Thread: ILF for hunting

ILF for hunting

Looking for suggestions for an ILF riser for hunting. I'll be using a plunger/flipper combo. Any thoughts, pics would help.

Let me add that I am planning on using my Hoyt Stratix limbs, they are 40lbs and Short.

I am thinking about the Bernardini Cobra or Mamba but I'm concerned about over stressing the limbs. I draw 26.5. I was also thinking about the Morrison Mini 14 but I think that would be pushing it.

LS -

Any or all of the above should be fine as would a TT Titan or 3R Dalaa riser. From a functional stand-point, all the riser needs to be is inert. The idea of replaceable grips is a plus and some of the Jaeger stuff is super. I think over-stressing the limbs with a 26.5" draw would be ALMOST impossible.

If you want to save a few bucks, think about a warf. May not be as purdy and you might loose some the weight adjustment, but mine has become my go-to trad bow.

Lastly some guys are using the Hoyt Excel riser in 21 or 23" lengths and seem to like them .

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Viper
    I have to agree on the Excel, I'm using it for my 3D shooting and it does perform very well. But I do find it on the light side. I know I can add a stabilizer but I'd rather have a heavier riser for more weight. I'm strongly considering the 21" DAS ILF but the cost is up there, the TT Titan is about 200 less. Anyone have a review.

I personally use a DAS and love it...but I'm sure the Bernardini or Morrison risers will work just fine also.

I actually like them all....especailly the Cobra in the snake finish and a Morrison with Cocobolo and Ebony.

Ray

Just a heads up. Theres a Proline warf riser over on TT for cheap. Bob G did the work, so I'm sure it's a good job.

The Proline Warf is a great riser for shorter draw lengths. Bob Gordon would probably be able to tell you exactly what poundage to expect with your limbs and draw on that riser.

Not to go too off track but I'm not really looking for a WARF. Thanks for the suggestion though.

No problem, it was just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by LongStick64 View Post
    Looking for suggestions for an ILF riser for hunting. I'll be using a plunger/flipper combo. Any thoughts, pics would help.

Let me add that I am planning on using my Hoyt Stratix limbs, they are 40lbs and Short.

I am thinking about the Bernardini Cobra or Mamba but I'm concerned about over stressing the limbs. I draw 26.5. I was also thinking about the Morrison Mini 14 but I think that would be pushing it.

I'm using and old Hoyt Pro Medalist 25" riser with short Hoyt wood/carbon 42#limbs. It gives a 66" bow with lots of speed at my 31" draw length. The bow was pretty noisy at first, but with some moleskin on the limb/limb pockets and a pair of limbsavers, it's pretty decent now. Just for grins, I put a 10" Doinker hunting stabilizer on it last night and it reduced noise a bit more, but I doubt I'll use it for hunting.

Anyway, the riser is like a tank and I don't think you could overstress it. You could probably find one cheap, too....

So what is the difference between the TT Titan and the DAS. To my untrained eye they look very close. Limb angles and all. I don't mean this to be a bash against one or the other, just honest opinion.

So what is the difference between the TT Titan and the DAS. To my untrained eye they look very close. Limb angles and all. I don't mean this to be a bash against one or the other, just honest opinion.
    I've owned, shot, competed and successfully hunted with both the Titan and DAS. The both have advantages and disadvantages.

Titan advantages:

Lower cost
    Lighter weight (if you like light weight risers)
    Slimmer profile and smaller diameter at the grip (more comfortable for me)
    ILF fittings (no need to swap out bushings, any ILF limbs should snap in as-is)
    No bump in the shelf (better fletching clearance off an elevated rest)
    Standard ATA accessory holes (no need to buy special adapters to use a bow quiver)
    More contoured design with rounded edges for better aesthetics
    Lateral limb adjustment to make sure your limbs are dead straight

DAS (Dalaa actually) advantages:

More preload adjustment due to non-ILF fittings
    Heavier weight (if you like heavier risers)
    Bump on shelf for easier off-the-shelf shooting

The geometry of the risers is very similar, so the same limbs on each riser will offer similar characteristics, but that’s just about it. There’s much more differences than there are similarities, IMO.
    The 17” Dalaa uses DAS bushings in the limbs; the Titan uses ILF bushings.

The Dalaa has finger groves on the back of the riser in the grip area; the Titan doesn’t.

The Titan offers lateral limb alignment; the Dalaa doesn’t. The limb bolt locking system is completely different on each riser.

The Titan has standard AMO holes; you have to buy a bracket for the Dalaa (no big deal, IMO)

The limb pockets are completely different on each riser.

The Titan has a hole below the grip so you can integrate riser weights in the riser; the Dalaa doesn’t.

The Titan offers three standard wooden grips; the Dalaa offers three standard poly grips.

The Titan riser costs about $100.00 less than the Dalaa.

I’m sure there are many more differences, but those just pops to mind. If I were in the market to purchase a new riser, I’d give a slight edge to the Dalaa; mostly because of the DAS limb attachment. In my experience with both risers, the Dalaa offers a wider range of weight adjustment.

It’s also my experience that no matter which one you select, you will have a great riser that will accommodate a wide range of limbs and perform flawlessly.
    Form is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Casto Jr View Post
    If I were in the market to purchase a new riser, I’d give a slight edge to the Dalaa; mostly because of the DAS limb attachment.
    My thoughts exactly.

I like the no hassle limb attachment where I don't have to worry or be concerned if the limbs are in alignment or not. The benefit with the LAS is when you are switching back and forth between different ILF limbs trying them out or switching from target bow to hunting bow.

Ray

Have to admit but the Titan sounds like a better choice than the Dalaa. First off the price, Dalaa ILF riser is 579, the Titan in 299. Thats a big difference, I could buy arrows or another pair of limbs with the extra money. Also I like the fact I modify the weight of the riser without adding a stabilizer.

But to be honest, I still think I will probably still go out with my Ghost this season anyway. May take too long to get used to a different weapon this year.