Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persimmon Trees!

Persimmon Trees!

I already had a stand location picked out for Saturday morning, but after finding a persimmom tree that was nearly knocked over by deer, I guess I will be moving my stand! I didnt realize how much Florida deer loved these things! I moved the trail camera facing the tree, and I bet it will be full of pictures!

My favorite setup is on oaks but perssimons is a close second.

perssimons trees? What do they look like I am not sure I have ever seen one. Do they grow in Michigan or only in the warm south?

One of deers favorites. They start falling here after a frost.

Just my stand for opener on a crab apple tree that is swamped with activity! Saw 2 shooter bucks crossing the log road in from me at 1:00pm and decided to investigate and wholo! The pot at the end of the rainbow!!!
    The ground under the tree is tore up and stinks too (if you know what I mean) LOL...........Hung a millinium today 22 yards from the tree.
    I am a whiteoak hunter myself but when there is fruit around, I'm there!!!
    Randy Smith
    South Delta Hunting Services

Smokin X Bow Strings Hunting Staff, Firenock LLC Pro Staff
    Strykezone 350, Hawke XB scope, Viper X string, GT Lazer II's, Firenocks, 100 gr Spitfires, DB blind, Swarovski EL Range

I have big heads of perssimmons on my lease, they are nearly all but gone already. I usually hunt a set on a fence row that runs through one of the big heads , there been alot of hogs traveling it but no deer & the fruit it almost gone.

If you got them hunt them deer llllove them, but not till they drop otherwise they are very bitter.

i love hunting around them,got a place that noone goes to thats full of trees its a finger off of the lake narows down to a swampy area on public hunting land could not believe all the trees there. other places i hunt usuall have one tree or a few mixed in with oaks thats some good hunting to.

Quote Originally Posted by themoneyshot$ View Post
    perssimons trees? What do they look like I am not sure I have ever seen one. Do they grow in Michigan or only in the warm south?
    I only know them to grow in the "Warm South"

I couldn't find a place to hunt til today!! Found TWO persimmon trees and they are hanging FULL!! looks like the deer have been mowing down the field to get to it...AND a rub line runs ten yards from it to boot!! so i'm pretty stoaked about saturday to say the least!!
    2011 Destroyer 340 black ops_QAD Ultra rest LD_Viper Pro 2000_A/C/C pro hunter 340s(435gr. @ 285fps)_NAP Hellrazor_Xtreme Stabilization!!
    Swithcback XT_27.5"_QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro_Sword Twilight Hunter_FMJ 340s(470gr. @ 250fps)_NAP Hellrazor_Xtreme Stabilization!!

Can you send me a couple? I send you very nice thorny locus

Quote Originally Posted by cabotvt View Post
    can you send me a couple? I send you very nice thorny locus
    lame!

My stands on our lease for archery are always on the persimmons. Hunt them till they are gone. Every last one. When you here the thump of a persimmon, within minutes a deer usaulyl comes down the trail. Make sure you mark the fruit bearing trees becuase the males dont produce and there is no need sitting there. Put a few spikes under them in the spring and get ready for lots of fruit.
    Bear Truth 30" 75#, Muzzy 100 grain 3 Blade, Gold Tip 7595 with Gator Wraps and Orange and Blue Blazers

If your not a Gator, You are Gator Bait...

This is a persimmon tree!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzle View Post
    My stands on our lease for archery are always on the persimmons. Hunt them till they are gone. Every last one. When you here the thump of a persimmon, within minutes a deer usaulyl comes down the trail. Make sure you mark the fruit bearing trees becuase the males dont produce and there is no need sitting there. Put a few spikes under them in the spring and get ready for lots of fruit.
    Why spikes?

We have 'em here in MO. They started dropping about 2 weeks ago with our cooler weather. I have a 55' tall tree in my backyard. Unfortunately, it's not in the woods.

They need two for cross pollination. I'm going to play Johnny Persimmonseed in the spring. I'll have four-one gallon bags that I'm going to plant on some remote, but yet public land in the spring.

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in KC View Post
    We have 'em here in MO. They started dropping about 2 weeks ago with our cooler weather. I have a 55' tall tree in my backyard. Unfortunately, it's not in the woods.

They need two for cross pollination. I'm going to play Johnny Persimmonseed in the spring. I'll have four-one gallon bags that I'm going to plant on some remote, but yet public land in the spring.

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

There must be at least 2 trees because these trees usually have either male or female flowers. That is why some trees have fruit and some don't, but like Steve said, you must have both.

Quote Originally Posted by UpClose&Outdoor View Post
    Why spikes?
    Fertilizer, make them produce higher yeild.( more fruit = more deer )

I've got hundreds of persimmon trees on my hunting lease here in N.E. Alabama, and there falling fast to the ground. Problem is, they will probably be all gone before our season opens.

The two i found are hanging full but they're not dropping a lot...idk why...i wish it would hurry up and frost so we can get them falling like rain!!
    2011 Destroyer 340 black ops_QAD Ultra rest LD_Viper Pro 2000_A/C/C pro hunter 340s(435gr. @ 285fps)_NAP Hellrazor_Xtreme Stabilization!!
    Swithcback XT_27.5"_QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro_Sword Twilight Hunter_FMJ 340s(470gr. @ 250fps)_NAP Hellrazor_Xtreme Stabilization!!

SHHHHH!!! Don't tell everybody.....As you can tell from my avatar pic, I too am a big fan of persimmon trees. I know where a few of them are on gamelands and they are hanging fruits now in NC. They get gone just as soon as they drop(from the scat I've seen Bears love'em too). Almost just as good as apples.

my favorite

opening days persimmons are my favorite spots,and good snacks for me.
    reezen 7.0 67#@30.5 409gr--304fps
    340 65#@31' 409gr--311fps

Quote Originally Posted by fieldtip View Post
    SHHHHH!!! Don't tell everybody.....As you can tell from my avatar pic, I too am a big fan of persimmon trees. I know where a few of them are on gamelands and they are hanging fruits now in NC. They get gone just as soon as they drop(from the scat I've seen Bears love'em too). Almost just as good as apples.
    Yep, I saw your 'bark'.

Ever see a persimmon tree die? All those cubes of bark just literally fall off into a pile of bark cubes. They make AWESOME kindling for a fire. I just raked them up and toss a couple of handfuls over burning twigs to get a good fire going.

will deer eat persimmons before they are ripe? our trees are dropping fruits and there not ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by avincent View Post
    will deer eat persimmons before they are ripe? our trees are dropping fruits and there not ripe.

Pull one off a tree and see how you like it.

my dad go me on that one when i was 7yrs old they will make you pucker up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast