Thread: 120lb recurve?

120lb recurve?

An acquaintance of mine claims that he has a recurve bow with a 120lb draw. I know English warbows run that weight, but I have never heard of a recurve that heavy. Is there such a thing that any of you know of? Wouldn't it have to have rather extreme dimensions to keep from breaking? I am wondering if this individual is just blowing smoke or not.

There are a few around. Most people use them for dangerous game like water buffalo.
    Genesis 27:3 - "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison."

I knew a guy that won are state bow hunter jamboree with a 80 lb recurve and with sights. He blew all the compound shooter away back in the 80's

You can make them heavier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by wis_archer View Post
    You can make them heavier than that.
    LOL.......that´s true

pip bickerstaffe makes them up to 200 if you got the money to pay for one. but they are custom order and often they dont last beyond 1000 arrows

Owning it is one thing. Ask him if he can string it, shoot it

you might find this hard to believe but people lie

Thumbs up

I once heard of a guy making a bow out of an old freight truck leaf spring...Don't know if it is a true story, but the guy would have had to be built like King Kong to shoot it. Then there is the story of Odysseus...Greek hero found in the story of the Illiad by Homer. Good story about archery if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Recurve over 120lbs

Most of the bows over 120lbs were used for flight shooting. This was mostly back in the late 50's and early 60's. Harold Groves, who made the Groves Spitfire, had a 140 LB 56" bow that he used for flight distance. He owned the world record back around 1960 with over 1/4 mile in distance. Harry Drake back about the same time made a "foot bow" (dont know the poundage) but he put the riser on his foot and sat down and shot it. I shot the 140lb bow that had the world record around 1960. I was a young buck (24) and I used 3 arm guards stacked in order to shoot it. It had a pendulum on the site window and when the elevation was right, the pendulum would rock slowly, and you let it fly.
    The arrow was a small steel arrow with really small hard plastic vanes. Most bowyers that I know would build about anything you wanted but they would not warranty anything over 80lbs.

Mike Fedora use to shoot some heavyweight monster that was around 100 lbs.
    Yes, I'm a Dinosaur.... Heavy draw weight, and fixed blade broadheads. No one ever complains about over penetration.
    Insanity CPXL 72#
    TradTech Titan II 62", BlackMax longs, 58# @ 29"
    TradTech Titan III 64", BlackMax longs, 42# @ 29"

as stated above , 120# are not uncommon , the english warbows found on the Marie-Rose ship were around 150# , a lot of british archers shooting re-enacments events are shooting well above 120# .
    you can find pics and vids of these archers , some of them are really skinny but are able to draw heavy poundage behind the ears by using proper technic ( some kind of a push-pull ) .
    Howard Hill was using a 140# longbow for hunting and he was not alone .
    some french bowyers builds 100-130# recurve on special request .
    you can order a longbow up to 200# at Howard Hill archery .....nor for me , my limit is around 80# in trad archery depending of the bow
    " Do or don't do , not to try ! " ....Yoda ....

recurve

didnt howard hill shoot a very heavy poundage when he first went to africa

Quote Originally Posted by edthearcher View Post
    didnt howard hill shoot a very heavy poundage when he first went to africa
    If memory works, his flight bow was somewhere around 175

Not sure about Africa...120s maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Xs24-7 View Post
    you might find this hard to believe but people lie
    Holy crap!!! That's the funniest thing I've read all day!!!

So basically it does sound like you can have bows like this custom made, whether or not your buddy has one, who knows.
    2007 Bowtech Equalizer
    QAD Pro LD, VIPER Predator Hunter, B-Stinger, Easton Axis STs, and Slick Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post
    So basically it does sound like you can have bows like this custom made, whether or not your buddy has one, who knows.
    Sure can

Could make it yourself too

I would think that it would be easier to make a laminated one, instead of a backed self bow, but I could be wrong. I would think that any grain run off could be a serious problem at higher poundage but I could be wrong.

This is gonna sound like total BS, so believe me or not, but I swear on my grave it's true........One of my Mom's friend's grandfather was THE Howard Hill who did the shooting in the original Robin Hood films. We went to church with them since I was born, and my Mom has known her for probably 35+ years. I've seen old pictures of him and stuff at their house many times when I was younger.

Paul Schafer used to routinely hunt with a 90# bow. No reason for me to think someone couldn't make one 30#'s heavier.

Paul was always analytical and was constantly checking to make sure his brace height was correct. He was known to (try this at home, sometime, if you think some aren't strong enough to handle these bows.....lol) draw his 90# bow to full draw....THEN hold it out in front of him to eye the arrow (checking BH). Let me know how that goes!

I have a 120# English war bow (custom made) on the way but i have no idea where to get arrows for it lol highest arrows ive been able to find are for an 80# draw anyone know what kind these guys use or do i need to custom make them myself?

a quick look found this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Tradition...-/281025497216

Just look up companies that make custom wood arrows (though they don't have to be wood)...just give them your specs.

http://www.allwoodarrows.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1829
    http://elitearrows.com/arrows/

You could always double wall your own arrows too. It takes some playing with to get spine right but at that weight bow, you shouldn't have much problem
    call Viking archery in Houston...ask for Scott or Kevin, they used to do this for the guys shooting high poundage bows.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

Awsome thanks for the info

English longbows from the Middle Ages roughly had 150# draws. Makes you think.

My shoulder screams in anguish at the thought of pulling that bow!

I have a 80lb bear super magnum recurve. It is about 40-50" when strung, so very small. You don't need extreme dimensions for heavy bows, just the right strong structure. On ebay I know a seller who will make any poundage upto 130lb, both recurves and longbow.