a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: How to wash Scent-Lok??? Please Help...

How to wash Scent-Lok??? Please Help...

Ok, so my new scent-lok full season suit will be here next week and im not sure how to wash it. Since it is new, do you think i should run it through the washer right off the bat? Is there a certain detergant i should use? Do i run it through the dryer? Can i spray the outside down with cover scents? I read on a post where they said spraying it with a cover scent just breaks it down, is that true? Sorry for so many qustions I have never had a carbon suit.

When I bought my scent lok suits a couple of years ago I was told not to wash ot unless it was absolutly nessecary. To re-activate the charcoal simply run it through a dryer on the hottest setting possible. I take mine to a laundry mat and use one of the big dryers. I do this at the start of each season and then keep it all in a scent lok bag.
    Hoyt VANTAGE ELITE
    HOYT PRO ELITE X2
    BRUNNERS PRO SHOP STAFF SHOOTER
    TAP

All new clothes has a " new smell " oder.....so i would wash it.As far as detergant......i'd use some type of scent controll type laundry wash.....i like fresh earth scent.Should say on the tags how to dry it.......myself...i'd hang it out doors to dry.gl

It comes with washing instructions...When i got mine new it had the new smell deal so I wore it out scouting one day and got it all nasty ans sweatry and smelling like the earth. Then I took it home and washed it in some scent shield detergent and then in the dryer for 40 minutes just like the directions called for. Now its in my gear tote with freah earth waffers making them smell like the earth.

I wash mine at the beginning of each season, then just reactivate it in the drier after each hunt. I do use a Dead Down Wind drier sheet with them each time I reactivate them. When I wash them, I use the laundry soap that is supposed to be for the carbon clothes. I dont know if it makes any real diff between that and the regular scent killer laundry soap, but it doesnt cost much more anyhow.
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 29"/63 lb
    -Copper John Dead Nuts Pro, Whisker Biscuit, Eastman Carbon Stab, Treelimb Premium Quiver, 60X stings, G5 peep
    -Harvest Time Harvester HT2s, 125gr G5 Montec CS (375 Gr)
    -293 fps

i wash my scentlok stuff with the rest of my clothes. i wear just the base layers with a leafy mesh bug suit during this early part of the season, and havent had any problems with deer picking up on scent. i bought a new base layers shirt the other day as my old one had ripped, and the new one smelled just like my old stuff ive been washing for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Wicked View Post
    It comes with washing instructions...When i got mine new it had the new smell deal so I wore it out scouting one day and got it all nasty ans sweatry and smelling like the earth. Then I took it home and washed it in some scent shield detergent and then in the dryer for 40 minutes just like the directions called for. Now its in my gear tote with freah earth waffers making them smell like the earth.

I'm pretty sure the scnetlok/blocker clothes are not supposed to be (per the manfuacturer) store with scented wafers. I think that defeats the purpose of the garment because the carbon fills up it's absobtion abilities on that scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Growler17 View Post
    Ok, so my new scent-lok full season suit will be here next week and im not sure how to wash it. Since it is new, do you think i should run it through the washer right off the bat? Is there a certain detergant i should use? Do i run it through the dryer? Can i spray the outside down with cover scents? I read on a post where they said spraying it with a cover scent just breaks it down, is that true? Sorry for so many qustions I have never had a carbon suit.
    You posted this in two different forums - one here and the other in bowhunting. You might want to check both. I responded to the other.

I'd read the instructions.
    2007 Bowtech Equalizer
    QAD Pro LD, VIPER Predator Hunter, B-Stinger, Easton Axis STs, and Slick Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    All new clothes has a " new smell " oder.....so i would wash it.As far as detergant......i'd use some type of scent controll type laundry wash.....i like fresh earth scent.Should say on the tags how to dry it.......myself...i'd hang it out doors to dry.gl
    ICim2 I don't usually disagree with you from reading your other post I can tell you know your stuff but Adding Earth scent either with laundry wash or wafers clogs the carbon shortening the time between cleaning. I would use non scented detergent Scent-Lock has there own brand.

cover scents and scent wafers with carbon suits...

It is against manufacturers instructions to store your suit with anything that can be adsorbed by your carbon suit. it just continues to boggle my mind how many guys pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to smell "invisible" by buying these suits and then go and spray down with a cover scent or clip on a wafer or 2. Now Im just as much of a scent control freak as it gets, i own two different scentblocker suits and all the baselayers. I take scent killing showers every morning before the hunt and the only thing i spray on myself is a scent killing agent. I try very hard to smell like nothing in the woods. To me wearing scent wafers and using a cover scent while wearing a carbon suit goes against everything that was designed to accomplish.
    Last edited by BowTechTony; September 17th, 2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    I like to think of LUCK as the point at which preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by hjort jagare View Post
    ICim2 I don't usually disagree with you from reading your other post I can tell you know your stuff but Adding Earth scent either with laundry wash or wafers clogs the carbon shortening the time between cleaning. I would use non scented detergent Scent-Lock has there own brand.
    Ok........my bad.

Wash it at the beginning of the season with scent free soap. I dry it with scent free dryer sheets. It then goes into a tinks carbon lined bag that gets sealed up tight. After 2 or 3 hunts, I pop it back into the dryer for 40 minutes and seal it up tight again. Before each trip into the field I spray it down with scent eliminator, but not cover scent. I don't think you'd have any trouble if you wear a scent wafer while hunting with it, but you'd need to reactivate it more often in the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Wicked View Post
    You realize that when leave your scent lok gear with earth waffers or spray them with cover scent they suit just soaks that up and fills up. the carbon will be full and will not absorb your body scent when you put it on.

edit.... myfault. beating the dead horse. i should really read ahead
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

You only wash carbon suits when they get physical dirt or blood on them. Care instructions below:

10 points on proper care for activated carbon suits and other accessories used in conjunction with it:

1. All Scent Lok branded garments use carbon derived from charred coconut shells. Coconut carbon has smaller pores than most other carbons making it one of the best available carbons for adsorbing small molecules associated with human odors.
    2. To reactivate carbon garments, put them in a household or commercial dryer for 30 to 40 minutes on a high heat setting. The heat makes the bonded human molecules move rapidly and the motion breaks a percentage of the molecules free from the carbon (carbon is not affected by the heat) and allows them to escape out the dryer vent. The molecular motion is very similar to why there are expansion joints in highways and steel bridges. Without expansion joints our highways and bridges would buckle from molecular expansion when temperatures exceed a mere 90 or so degrees. The reactivation process should be repeated every 4 to 6 hunts. Due to the extreme amount of odor coming out of your hair follicles, mouth, nose, and hands, head covers and gloves should be reactivated more frequently than the jacket and pants. New carbon garments should always be reactivated prior to use in the field, because they are loading up as they hang in the store.
    3. All carbon garments should go directly from the dryer into an air-tight storage container (garbage bag, carbon bag, or a Scent Tote) that allows no outside odors (air) inside. Never put scent wafers, pine boughs, dirt, or any foreign items in the container with your suit because their odor molecules will prematurely load up the carbon, requiring more frequent reactivations, and shortening the life expectancy of the suit. Carbon suits have a life expectancy of about 8 years with average use and proper care before they can no longer be effectively re-activated.
    4. Carbon lined garments must be kept in their container until used in the field (not even to be wore in the vehicle). When finished hunting the suit goes back into the storage container prior to getting back into the vehicle or walking into the house. Do not wear carbon garments in the house, car, getting gas, in restaurants, etc., just hunting.
    5. It is advised to wash all undergarments in a non-scent detergent and taken care of them (storage unit) in the same manner as the carbon clothing.
    6. Scent-Lok branded garments can be washed periodically (once or twice per season) if they have physical dirt or blood on them. This can be done in a washing machine using a small amount of scent free detergent for carbon clothing (preferably Scent Lok’s or Scent Blocker’s). Suits should be air-dried in the dryer first to assure there is no shrinkage. Once air-dried reactivate them with heat as described in section 2.
    7. There is no need to spray scent inhibitors over your suit.
    8. It is advised to shower and shampoo with non-scent soap, and use a non-scent
    anti-perspirant prior to going hunting.
    9. Always wear clean knee high rubber boots in conjunction with your suit, and wear your pants outside of the boots instead of tucking them in. Every time you take a step a puff of air comes out of your boots and the carbon in the pant legs will adsorb it.
    10. Keep your fanny pack or backpack scent free by frequently washing it, and keep it in a separate air-tight container as well.

An activated carbon suit is only as good as the care you give it, and a properly cared for suit will make a huge difference in the amount of deer you get close to. GOOD HUNTING – John Eberhart
    J Eberhart

Quote Originally Posted by hjort jagare View Post
    Yeah that's what happens alright the cabon gets clogged.....read the deposiiton on what "pro staffs" said about carbon clothes......I persoanlly don;t want to wear two layers of Scnt lock to keep from deer scening me. Which is what was recommended by the manufacturer.....
    Isaiah 49:2 <><

I use scentloc soap if I do wash them.Dont wash the much you can trow it in the dryer and reactivate it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Eberhart View Post
    You only wash carbon suits when they get physical dirt or blood on them. Care instructions below:

10 points on proper care for activated carbon suits and other accessories used in conjunction with it:

1. All Scent Lok branded garments use carbon derived from charred coconut shells. Coconut carbon has smaller pores than most other carbons making it one of the best available carbons for adsorbing small molecules associated with human odors.
    2. To reactivate carbon garments, put them in a household or commercial dryer for 30 to 40 minutes on a high heat setting. The heat makes the bonded human molecules move rapidly and the motion breaks a percentage of the molecules free from the carbon (carbon is not affected by the heat) and allows them to escape out the dryer vent. The molecular motion is very similar to why there are expansion joints in highways and steel bridges. Without expansion joints our highways and bridges would buckle from molecular expansion when temperatures exceed a mere 90 or so degrees. The reactivation process should be repeated every 4 to 6 hunts. Due to the extreme amount of odor coming out of your hair follicles, mouth, nose, and hands, head covers and gloves should be reactivated more frequently than the jacket and pants. New carbon garments should always be reactivated prior to use in the field, because they are loading up as they hang in the store.
    3. All carbon garments should go directly from the dryer into an air-tight storage container (garbage bag, carbon bag, or a Scent Tote) that allows no outside odors (air) inside. Never put scent wafers, pine boughs, dirt, or any foreign items in the container with your suit because their odor molecules will prematurely load up the carbon, requiring more frequent reactivations, and shortening the life expectancy of the suit. Carbon suits have a life expectancy of about 8 years with average use and proper care before they can no longer be effectively re-activated.
    4. Carbon lined garments must be kept in their container until used in the field (not even to be wore in the vehicle). When finished hunting the suit goes back into the storage container prior to getting back into the vehicle or walking into the house. Do not wear carbon garments in the house, car, getting gas, in restaurants, etc., just hunting.
    5. It is advised to wash all undergarments in a non-scent detergent and taken care of them (storage unit) in the same manner as the carbon clothing.
    6. Scent-Lok branded garments can be washed periodically (once or twice per season) if they have physical dirt or blood on them. This can be done in a washing machine using a small amount of scent free detergent for carbon clothing (preferably Scent Lok’s or Scent Blocker’s). Suits should be air-dried in the dryer first to assure there is no shrinkage. Once air-dried reactivate them with heat as described in section 2.
    7. There is no need to spray scent inhibitors over your suit.
    8. It is advised to shower and shampoo with non-scent soap, and use a non-scent
    anti-perspirant prior to going hunting.
    9. Always wear clean knee high rubber boots in conjunction with your suit, and wear your pants outside of the boots instead of tucking them in. Every time you take a step a puff of air comes out of your boots and the carbon in the pant legs will adsorb it.
    10. Keep your fanny pack or backpack scent free by frequently washing it, and keep it in a separate air-tight container as well.

An activated carbon suit is only as good as the care you give it, and a properly cared for suit will make a huge difference in the amount of deer you get close to. GOOD HUNTING – John Eberhart
    I think I just read that chapter in your bowhunting pressured whitetails book earlier this morning too. Starting on page 48 I believe!! Excellent advice so far in your book too. Just my 2 cents...
    LH Hoyt AM32 Realtree Limbs/Blackout Riser, 70#/29", HHA OL5200X and Nockturnals.