Archery Talk Forum banner

new quota system

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Duckbill 
#1 ·
#2 ·
i like it it seems more fare to people who dont have every one of there friends and family applying for quotas with no intention of hunting and jut transfering them if they get them. also so people who dont bag anythin cant give them to some one else putting even more hunting presure on the area. but i cant complain as i got all the quotas i wanted

#3 ·
I personally like the non-transferable part. It seems as if me and my buddies had more luck this year getting quotas. Even some very hard to get quotas. I also like the fact that you can hunt with a buddy. The old way you would have to try and get the same quotas. That would take some luck.

Only downer I've noticed so far is if you get a guest permit on a wma that only allows one deer per quota, you only get that one deer per two hunters. My buddy got a hard to get wma and I went with him. He was lucky enough to get his 8 point on opening day. It was the only deer taking during a 2 week period. I would like them to up the deer per quota to one deer per hunter. We still tried to bag a hog but no luck.

#5 ·
Wanted to revisit this issue. So far I am in favor for the new system. I have been able to get a couple of hard to get quotas that have eluded me in the past

#6 ·
I think it is a more fair system. It's a shame that you have to change the system to combat dishonesty, but the that's the nature of people I guess. I liked being able to transfer permits.
The shared bag limit is the most horrendous rule ever. It puts ethical, law abiding hunters in a potentially unlawful position. It also discourages a lot of hunters from bringing a guest.
Another flaw is the flexibility of time in returning permits. In order to receive preference points back, you should be reuired to get the permit back in time for the next drawing.

#7 ·
Totally agree! Some of these areas have lot of nice deer and if you do your part scout both you and the guest could have the muey grande buck in your sight at the same time. Been there done that, I didnt luck out but atleast we killed one. I was the guest.

#13 ·
I'm with you on that. Shoot, I have a lease up in Cross City and I prefer to hunt the WMA's closer to me than drive the 2-1/2hrs.

I got skunked on the original draw this year, but I've managed to pick up 2 archery, 1 ML, and a gen gun permit in each of the three "return" drawings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.