Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BearClaw folding steps (API Skyhook lookalikes)

BearClaw folding steps (API Skyhook lookalikes)

I was looking on ebay today and saw someone selling "BEARCLAW FOLDING TREE STEPS API Skyhook / Sky Hook Type"
    Does anyone know about these steps....who makes them....?? I tried contacting the seller and the address comes back "undeliverable"....
    I have a bunch of these step....they are the best for multiple setups and provide some security etc.....sure would love to get mu hands on another 15-20 original API Skyhooks.

JK

Same here, I'd love to find another 100 or so skyhook bolts. I hang the stands above a few limbs & there's no way to get at them without a ladder or screw-in steps. Great sysyem, never had a stand stolen using that method..too much work for a thief I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipsbay View Post
    I was looking on ebay today and saw someone selling "BEARCLAW FOLDING TREE STEPS API Skyhook / Sky Hook Type"
    Does anyone know about these steps....who makes them....?? I tried contacting the seller and the address comes back "undeliverable"....
    I have a bunch of these step....they are the best for multiple setups and provide some security etc.....sure would love to get mu hands on another 15-20 original API Skyhooks.

JK
    the price is a joke........60 bucks for 4 of them???
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

I agree, the price is super high but they're made by "BearClaw"....not API, anyone know what's up here....who is BearClaw and will these be realese to the public.....?

I agree, the price is super high but they're made by "BearClaw"....not API, anyone know what's up here....who is BearClaw and will these be realese to the public.....?
    i've never heard of them and the simple fact that you could not reach them would be a red flag to me.....
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

Quote Originally Posted by eblues View Post
    Same here, I'd love to find another 100 or so skyhook bolts. I hang the stands above a few limbs & there's no way to get at them without a ladder or screw-in steps. Great sysyem, never had a stand stolen using that method..too much work for a thief I suppose.
    yeah, wow. 100 of these would be $1500. dang gum. thats lease money right there!!!
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

Clearing the air.....

Hey, Afternoon all –

I just wanted to come in and clear up any misunderstandings or misconceptions that a few folks seem to be wondering about…

My name is Monty and I’m “the one” making the new Tree Steps. And I’m not sure why things are starting to get painted with this coat of secrecy or being elusive or “unreachable”…

We’re OUT HERE… pretty easy to find – do a Google Search for Bearclaw Tree Steps… the only one that doesn’t come up is the one where you first saw the ad yesterday…

Let me explain briefly…

Believe me when I tell you - when we first set out to start telling people about these steps, THIS Forum was the FIRST one we came to.

I went to the “everybody knows” bulletin board – eBay. My wife started checking into the forums and such. Before posting any “announcements” to any of the forums, we have spent a LOT of time reading the ground rules for different places – and they ARE all a little different. And it takes time… nothing happens in waves overnight. (And this is NOT a full-time gig – this is after we get home from work).

We want to make sure people know about them, that WANT them. But we want to do it – the right way. We have been very respectful of different boards, and what their policies and wishes are.

That said, here’s the wishes of THIS forum….

Archery Talk Classifieds is a service offered to individual members to buy/sell and trade their new or used archery goods. With that being said, we will not allow members to sell on here and have their item on eBay, craigslist or other similar websites. This creates problems and has an auction effect which we can not allow. If you want to use the Classifieds, keep it off of those sites.
    The eBay thing was already up and running. There’s some really good deals there sometimes, and I occasionally bag a deal or two there.

We refrained from placing anything here, simply because we didn’t want to make anyone mad. I understand that it looks different from your point of view… but try to see it from here.

I can’t put the announcement in here (this thread), because that’s like a hijack or something. I can’t put it in the Classifieds because they’re… well … you know where they are…

So I’m going to attempt to put it in the Manufacturer’s Section… I guess that’s what we are, after all… and I'm just announcing. Hopefully, that will sit alright with the management… if not, I’m sure I’ll know pretty quick.

So… here’s the WELCOME mat… we are definitely available. If you’ve got gripes or questions, SHOOT!

MontyPV@sbcglobal.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey JK!

JK
    Hey JK –

I’m sure sorry to hear that you hit a dead end trying reach me… I can’t imagine how that is… but I surely would like to know what you were using to contact me… we’ve gotten NO questions on eBay…. Wonder if other guys are trying and getting the same “undeliverable” as you… We couldn’t figure out WHY with over 200 views, NO ONE has had a single question… that would sure explain A LOT…

Could you please tell me if that’s what you used? Because we sure need to get to the bottom of it… and if it wasn’t that… if there’s a link out there somewhere, that IS broken, we need to find it and FIX it!

There are no “Red Flags” from my side… and I’m sorry you got that impression.

Ask any questions you need… you’ve got me now.

THANKS for starting this thread… it came up in the Google Bearclaw search results… I may not have seen it otherwise…

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by PVArrowhead View Post
    Hey JK –

I’m sure sorry to hear that you hit a dead end trying reach me… I can’t imagine how that is… but I surely would like to know what you were using to contact me… we’ve gotten NO questions on eBay…. Wonder if other guys are trying and getting the same “undeliverable” as you… We couldn’t figure out WHY with over 200 views, NO ONE has had a single question… that would sure explain A LOT…

Could you please tell me if that’s what you used? Because we sure need to get to the bottom of it… and if it wasn’t that… if there’s a link out there somewhere, that IS broken, we need to find it and FIX it!

There are no “Red Flags” from my side… and I’m sorry you got that impression.

Ask any questions you need… you’ve got me now.

THANKS for starting this thread… it came up in the Google Bearclaw search results… I may not have seen it otherwise…

Monty

Monty,

do you honestly believe that $60 for 4 is reasonable? I would love to have 12 of these but there is no way i'm going to shell out 180 bucks for 12 steps. I don't know your profit margin here and I hate to speculate but at $15 per step/lag, well thats all I'll say. Yeah, I would like some. Yeah, I'm frustrated that I can't afford them. At the same time, they seem severely over priced. I guess I should be glad that someone is making these type of steps again. Maybe you will saturate the market and force another large competitor (API) back into the ball game, ultimately lowering the price. Lets hope.

Best of luck with your new venture.
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

Proudly Made in the U.S.A.

I completely understand the frustration I'm hearing. I felt the same frustration for the last 3 years. That's how my steps came to be. However, the price is based on MY expenses, not ability to pay.

You must remember - MY steps are manufactured in the United States, with material bought in the United States. The only exception to that is the lag bolts, which are the same lag bolts, from the same supplier that API used. I buy these at retail to include with these steps at ZERO mark-up.

I am not making these with a high profit margin to retire off the backs of fellow hunters. I made these because there is A NEED. This is the first and only product I have ever produced, and it's because I thought other hunters would like to have a viable option to hunting down and fighting over older and constantly harder to come by tree steps.

I will state briefly again, that this was a VERY limited production, to find out if indeed there is even any interest. If there isn't, I won't waste my time. And if there is, hopefully the following production runs will become more cost effective, and the prices will adjust with that. But that's all yet to be seen.

As far as saturating the market, that would be a good thing. Larger production runs would essentially lower the overall cost. Competition in any field is healthy. In the future, you may see lower prices from competitors, but remember, you will probably also see the familiar orange sticker "Made in China" on it.

That sticker will NEVER be on my steps.

We used to be the strongest manufacturing base in the world. With the bottom line mentality out there, we can no longer say that. Our economy is a direct result of this.

I am proud to engrave "Made in the USA" on my steps. And they will ALWAYS say that.

Whether I make them for all of us, or for just myself.

Finally, something more expensive than Lone Wolf sticks to get up a tree.

PVArrowhead, do you sell just the lag bolts? If so, how much?

I have to agree with those who think the price is high on these.After thinking about it,we pay $10.00-$12.00 for a magnesium peep the size of a pea with a hole in it and think nothing of it.$35.00-$40.00 for three broadheads that probably wont be any good after one shot.$80.00-$100.00 for a set of custom strings that will be replaced every year and so on.Like everything else,good stuff dont come cheap and these look like good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer 1 View Post
    I have to agree with those who think the price is high on these.After thinking about it,we pay $10.00-$12.00 for a magnesium peep the size of a pea with a hole in it and think nothing of it.$35.00-$40.00 for three broadheads that probably wont be any good after one shot.$80.00-$100.00 for a set of custom strings that will be replaced every year and so on.Like everything else,good stuff dont come cheap and these look like good stuff!
    I'd rather screw in 2 dollar steps than pay that. just not affordable for the average hunter.
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

I'm glad I still have 12 original Skyhook steps left and about 30 lag bolts......I have 11 stands up now and the bottom 5-8 steps are always the Skyhook's......I use the regular screw-ins at the top level for the last 3-5 steps....I'm glad SOMEONE is still making a look-a-like, just in case a step breaks.......
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

Quote Originally Posted by cujrh10 View Post
    I'd rather screw in 2 dollar steps than pay that. just not affordable for the average hunter.
    Its not about the cost of steps, its about the cost of the treestand the thief climbs up your 2 dollar steps to steal.

Huh... hadn't thought of that...

Quote Originally Posted by eblues View Post
    PVArrowhead, do you sell just the lag bolts? If so, how much?
    Hey eblues

Well, I had never thought about that...

I've just bought them for completing my steps...

I can share some with you for 70 apiece plus shipping, which should only be a couple of bucks.

If that's agreeable, PM me and we'll work out the details.

Monty

I run a small machine shop here in New York and I can tell you that the 15 dollars a piece may seem high but I will tell you that if bear claw has the appropriate insurance in there then that inst that bad of a deal.Those lag bolts aren't the same ones that you are going to go down and get at the local tractor supply so they cost a bit more.and even if he has an extrusion(which inst cheep either)he still has machining,packaging,marketing and then the final profit.Keep up the good work and buy American when you can

Not cheap but well worth it in my book. I still have 13 folding Sky Hooks that I bought many moons ago. I was smart enough to stock up on lags at that time and still have some new in the packaging. These steps pay for themselves in keeping my stands from being stolen. It's so nice to just hook the steps on and climb. I remember the days when I screwed steps into trees every day! I've got multiple stands sites where the lags have been in place for years. It makes for real quick and easy climbing. Truthfully for a quality American made product that will last you decades or more I think the price is fair. It's hard to believe that API stopped making these things. I have thought for years it was the best climbing system on the market, and I still do!
    "when the turkeys aint gobblin.......it's tough to make em stop!"

Me Too...

Quote Originally Posted by I like Meat View Post
    I'm glad I still have 12 original Skyhook steps left and about 30 lag bolts......I have 11 stands up now and the bottom 5-8 steps are always the Skyhook's......I use the regular screw-ins at the top level for the last 3-5 steps....I'm glad SOMEONE is still making a look-a-like, just in case a step breaks.......

You know what? I'm glad you do too... If people knew back then, how finite they would become, and how good they were, they probably would've bought more.

Heck, I have a bunch myself - but you always need more... So when I would resort to the on-line swap meet, and see the ongoing dogfights, I figured there HAD to be a better way.

I'm happy for ya. Just remember the name if you run into friends not as fortunate (or forward thinking) as you.

Have a good one.

Monty

I have a lifetime supply of skyhooks and bolts. I found them in a box in a little
    outdoor supply shop sitting under a table several years ago. I bought the whole
    box at a discount, 'cause I knew they were to be no more....
    PVarrowhead, I am glad you are making this version for us fans out here. And yes, your version IS expensive, but not much more than the prices I saw for
    skyhooks as the supply dried up I was tempted to put mine on the market.
    Good Luck with your venture, and bless you for your made in USA stance.
    I spoke with Paul Meeks the year he brought out the chain stands. He brought
    one to a hunt I was on, and he said his stuff would always be American made.
    If he had stayed true to that, who knows??????
    Be safe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archer 1 View Post
    I appreciate your viewpoint, and couldn't agree with you more.

Yes, I AM very proud of these steps. You have no idea how much thought and effort have been put in to this project, and I have finally made them REAL.

And unlike the items you listed, and most of the other archery related products we buy, these steps are a Lifetime purchase. They don't wear out or have any need for maintenance, upkeep or replacement. If you're buying "more" of these, it's because you want more, or you've got a buddy that does.

I can't wait for you to get yours... but keep an eye out for No. 1 Son

Monty

Thumbs up A "Professional Opinion"

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINST View Post
    I run a small machine shop here in New York and I can tell you that the 15 dollars a piece may seem high but I will tell you that if bear claw has the appropriate insurance in there then that inst that bad of a deal.Those lag bolts aren't the same ones that you are going to go down and get at the local tractor supply so they cost a bit more.and even if he has an extrusion(which inst cheep either)he still has machining,packaging,marketing and then the final profit.Keep up the good work and buy American when you can
    I appreciate it. Everybody (well, some) bases "Value" on a personal comfort level and their own brand of priority (what's "necessary" and what's not).

But they don't see what goes in to this type of product.

There's actually a few of us here... I've picked it up in some post replies here and there...

So THANKS -

Monty

RIP BILLY MAYS...........Im not sure if even he could have sold these at 60 bucks.....definitely 19.99 though!
    2009 HOYT ALPHAMAX 32
    I HOOK UP- BECAUSE IM A DADDY

Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for the buck after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You shot a buck. You got a responsibility.' If your buck gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that damn buck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast