Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your opinion on the use of "bait" for bears?

Whats your opinion on the use of "bait" for bears?

The use of bait to attract bears is absolutely ethical and only those who have lost their "common sense" would oppose it.

Interestingly....morality and common sense run parallel. This is why states like Oregon and Washington had the most liberal elements influence the masses to outlaw this. Go figure.

If you are against baiting bears.....try fishing without lures, power bait, flies, worms, etc.
    2013 Elite Hunter

For what I've read there are only three ways to hunt bear.
    1. Use bait
    2. Use dogs
    3. Get lucky

It would be nearly impossible to hunt them in most states if you didn't bait them! The landscape, the stealth and nocturnal behavior of them, would make it impossible! Therefore the population would soar in certain areas, especially urban zones. Look at New Jersey for instance. A SERIOUS bear problem in that state!
    By the way, i'm going on a fall bear hunt over bait in 2010. I'll report back on how unethical it is..

I have learned by experiance that the word bait in this fourm can be a very dirty word, so I

Not being a bear hunter, I really had issues with using what I would call "extra" bait - that is, stuff like grease, meat scraps, and that sort of stuff that you take out to a barrel in the woods (as opposed to the food sources that bears naturally find). I figured it would be more "sporting" (I hate that term, but don't know what else to call it) to pattern them like you do deer and hunt their food, bedding, and travel routes.

But after asking around, I understand that the bear's range is so huge, and the list of what it will eat is so huge, that you simply can't pattern and hunt them like you would deer. Too many extra variables. So dogs or baiting seem to be the only effective ways when hunting bears in thick cover. I guess you can glass, spot, and stalk bears in open country. Anyway, point being that they're just very different from deer.

"Interestingly....morality and common sense run parallel. This is why states like Oregon and Washington had the most liberal elements influence the masses to outlaw this. Go figure."

I'm not sure what you mean by morality and common sense run parallel. Stuff that runs "parallel" are supposed to go hand-in-hand, work together, etc. Perhaps morality and common sense do run together (though it depends on whose common sense we're using). But I don't quite understand how this relates to outlawed bear baiting. For instance, it was "common sense" to me, based on my deer hunting experience, that you should be able to hunt bears without that extra bait. However, this was erroneous "common sense" because the two animals are very different and I wasn't fully aware. After learning more about bears, it's now my "common sense" that you can't hunt them the same. What we call "common sense" is really nothing more than the combination of peoples' opinions and experience - some of it is useful and some is not.

So, what does common sense have to do with morality and bear hunting? Could you clarify?
    Monster Bows Phoenix (60#, 29")
    Copper John Dead Nuts Pro III
    Whisker Biscuit
    Beman ICS 400's

You only take one shot at a time, so make it count!

I don't like hunting anything with bait but I don't hate on someone that does.

i don't care if you smoke um out with tear gas to kill them,,,,,but you guys have noidea what you are talking about,,i've had them patterned for 15 years now,,,there like anything else,,they have there favorite places to travel and hang out.
    famous Chris Bracket quote.
    "BUT THE MAIN REASON I SHOOT A RAGE IS THAT IF A GIANT WHITETAIL STEPS OUT AND I ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT AND ITS VITALS ARE BEHIND A TREE I CAN PULL MY PIN TO THE CENTER OF ITS GUTS AND PULL THE TRIGGER AND THE BUCK WONT BE FATHER THEN 100 YARDS 6 HOURS LATER!!!! DEAD DEER WALKING!!!!! BOOYAH!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Ohio View Post
    1. Use bait
    2. Use dogs
    3. Get lucky
    Must be some really lucky folks in CO......no baiting allowed and people still manage to kill bears every year
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Though my experience on the matter is very limited, what I have noticed is that different areas will only give a person certain opportunities.

Here in the northwoods of Minnesota, It would be extremely difficult to hunt bears without bait. Even with bait, it's not an easy task.

Also, baiting to me is part of the fun of the hunt. It makes the whole hunt an adventure/process, instead of just putting up stands and sitting. It's the whole deer-camp mentality except on the weeks before you actually get to hunt... you can actually party a little bit because you don't actually have to wake up early and hunt. That way, when it's actually time to hunt, hunting is the only thing you're doing.

I myself had thought the same thing about baiting deer and bears, or using dogs for mountain lions vs bears. What I've concluded is that until you've done something, it's really hard for you to truly understand the justification of such acts. If it's not in your taste, that's fine, but don't judge others until you've tried it.

Ib4 hoyt, props to you, I don't know how you've patterned them but however you did it, that's kindof impressive. At least from what I've been able to tell with them up here.

Quote Originally Posted by JG358 View Post
    Must be some really lucky folks in CO......no baiting allowed and people still manage to kill bears every year
    Colorado has a lot of open land that allows people to glass a lot of countryside. Here in the northland that is absolutely impossible. The bear we got this year was withing 30 yards of us for 2 hours, but we couldn't see him until he was fifteen yards, simply because the pines and underbrush are so thick and there is very little open land.

If its legal and you want to use it, more power to you.
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 29"/63 lb
    -Copper John Dead Nuts Pro, Whisker Biscuit, Eastman Carbon Stab, Treelimb Premium Quiver, 60X stings, G5 peep
    -Harvest Time Harvester HT2s, 125gr G5 Montec CS (375 Gr)
    -293 fps

Bears

Quote Originally Posted by JG358 View Post
    And also look how many bears have been put down this year. There have been in the last three weeks in Aspen alone.

Who cares what my or others opinion is. What is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by godex003 View Post
    Colorado has a lot of open land that allows people to glass a lot of countryside. Here in the northland that is absolutely impossible. The bear we got this year was withing 30 yards of us for 2 hours, but we couldn't see him until he was fifteen yards, simply because the pines and underbrush are so thick and there is very little open land.

Yup, no pines with underbrush around here
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Amendment 10 in Colorado (amendment to ban the spring bear season, bait, and hounds) was pushed through in part because some anti's proposed that too many sows with cubs were being killed. What better way to analyze a situation than to either tree a bear and watch it or sit and watch it for 10 minutes over bait. Pretty simple to tell if they're nursing or have cubs that way, but once again logic and common sense went by the wayside.

Two other large contributing factors were involved; one being the lack of data provided by the DOW regarding bear population and distribution and the other was the support of elitist sportsmen and sportsmens' groups.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Here in BC we can`t bait bears and we must be lucky cause we still are able to kill them. I would have to agree with no baiting in populated area`s like washington and oregon . Baiting is just teaching bears that humans give out free handouts .
    [better a sister in a w#orehouse...then a brother with a mathews

I am not a bear hunter. Just have never gotten into it. But i know plenty of guys here in oregon who are. There were very against the no baiting law when it went into effect. However, they now have learned to hunt bears differently and use the bears natural feed and seem to enjoy themselves more now then before. There success rate also seems to be better now then before.

No problem here with using bait for anything. It's illegal in NM. But i'd choose not to anyway, it just adds a different element to the equation when you track, spot and stalk a bear. Besides that, having spent 13 years with a disability and hunting from stands, i can't just sit and wait anyway, i have to be moving around.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Menken
    09 MARTIN WARTHOG 72# 31" wicked1strings

1. Use bait
    2. Use dogs
    3. Get lucky
    that's simply not true

here in Oregon, where we haven't been able to bait or use dogs for bear since the early 90's, we take many bears by knowing where they feed or calling them in - no more "luck" than is involved in most any other type of hunting

and, some of our bear country is the thickest tangles you'll ever find
    Mathews Drenalin

Sounds like one of the biggest variables is the type of terrain you're hunting in and what the options for food the bears have.
    Monster Bows Phoenix (60#, 29")
    Copper John Dead Nuts Pro III
    Whisker Biscuit
    Beman ICS 400's

You only take one shot at a time, so make it count!

If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by dillershortbow View Post
    Here in BC we can`t bait bears and we must be lucky cause we still are able to kill them. I would have to agree with no baiting in populated area`s like washington and oregon . Baiting is just teaching bears that humans give out free handouts .

Populated areas like Oregon and Washington? Who are you listening to? You are grossly mis-informed....VAST areas in both states with wide open spaces. You must have us confused with California.

Baiting is NOT teaching bears that humans give handouts....respectfully, that is a very innaccurate statement. Most of the provinces in upper Canada, the bears NEVER even see humans.Throw that theory out the window.

This is the kind of reasoning that is used to "ban" this practice. In reality, it is "leftist" mentality that has affected our rights and sport.
    2013 Elite Hunter

1. Use bait
    2. Use dogs
    3. Get lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    It would be nearly impossible to hunt them in most states if you didn't bait them! The landscape, the stealth and nocturnal behavior of them, would make it impossible! Therefore the population would soar in certain areas, especially urban zones. Look at New Jersey for instance. A SERIOUS bear problem in that state!
    By the way, i'm going on a fall bear hunt over bait in 2010. I'll report back on how unethical it is..
    Ya what they said.
    09 MATHEWS HYPERLIGHT
    I don't only train gun dogs, but family friends as well.
    MY PROSHOP IS WHITE TIP ARCHERY (Pocatello Id)

Here's what we use in Arkansas, and our baits (3) are getting pounded by 10+ bears each(all baits are several miles apart so we are definitely getting different bears)

we start by putting out a bunch of old fryer grease, then we have 25 gal barrels with holes drilled in them, that we fill with whole corn and molasses. Then we also have 55gal barrels that we will put old bread, homemade kettle corn, and dog food in.

Has worked great for us.

I am not sure why you felt like you had to justify your hunting method. I am not ashamed of it, it is legal so we do it.

Don't feel the need to justify my hunting at all. I really could care less what some "haters" might think. They can blow up threads all they want, won't change me being a law abiding hunter.

Didn't read any of the posts because it would have detoured me from my opinion....so.....i think that it's nessasary in order for most to kill a bear.Would i get the same enjoyment pot shooting one over bait as i would hunting one......one on one....no.Hunting over bait allows the hunter to choose more easy as to the size of bear he wants to shoot.As long as it's legal.......it's up to the one who bought the tag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast