im trying to sway him to Magnus Buzzcuts...lol.
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

Try the Steelhead, they shoot exactly like your field points and are 100% steel so they will take the high KE output that most crossbows put out.

Good luck

wathched my buddy the other day shooting his x-bow with 125 gr montecs and they were flying perfect for him. the dealer told him shoot 125 and higher. I dont know why but thats what they told him. he shoots 100 gr montecs out of his compound bow. hes killed 4 mega bucks with his compound in 4 years so dont no why he got a xbow?

Quote Originally Posted by RUTTING BULL View Post
    wathched my buddy the other day shooting his x-bow with 125 gr montecs and they were flying perfect for him. the dealer told him shoot 125 and higher. I dont know why but thats what they told him. he shoots 100 gr montecs out of his compound bow. hes killed 4 mega bucks with his compound in 4 years so dont no why he got a xbow?
    The shorter crossbow arrows need more FOC to fly accurately than the longer compound bow arrows. IIRC 15 to 18% is ideal. Some arrows, like Gold Tip Laser II, are available with a brass insert. This allows you to shoot 100 or 125 grain broadheads and still have a good FOC.

I shoot the 2 bladed Rage out of my Barrnet Quad 400 and have had no problems. They do a good job.

Revolution

My cousin shoots Slick Trick 100 Magnums out of his crossbow with no problems at all!
    Stage 1 Strings Hunting PS / Fury X Archery SS / Dead Center Archery PS / Slick Trick PS / Gold Tip AS / Carbomask PS / Trophy Blend Scents PS / Tenzing FS / Bohning SS / U-Slide PS / Spot Hogg PS / TightSpot Quiver PS / Mossy Oak PS / Swarovski Field Tech / Team QAD PS

Grim Reaper 125gr. work great on my son's Parker Buckbuster.
    2007 Bowtech Tomkat
    GT 7595
    NAP Thunderheads

I barrowed a Horton Summit 150 xbow for my kids to hunt with this year. We have shot 125g montecs and thunderheads and 100g 2-blade rages and all three easily hit well enough to hunt out to 25 yards.

I put 3 100gr 3blade muzzy's in the same hole 3 times one shot at a time else I be buying new bolts ...Hook

There's a xbow section on here. Try posting in there. Probably get more answers