Thread: How long will my feeder battery last?

How long will my feeder battery last?

This is my first year to hunt using a corn feeder. I got one from a friend to use, and I just replaced the 6 volt battery. I've got it set to spread morning and evening on medium setting. It's just a standard timer that runs on a AA battery.

My question is how long can I expect the 6 volt battery to last in the cold weather? And, what brand or type 6 volt battery do you guys use or recommend. Do those little solar panel rechargeable things really work? Anyone recommend them?

Thanks for any advice, and good hunting to everyone.

I set mine to feed twice a day on high for about 6 to 8 seconds with moultree rechargable batteries and usually get about 2 weeks out of them. as far as the solar panels I found they work well if your in a cutover with full sun but in the woods with little direct sunlight it doesn't work that well.

I've tried all the batteries and found that the Rayovac will last longest at about a month and a half feeding twice a day on high for 6 seconds. I got tired of replacing batteries and got a solar panel with a rechargable Remington battery. I gets about 3 hours of direct sun a day and every time I fill my feeder the battery indicator shows full charge. That's been since July. Hope that helps.
    Mathews DXT
    Mathews Reezen 6.5
    Rytera Alien X
    GIVE ME AN ARMY OF WEST POINT GRADUATES, AND I'LL WIN A BATTLE. GIVE ME A HANDFUL OF TEXAS AGGIES, AND I'LL WIN A WAR" ~ General George S. Patton

Solar panels are definitely the way to go if enough sun penetrates the canopy of trees to keep it going. Mine are set up where there is very little direct sun but it is enough to keep the battery charged. On a standard 6v battery I averaged a new battery about every 6 weeks.
    2010 Elite Judge, Spot Hogg Hogg-it Sight, QAD Ultra HD rest, Paradigm SOS Stabilizer,
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ '10 cams, Spot Hogg Hogg-it Sight, QAD Ultra HD rest, Posten Woodsman Stabilizer, Paradigm C.T.A.
    2009 Hoyt Alphamax32

I agree that the $5 six volt batteries will last 4 to six weeks feeding twice a day. My pals and I have all gone exclusively to the solar charger type, which with a little direct sunlight, will last at least all season. Several have lasted two or more years. It is best to keep the rechargeables hooked up and running all year, even if there is no corn in the feeders. With inactivity, those type of rechargeable batteries will die a horrible death and cannot be revived.

Solar charger is for sure the way to go. I used to replaced batteries ever 4 weeks. I now have a rechargeable battery hooked up to a small solar panel and I haven't touched it in over two years. Any new feeder I ever put up will have a solar charger on it now.
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT
    - 31"/71# shooting CE Red 350's tipped with Crimson Talons
    - BowJax, TruFire Judge release, NAP sizzor rest, Armortech Pro, peepless, Dead Center stabilizer

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. Appreciate the help!

Rechargeable batteries are the only way to go!!

I have an "On-Time Elite" feeder that uses either 10 AA batteries or 8 C-cells. On either type battery, one set lasts about 10 months, although if you want distance, the C-cells are better. I have another Elite with a 12v gel-cell battery and solar panel--you better have your back turned and be hunkered down when it goes off, 'cause it will sting you good. That battery is at least 6 years old, and still not giving any sign of giving up.

depends on how long it takes the racoons to tear it out of the feeder.

OK, two more questions if you don't mind...

1. If I get a rechargeable 6 volt, do they come already charged up so all I have to do is plug in the solar cell to keep it charged. Or, do I have to get a 6 volt charger, too?

2. What lube is recommended to discourage the racoons from climbing the poles but won't spook the deer with a strange odor?

Thanks again to everyone.

ttt

need a little more help!

where are you guys gettingyour solar panels and how are you rigging the up to charge the battery directly?
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps