Thread: API Climbing Chains

API Climbing Chains

I have 2 API climbing stand and the chains have gotten rusty and the shrink tubing has come off them. New replacement chain are about $45. I thought I could get some local from a manufacture supply. Wrong $12 per foot for cheap chain. What can use to clean up these chains withou leaving alot of smell?

Just buy new..
    God - Wife - 3 Kids
    Mathews Chill 70-30 /Spot Hogg Real Deal 5 Pin
    MPSI Bushmaster / NAP Apache 5"
    Carbon Express Maxima 350 / NAP Killzone TT
    Go Cardinals!

chain

I use chain made for a hay baler, matches the API chain as far as I can tell.
    I buy it at a local hardware/farm store, not sure of the chain size. I think I pay less than $20.00 for 10 foot?? Will see if I can get you some size/part numbers.
    Once you locate the correct chain go to Harbor Freight and buy the largerst size shrink tube, on rolls, they have and go to town. I would suggest a lite coat of vaseline before installing the shrink tube, helps prolong rusting. The only thing I do is sharpen the end of the spring pin so that if I need to punch a new hole in the field I can get it pushed through easier.

As long as the chains are still in good condition and it is only light surface rust I would just get replacement shrink tubing. YOu can get some on ebay or in the classifieds. I did this with my API bowhunter and it turned out great.

If the chains are in bad condition definately replace em

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by longbeard1 View Post
    what can use to clean up these chains withou leaving alot of smell?
    $45...

Api

I just put new shrink wrap tubing on mine. I bought it off Ebay. I bought the tubing, enough to do two stands, for $16.00 w/free shipping.

Forget the chintzy shrink wrap. Get some regular nylon tubing from home depot. Take the black plastic bushings out of the tubes on the stand and you're good to go. I just noticed that after 3 or 4 seasons I am finally seeing some wear on the tubing. Nothing major, it will probably last a couple more seasons without replacement. As for the chains themselves, if its more than just light surface rust, I'd probably go and replace them for safety's sake.
    Crazy 8's

I got a tip from here years ago that worked great. Instead of shrink tubing on the chain, get some clear hose or tubing from Home Depot or other store. I think it was 5/8" ID and slide it on over the chain- it goes on pretty hard so you might have to heat the hose in hot water. This lasts a lot longer than any shrink tube will and it still grips the tree great. Once you get the hose on the chain you have to either drill or melt holes for adjusting the length. Try it and you'll never use shrink tube again.

I know its redneck but I used some of an old water hose. Guess u could get some black....mine was yellow so I wrapped it in camo tape. Lol

Buy the replacement chain and 60" of 3/4" black heater hose. Slide 30" of hose on each chain in the center which protects the covering that wears the most. I use my climber alot and have had no problems with this set up. The new covering on the chain works great.

Thanks for all the Great ideas. I'll have a tough time deciding which way to go now.

I replaced my worn out shrink tube with clear vinyl tubing last year and it works GREAT! The chain holds its shape much better than it did with the shrink tube which makes climbing easier. It doesn't try to bend and catch on bark.

Make sure to use the 5/8" ID x 3/4" OD tube. The 5/8x7/8 is too thick and it won't fit into the ends of the stand. I tied a long piece of stout wire to one end of the chain, ran the wire through the tubing and tied it off to my work bench. Then I could work the tubing on over the chain. I also had a kettle of very hot water there and kept running the tubing through it to make it easier. You will have to remove the black plastic inserts from the stand where the chain goes in, though. An added benefit was that the stand is quieter when packing and climbing because the vinyl tubing takes up more room inside the stands square tubing and doesn't rattle around at all.

Good luck,
    Crayfish
    2013 Bowtech Experience - 28.5", 60#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's, Trophy Ridge "Revolution"

Quote Originally Posted by StrutStopper View Post
    Forget the chintzy shrink wrap. Get some regular nylon tubing from home depot. Take the black plastic bushings out of the tubes on the stand and you're good to go. I just noticed that after 3 or 4 seasons I am finally seeing some wear on the tubing. Nothing major, it will probably last a couple more seasons without replacement. As for the chains themselves, if its more than just light surface rust, I'd probably go and replace them for safety's sake.
    Duh, I meant vinyl tubing. Don't know where nylon came from
    Crazy 8's

Heater Hose

And I thought I discovered something. I put a length of heater hose over it in the center also and it works awesome, lasts a long time.

these guys are crooks!!!! I order replacement chains and never arrived..

Here is a link to a thread in the diy section on replacing the chains.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ght=api+chains

Yep, the clear tubing is the way to go. I've done both of mine and would do another if I had one
    07 Vectrix, 31" draw, 70 lbs
    410 gn maximas @ 295 fps.

great info for api stands i did my stand its last a long time

Quote Originally Posted by boston shooter View Post
    as long as the chains are still in good condition and it is only light surface rust i would just get replacement shrink tubing. You can get some on ebay or in the classifieds. I did this with my api bowhunter and it turned out great.

If the chains are in bad condition definately replace em

i bought my grand slam supreme in 1998. i'm working on my 3rd set of chains and this set looks like it will last me the rest of my life. they are covered with some heavy duty rubber of some kind instead of that cheap vinyl crap they use to use. what i want to know is has anyone made there chains longer? another 12 to 18 inches would really make my day.