Archery Talk Forum banner

I dream of moosie

2K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  Twisted Canuck 
#1 ·
I'll probably never hunt there, but still, one can dream...

#4 ·
He allegedly shot the bull at a distance of 8 feet... if that isn't close enough, I don't know what is:D:wink:

#5 ·
I have those "Jim Shockey" videos in the Yukon and the bulls are just nuts! At in one of the videos there is a BIG bull outside Jims little shack its like 7 in the morning and jim is drinking his coffee and he goes outside and grabs a paddle and start to smash it all over and stuff making moosie noises and the moose starts to get pissed and responds and start smashing branches also with his humongous rack!! He comes within id say 1 or 1.5 meters from Jim ... Doesn't move!!! Wicked video.... He doesn't even know what humans look like or even seen cars!! But those hunts are a little lame... Sort of harvesting the bull that is so stupid... In all the videos they call bulls down from all over and just shoot them with black powder guns! Or bows ... No challenge!

They don't even get spooked when your in front of them... They are the biggest thing in the wild.... and are scared of no one

#7 ·
True, but you can see that RĂ©al's reaction is quite genuine after the shot... Buck fever must be pretty hard to control under those conditions.

On top of that people pay like 20-30k for those moose hunts... Nuts
Agreed, I've got more important things to finance. But I'll still be hunting moose in Area 7 north this Saturday:D:archery:

#8 ·
yaya im not saying it isnt real .... Just that those "Wild" hunts are not like quebec or local hunts ... they are "Wild" :) well im sure the hunt here in quebec are amayzing but they moose are not as BIG as those from Yukon cause we killed the big ones off already they are rare most of the time you see guys with small racks ... or females!!

#9 ·
There are big ones left ;) like whitetail, they don't grow big by being dumb... but even one like these two I saw last year would do nicely in the freezer :drool: Last day of the season, around 80 metres for close to an hour at the end of the day...:frusty:

#11 ·
Shooting at over 80 metres with a bow? Too risky for me. Had to let them grow another year...

#13 ·
Finally made contact yesterday!:whoo:

One heck of a tracking job, with my brother, giving the "coup de grâce" at the end of the tracking, and then a good deal of work. 460 pounds field dressed, now in the cooling room of my dad's slaughterhouse:drool:

#15 ·
Thanks J:cheers:

#19 ·
The old clunker bow has claimed six moose and four whitetail:brick: and you?:chortle:

#20 ·
A fine moose and a great 'double bank off the trees and through the jugular to hang by the fletching' shot.

Ethical hunters everywhere proscribe this shot except by the most seasoned experts, like Pierre.....:wink:

I'll throw in a little moosie I helped take yesterday morning too...seems like a good thread for it, though in fairness it wasn't taken with a bow. Hey, its getting late, and we need to get some meat in the freezer for the kids, so I dusted off my .308 for the first time in five years. It still hits where I point, so that is nice....

Anyway, was out with my friends Al and his son Adam...I was hoping for my elk to walk out broadside :rolleyes: and Adam was wanting to fill his moose tag...he wasn't feeling too well (flu) so we were trolling the lease roads a bit, had seen one moose cow, and then later came around the bend and lo! there was this moose gent with his lady. We stopped, shut down, and Al and son went stalking up the left ditch, I took the right. Al was calling, the bull starting coming in but was suspicious. There was a small rise between us, so we could see his body but not legs, he couldn't see us I'm thinking. Anyway, he decided to follow his lady off into the woods, heading to our right. Adam gave him a nice shot with his .30-06 right in the boilerworks from about 175 yrds, and a split second later Al and I decided we weren't up for hauling this guy very far out of the woods, so he got a .308 and a .270 to seal the deal...not that he probably needed it.

He managed to get 20 yrds into the trees (which was amazing when we opened him up and saw where we'd all hit him, all good vital shots)...he was standing there shaking when we pulled up, we stepped out of the truck ready to track, and Adam says Stop!....he took him once more cleanly and that was it....And Then The Work Started :tongue:.

We dressed him, and loaded him in halves....even at that, it was a major grunt for the three of us to load him in the truck. Estimate 350 lbs each end, with the head and legs off.....oooph!

Anyway, Al was sure proud of his son's first bull. Al's sons both have bigger bulls then their dad now!:eek::nyah: This guy was 48 1/8" wide, 10 x 12...

A good time, almost too easy but no complaints, and we're all going to enjoy some moose this year. I'll be saving some for when Pierre comes out to visit this next summer, I hear he makes a great fondue....I'll have to buy the gear I guess!

#22 ·
:zip: Double bank shots happen of their own volition, not because people aim willingly at the windpipes:nono::chortle:

Congrats to Adam and his dad. Even though Al has smaller bulls than both his sons, I'd wager he's mighty pleased, and proud:cheers:

hmmmm, don't know why my pics didn't upload...try again. I'm still the handsome bugger on the left!:wink:
Funny there's a handsome bugger on the left of my pic too.... think they're related? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..........

As for the fondue, it's so easy to make, that even SpOt could do it...:bolt:

#26 ·
Hopefully she hasn't gotten her hands on one of those yet...

#31 ·
So, I went and had pictures blown up and printed of the moose, to give to Adam and his dad....went to Costco, as they do a good job and its cheap :wink:. The lady pulls out the pictures, which turned out great, I look at it and say, 'Nice!'....and she gets this attitude mouth going and says I think its CRUEL to shoot Animals....at which point I ask her if she eats meat. She doesn't. Then she says I think only cops should have guns! at which point I realized I was dealing with really disturbed, irrational and potentially stupid person....So all I said was, "Its only natural for the top of the food chain to enjoy eating what it kills humanely...." and then I gave her a big grin and walked out.:tongue:

I love the freedom we have to hunt in Canada, and to own firearms. And if you can annoy a hand-wringer in the process, even better!:wink:

#32 ·
Good for you Twisted!!!! Those will make awesome memories. I'm getting my share of meat this weekend, including homemade sausge, but not before I've contributed some input to tomorrow evening's classes.

#33 ·
SpOt, I have an announcement to make.

I haven't tried it yet, but that chipotle-and-herbs butter flank steak sounds

REALLY NUMMY!!!!!!

Mark the date on the calendar:wink: Nuff sed.

#34 ·
Hey ... I didn't create it ... I only found the recipe ... :embara:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.