Thread: G5 Striker vs. Montec

G5 Striker vs. Montec

Is there a difference in flight between the 2. Also, do the G5 Montec practice heads fly the same as the Strikers and Montecs? I like the looks of both heads but like the ability to replace the blades with the Strikers. If the Montecs practice heads fly the same as the Strikers I would buy some.

I have seen them fly the same, and I have seen them fly a little different. I would say, worst case scenario, they will be pretty close.

the montecs out of every bow i have ever shot them through shoot low, the strikers always shoot spot on, I like the durability of the montecs but the strikers are very durable as well, i personally shoot only strikers and striker magnums!
    Hoyt Carbon Element
    G5 Optix
    Trophy Taker FC
    Gold Tip Velocity arrows
    G5 t3 broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by BowRod View Post
    Is there a difference in flight between the 2. Also, do the G5 Montec practice heads fly the same as the Strikers and Montecs? I like the looks of both heads but like the ability to replace the blades with the Strikers. If the Montecs practice heads fly the same as the Strikers I would buy some.

Here is what I have found. The G5 Montec and Striker needed to be tuned differently in both of my hunintg bows.

The Montec Practice heads flew about the same as my Montecs, but I was having difficulty getting all of my Montecs to shoot consistently past 40 yards (this is a tuning issue that I discovered when I missed a 6x6 elk at 60 yards. I missed about 8" left in front of the shoulder. When I got back to camp, I shot the arrow and it was 8" left every time. Two of my other arrows were dead on and the others were about 4-6" left (no it was not my grip, pulling the shot etc.). These were easily reproduced results. The next day I took one of the arrows that was shooting straight and drilled a grouse at 40 yards.
    '08 Hoyt Seven37 #64 @ 31.5" GT Ultralite Pro X-Cutter(368gr @ 280 fps)/SHOOTING FOAM
    '08 PSE Dream Season #68 @ 30.5" Easton FMJ (508gr @ 287 fps= 92 ft.lbs. of KE)/HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK
    '08 Hoyt Ultra Elite/Inferno Red/Sure-Loc/Posten/SPOTS

I've shot both and they fly the same. I went with the Strikers only because they were quieter in flight. The Montecs were kinda noise.

I shot both, and like the striker,,,fly's better, don't have to sharpen it...scary sharp...

"Scary sharp" is an understatement.. Strikers are the only broadhead that "scares" me when handling the blades... the blades are so sharp, I could cut my finger not know about it and bleed to death wait a minute... I'm getting a little light headed... oh I'm ok... just had another scary thought go with the strikers you wont regret it!! Just be careful!!

Quote Originally Posted by striker34 View Post
    I shot both, and like the striker,,,fly's better, don't have to sharpen it...scary sharp...

Quote Originally Posted by adventuregeorge View Post
    "Scary sharp" is an understatement.. Strikers are the only broadhead that "scares" me when handling the blades... the blades are so sharp, I could cut my finger not know about it and bleed to death wait a minute... I'm getting a little light headed... oh I'm ok... just had another scary thought go with the strikers you wont regret it!! Just be careful!!
    near about sharp enough to shave with while there still in the package!!!!

I bought the montechs this year and love the way they shoot. As for as the sharpness that depends on how sharp you want to go. I have just sharpened mine and they are scary sharp, if you do not believe me I can show you my left arm where I test them. From my wrist to half way to my elbow there is no hair.

Love the Strikers...they are without a doubt my favorite broadhead.
    USMC Infantry, 3 Tours to Iraq.
    Athens Accomplice 32 Black/Camo, Easton Carbon Nemesis, NAP Apache Rest, Trophy Ridge Single Pin Sight, Slick Trick Viper Tricks.

Just depends do you want a one piece broadhead or not ? No big deal
    they both get the job done !

Quote Originally Posted by adventuregeorge View Post
    You got that right. These thing are very sharp, fly straight and quiet. My favorite broadhead. I shot the montecs for a few days and took them back. Not as sharp as strikers and they made a lot of noise. Not to mention they shot low.

I prefer the Strikers. Scary sharp right out of the box and with the ability to replace the blades, works for me.

Strikers for life! Here is a Eland I shot on Friday morning, you can see the tell tail triangle hole that a striker makes. If it looks like there is no blood its because I shot the Eland on the shoulder and there is a lot of meat so the hole tends to close up. The Eland was shot through the heart all the bleeding was internal and the Eland did not run further than 40 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heads

I shoot bow heads and they fly the same out of my rig. Also leave a nice blood trail as well. Montecs are not sharp as the stryker's though.
    Monster 7.0, 72lbs, 27in Draw, RED SMOKE, Black & Red String & Cables, Mayhem Hunter 350s, Sure-Loc Lethal Weapon, QAD HD Rest, Rage 2 Blade, 8 inch B-Stinger 8oz Weight, Carter Simple 1 Release

Strikes are ver sharp. They fly pretty good with Blazers but I've seen a few other heads fly better. Normally with in an inch of where you aim but they do not have the classic spin in flight I like. Shooting a 2" spot ay 20 yards is not a problem. I just want my broadheads to do that a 40...just in case.

Never shot the Montecs but I have shot the Striker Mags 125's. Out of a well tuned bow/arrow they hit right with my field points. Pretty impressive for a bh that has a 1 1/2" cut. I shot them into my target several times and the blades were still sharper than alot of bh new and they were used when I got them. Go figure.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

Practice

Thanks for the replies everyone! Has anyone tried the Montec Pre-season to see how they shoot compared to the Strikers? You see where I'm going with this...I'm thinking of getting the pre-season Montect to practice with and saving the Stikers for hunting only. If the pre-season heads don't fly the same, I'll not waste $$ on them and just buy another pack of Strikers.