a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: High Pressure vs Low Pressure

High Pressure vs Low Pressure

I hear a lot of people talk about hunting when high pressure systems move in. I don't really know what that means as far as what that translates to concerning the weather. Can someone explain for me the difference between high and low pressure systems and the advantages/disadvantages concerning these. I want every advantage I can get in the deer woods and if this is one, I surely want to use it. Thanks.

Take a look at low pressure and high pressure gradients and you'll understand this a little easier.

Low pressure systems typically bring with it a change in weather. Look at being in the stand right before the system comes in. Deer activity will increase in a narrow window just prior to a storm (with a strong low pressure system). It also does occur on the backside, but not with as much intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by phade View Post
    Take a look at low pressure and high pressure gradients and you'll understand this a little easier.

Low pressure systems typically bring with it a change in weather. Look at being in the stand right before the system comes in. Deer activity will increase in a narrow window just prior to a storm (with a strong low pressure system). It also does occur on the backside, but not with as much intensity.
    I agree but would add that if it is a pretty good storm and last a while they often pop out after it in a big way.

High pressure is clear sunny weather .... Randy
    They were the Good Old Days because we were young then! Either that or the world just keeps getting worse !

The sad thing about life is that no matter what I do I can't get out of it Alive !!

My Grandpa used to tell me to look at the cows in the pasture before I went hunting or fishing. If the cows were all laying down, stay home. If they were up and feeding, go. I`m sure this had to do with the pressure. I just didn`t know enough then to check and see what the pressure was when they were up and feeding.

High pressure generally fewer clouds, breezy, good visibility, cooler, scattered precip. Low pressure usually lighter winds unless storm system, lower ceilings, warmer steady precip. I have had better luck hunting during high pressure. With that said, just prior to a big low I have had good luck.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

The Drurys always talk about HI PRESSURE...they are always saying...we finally got a high pressure system and the deer were moving...

Drury's

Quote Originally Posted by erictski View Post
    The Drurys always talk about HI PRESSURE...they are always saying...we finally got a high pressure system and the deer were moving...
    This is what sparked my question. Great responses guys. Thanks for the info.

I was told that too but had forgotten it over the years. Brings back memories of deer camp before I was old enough to even hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by RMac View Post
    My Grandpa used to tell me to look at the cows in the pasture before I went hunting or fishing. If the cows were all laying down, stay home. If they were up and feeding, go. I`m sure this had to do with the pressure. I just didn`t know enough then to check and see what the pressure was when they were up and feeding.

High Pressure moving into NE Wisconsin on Tuesday evening into wednesday...low pressure moving out...hopefully Ill have good luck tues or wednesday night...

Going out on Doe Detail to try and harvest a doe for some burger...unless mr nicey nice steps out of course...

barametric pressure. i find that the deer move better when the pressure is rising.