Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: draw board. how to?

great question/post

marking it so i can find it again- thanks

Just subscribing

Cheers

glad to see it still going

Thanks for all the replys. I will have to post pics of my draw board. I built it from the posts here. Good to see there are many others looking for the same thing. Thanks and keep it going.

Great thread! Tagged for later.

Good info

So where are you guy's getting your scales from? also digital or ? I have been looking around for a scale..
    Custom Strings
    2012 Hoyt Vector 32, 2013 Elite Answer, 2007 Bowtech Allegiance
    Black Eagle Arrows Field Staff & T.R.U. Ball release Field Staff

I'm also looking for a draw weight scale.....

$20.00 hand-held bow scale

Check out the Balanzza Digital Luggage scale. You can get them at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are $20.00 and work good for checking peak weight and even holding weight. http://www.balanzza.com

FYI: The worm gear "precise positioning" winch is the way to go when making a draw board or shooting machine. The worm gear style of winch allows you to stop an any point in the draw cycle, whereas a ratcheting type "boat" winch must stop and lock in a given ratchet. At full draw this may have to stop short or even too far into the back wall to lock into place. This will not simulate what you do when you draw the bow back, and will not make an accurate draw board or shooting machine for measuring and tuning if it does not come to full draw exactly at the same point as the archer does.

On another note: If you make your draw board out of structurally sound tubing and portable (with 3 legs) you can use it as a shooting machine to do long range arrow tuning. Check out my simple design that I made a few weeks ago for less than $100.00, including gas. I was shooting at 70 yards with it last week as a trial run, and love it! You sight to your target and fire the release just as if you were holding it yourself. I found that it is just as accurate as a manufactured machine, so long as you can release clean and can see what your shooting at!
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1162131

N&B, on your design, any reason a guy couldn't put a release on the end of the rope instead of a hook and use it as a "hooter shooter"? Seems like it would work.

Draw board

You need to use the worm gear or a liner type to make it easyer to use as you can stop and start with out changing weight reading, as with a boat winch and the retchet when it clicks or you bach up it changes the scale reading and if using a digital scale it really mess your reading up. I started with a boat winch back in about 1987 and have done hundreds of bows and the winch has never got a way, but save your selfs some time and money and start with a worm winch and save the head aches.

Here is a couple pics of mine it can be used horizontal or vertical, the post you see by the winch is for the leggs so you can turn it rh.vertical or lh or lay it horizontal and these changes can be made in minutes and also makes it easier to store or travel with. Back in the 80's and 90's I used to sell them but havn't for a while. Hope this helps. P>S> I was going to add more pics but won't let me so if interested PM me with your e-mail and I will send more. Thanks

draw board

got the pics to go.

Quote Originally Posted by skip5515 View Post
    got the pics to go.
    Thanks for posting the picks skip5515
    Custom Strings
    2012 Hoyt Vector 32, 2013 Elite Answer, 2007 Bowtech Allegiance
    Black Eagle Arrows Field Staff & T.R.U. Ball release Field Staff

Just thought I'd share my Draw Board Station. Works great plus its mobile, and my bow vise is attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBuck View Post
    Just thought I'd share my Draw Board Station. Works great plus its mobile, and my bow vise is attached to it.

Where did you get the piece of metal or aluminum in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by duxbux View Post
    Where did you get the piece of metal or aluminum in the pic?
    It is extruded aluminum. I got it from work, it is something the installers use when outfitting police cars with equipment. I'm sure a google search could find suppliers of it. I order it from Havis http://www.havis.com/, but it comes with an equipment console. I'm not sure if just the channel can be ordered.

It is extruded aluminum. I got it from work, it is something the installers use when outfitting police cars with equipment. I'm sure a google search could find suppliers of it. I order it from Havis http://www.havis.com/, but it comes with an equipment console. I'm not sure if just the channel can be ordered.
    That's a really nice draw board, not that the others shown previously aren't but yours looks quite easy to build. Is that the regular ratcheting boat crank or is it the worm gear one? If it's the regular one, do you have any problems wanting to stop in between clicks?

Quote Originally Posted by skip5515 View Post
    You need to use the worm gear or a liner type to make it easyer to use as you can stop and start with out changing weight reading, as with a boat winch and the retchet when it clicks or you bach up it changes the scale reading and if using a digital scale it really mess your reading up. I started with a boat winch back in about 1987 and have done hundreds of bows and the winch has never got a way, but save your selfs some time and money and start with a worm winch and save the head aches.
    Where did you guys get your digital scales?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt123 View Post
    That's a really nice draw board, not that the others shown previously aren't but yours looks quite easy to build. Is that the regular ratcheting boat crank or is it the worm gear one? If it's the regular one, do you have any problems wanting to stop in between clicks?
    One thing about using a boat wench or other ratcheting crank rather than a worm gear is you can put a turnbuckle inline. You crank the wench to where it is just shy if being fully drawn, then you can use a turnbuckle to finish it without over drawing the bow.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt123 View Post
    Where did you guys get your digital scales?
    Here is the link http://www.americanweigh.com/product...roducts_id=485

Mine is a ratcheting type winch. Each click is 1/8th of an inch so I haven't run into any big problems. I just tune a bow either right against the draw stop or just short of it.

Here is the link http://www.americanweigh.com/product...roducts_id=485

Mine is a ratcheting type winch. Each click is 1/8th of an inch so I haven't run into any big problems. I just tune a bow either right against the draw stop or just short of it.
    Is this one of those scales that shuts off after 3 seconds of measuring, or does it stay on till you are done?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner7800 View Post
    Is this one of those scales that shuts off after 3 seconds of measuring, or does it stay on till you are done?
    Its stays on till you shut if off.
    Mathews Z7

Bowhunters4Life

Modify a drawboard for "fingers"

Great designs everyone! It seems that a drawboard really lends itself to a release setup more so than fingers. Any ideas on how to modify the string attachment to mimic someone shooting fingers and a tab? Does it even really matter that much? I can see where this would be far superior to my kids taking pictures of my hunting bow cams at full draw!
    Matthew 17:20

Quote Originally Posted by InKYfromSD View Post
    Great designs everyone! It seems that a drawboard really lends itself to a release setup more so than fingers. Any ideas on how to modify the string attachment to mimic someone shooting fingers and a tab? Does it even really matter that much? I can see where this would be far superior to my kids taking pictures of my hunting bow cams at full draw!
    If you only want it to draw the bow then all you would have to do is trace your hand pattern to a piece of balsa wood. (There isn't too much whittling and carving to mimic a hand and three fingers drawing an arrow, but getting it exactly like yours will take some patience!) Then that pattern can be cast into aluminum pretty easily and a cable attached to it so it will draw on a board. I did an aluminum Hurst Shifter T-handle in Metal's Shop in high school years ago, so if your local high school has a metal shop the instructor may take on that part of the project. Good luck with it, and post your pictures.

i think i saw six feet was needed, but some of you guys look like yours arnt that long. my bow room is not all that big, just wondering how some of you looked like you shortended it up. thansk

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast