Thread: How long do "Doe in Estrus" etc. urine lures stay good for?

How long do "Doe in Estrus" etc. urine lures stay good for?

I have a few bottles of the commercial urine curiosity scents and lures that I bought last year and am wondering how long they stay 'fresh' for. I assume they are bottled with some kind of preservative, but what is the shelf life of these things before they are ineffective, or worse, repellant to deer? Thanks.

about 1 hour

The scent of a doe in heat does not last but a few hours..nothing you buy in a bottle is going to remotely smell like a doe in heat...sorry guys but it is a fact...big industry and lots of money...stuff works as good as scent lock suits... you can get the same results by putting out vanilla flavoring from the supper market...the cheap stuff..REALLY.
    2012 Insanity 60#
    2013 Limbsaver Proton
    Combat Search & Rescue Pilot USAF
    Aerovane II and III
    Black Eagle Carnivores

I get rid of mine at the end of every year- I dont know if this is the right thing to do but it cant hurt. BUT Who's to say the stuff you buy this year hasn't sat in a store room of you sporting good store,left over from last year.
    TRICKS ROCK

i buy vanilla extract from the grocery store and use it for the early season then towards the end of october i squirt sum tinks gel around

They are not any good.

I have had mainly mixed results with deer scents. I don't use them any longer, even though I killed a 4 1/2 yr old genetically challenged buck(in the horn dept). He had his nose on the scent canister when I shot him. He was coming through the area regardless of the scent being there, but it was cool to see.
    Where did ya get that buck?!?!...Right behind the shoulder! NO, I mean WHERE?!?!?

"There's no better sound than a perfectly good arrow smacking into an unsuspecting whitetail"

well i know for sure it doesnt last longer then a year ive done my own experiment to see if leftovers from previous year would still work and it failed in every way , my guess is the store bought stuff is good for aprox 1 month after you open it

Thanks, folks. I'm about to head out to my tree stand and will be taking along some vanilla extract this time!

Yeah and with the extract, theres a pretty good alcohol content to warm you in the stand!!!

dont overdo it with the vanilla thou its pretty potent just sprinkle a little on the bottom of your hoofs as you walk in or use a "dragline" , their curious to see what that smell is for sum reason its our little early season secrete