Thread: What kind of tree/shrub is this?

What kind of tree/shrub is this?

I got this as a free sapling at one of those Arbor day deals. I think it was supposed to be a dogwood, but it's growing more like a shrub - so I'm not sure.

Attached Images Attached Images

That is the deadly poisonous permanent rash creating Shingles bush.
    best not touch it

Vibernum, maybe or Elderberry. It's an opposite so there's not that many choices.
    Owner/Operator Asian Invasion Adventures llc. Aerial Bowfishing Guide Service

There's only a few trees that have opposite leaves...say "MAD Horse"
    Maples
    Ash
    Dogwood (there is one alternate-leaved dogwood, though)
    Horse chestnut

That's a dogwood of some sort. Cornus stolonifera (red dogwood) grows like a shrub, and gets my vote given the one picture I have to work with.
    equal opportunity Bilateral Pneumothorax giver
    Browning Illusion 70# 29"
    82nd Airborne 70# 29"

Dogwoods have limbtips like upturned fingers, I don't believe that is a dogwood. There's Buckeye, ash, maple, euonymus, vibernum, elderberry and dogwood that I'm familiar with. Just through process of elimination I would still say Vibernum as it seems more of a shrub than a tree.

Dogwood.

Elderberries are waaaaay gone by now.

can't eat 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by archer0545 View Post
    Dogwoods have limbtips like upturned fingers, I don't believe that is a dogwood. There's Buckeye, ash, maple, euonymus, vibernum, elderberry and dogwood that I'm familiar with. Just through process of elimination I would still say Vibernum as it seems more of a shrub than a tree.
    What? Upturned fingers? That's a dogwood. I'm not sure what species they have down in the Show Me State, but it's definitely a dogwood. Besides, if a tree nursery was giving out plants, don't you expect them to know what they're handing out? They said dogwood, I agree.
    82nd Airborne 70# 29"

Good call. Sending you a PM.
    Huh?

Mock orange

i would say its a swamp dogwood considering it is growing like a shrub.

This thing started out as a "tree" with a single trunk - about 3 feet in length if that matters. Also, it's been in the ground for around 5 years now. Could it be a dogwood that suffered some sort of trunk damage early on and just ended up growing more bush like? It's not a big deal, but this is at my father in law's place and he keeps telling me that it's not a dogwood - and I keep telling him that's what it was labeled as at the giveaway.

I bow hunt this farm to make this archery related ;-)

Looks like a red twig dogwood or maybe I should say it looks like the plants at my work that a landscaper told me was red twig dogwood
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

It looks just like the 5 shrubs that are growing across the back of my yard and I have no idea what they are, either.

I'm hoping somebody might might nail yours down so I know what I have.

I see the berries on there. Do they turn purple? Some of mine have turned already and look like miniature muscadine grapes.

It looks like a dogwood to me. Almost all dogwoods can be either a tree or a shrub and looking at the picture with its opposite leaves and fruits that would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by KYchessie View Post
    It looks just like the 5 shrubs that are growing across the back of my yard and I have no idea what they are, either.

I'm hoping somebody might might nail yours down so I know what I have.

I see the berries on there. Do they turn purple? Some of mine have turned already and look like miniature muscadine grapes.
    Not sure if they turn purple.

Quote Originally Posted by atp View Post
    Not sure if they turn purple.
    They won't. It's a dogwood. The only thing close to what this looks like that would turn purple would be an elderberry.

I know elderberries and YOU SIR are no elderberry!

These are the upturned fingers of a Dogwood. What you have could be an ornamental version but the more common Dogwoods look like these pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like an Elderberry
    God - Wife - 3 Kids
    Mathews Chill 70-30 /Spot Hogg Real Deal 5 Pin
    MPSI Bushmaster / NAP Apache 5"
    Carbon Express Maxima 350 / G5 Tekan II
    Go Cardinals!

dogwood. you could cut that thing the size of a basketball and it will grow back.
    2007 Bowtech GuardianDead Nuts Pro3 sight, Trophy Taker Pronghorn, Fuse stabilizer, Bucknasty string, Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket 340's, Slick Trick 100 Magnums-
    2008 Customized 101st Airborne Limb driver rest, Customized Spot Hogg Hogg-It, Bowjax replacement, Fatboy 340
    CVA Optima Pro Muzzle loader- I gun hunt too, get over it.

Yup Dogwood, I have thousands of them on my property. White berries will turn blue, look like elderberries, but taste incredibly bitter. Don't ask me how I know....

Kinda looks like my Serviceberry bushes.

These are the upturned fingers of a Dogwood. What you have could be an ornamental version but the more common Dogwoods look like these pics.
    That's flowering dogwood (Cornus florida). Flowering dogwood only has 4-10 little red berries. The bush in question will have a panicle of dozens of white-turning-blue berries, as observed in the second picture. You consider flowering dogwood more "common" because it grows along edges and has showy white flowers in early spring. The bush in question is probably red-osier dogwood, or an ornamental cultivar.
    82nd Airborne 70# 29"

Dang MAd ya beat me. I had to go home and get my Bible. But I would have to agree. This bush is a Red-osier dogwood. In Fact certain of it. Its the only dog wood with the proper leaf profile veining and branch configuration.

And a hint to all The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees. Eastern Edition for us flat lander. Best money spent. Tis book is bar none the best. real pics of leaves. Bark. Fruit. Fall foliage and flowers. With info all about the tree. Again Best money spent. And fun to take hunting. I have gone through the book and highlighted preferred secondary and starvation food sources for deer. Now when in the field I can look up what I see and if its worth a darn for a food source. There is so much more to a deers diet. Then acorns corn and alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCity Hoosier View Post
    That's flowering dogwood (Cornus florida). Flowering dogwood only has 4-10 little red berries. The bush in question will have a panicle of dozens of white-turning-blue berries, as observed in the second picture. You consider flowering dogwood more "common" because it grows along edges and has showy white flowers in early spring. The bush in question is probably red-osier dogwood, or an ornamental cultivar.
    Yeah, I thought it might be an ornamental. I studied at Hocking College and we covered mostly wild trees n bushes but didn't really stray into the ornamental or less common stuff. Strange that it would have such a different branch pattern. Interesting, thanks for the info!

In the Blueridge on a tractor or in a tree.
    Actually Cornus floridia is a tree/shrub. do the cornus test, tear the leaves in half and if it has fine little hairs or strings in b/w the hairs its for sure a dogwood. Its not automaticly goin to be 30 feet tall. but give it some time and it will grow.