Thread: Exercises to increase draw weight?

Exercises to increase draw weight?

I'm wondering what exercises to do to increase draw weight? I have looked in the post above but the links don't work!! I bought a bow but the draw weight is more than I can comfortably shoot over and over. Should you work chest or back or shoulders? Thanks for all comments!

To be honest, the best exercise for drawing a bow is...well...drawing a bow. Just keep shooting bro. You'd be surprised how many muscle heads come into a shop and can't pull back a 70 pound bow, but someone half the size, however, who has been shooting for a year or so can pull it back no problem.

You just need to practice it.

Thanks for the reply and I understand that you will build muscles drawing your bow repeatedly but I'm looking for exercises to help along with that.

no weights push ups and chin ups

if weights available

bench press, bent rows, lat machine, curls, lateral dumbbell raises

pull-ups

Spend $20 for a Bow-Fit and follow the prescribed exercises.

I was going to suggest some thera band which can be purchased at walmart (or any sort of exercise band), but seems like that bow-fit "fits" the bill!

Thanks for the replys. Now all I have to do is get busy and do them routinely.

Pull more weight

I do pushups and just got my RIPshot boy does it target the back muscles.
    Shawn
    Regrouping and starting all over again! Not bad for a ole lady huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    ....chin ups
    ....bent rows, lat machine, lateral dumbbell raises
    I'd add standing rows.

It's all about the back and some shoulders. If your arms get tired, you're drawing wrong.

But pulling the bow is what's going to train your muscles to exert themselves efficiently.

I'd suggest dialing down the weight, if possible, and just shooting a lot with it light. The other exercise will be good, for basic strength, but you want to teach the muscles to make the draw movement efficiently.

the bottom line is build overall balanced strength that can be done well and without a lot of time devoted to it with just a few basic exercises and balanced overall training wil make you less prone to injury

Quote Originally Posted by cornhuskers View Post
    I'm wondering what exercises to do to increase draw weight? I have looked in the post above but the links don't work!! I bought a bow but the draw weight is more than I can comfortably shoot over and over. Should you work chest or back or shoulders? Thanks for all comments!
    There really are quite a few different exercises you can do to increase your draw weight.

IMO...the BEST exercise to increase draw weight is...to draw a bow slightly heavier than the one you are currently and increase the weight as your strength increases.

You can also increase strength by varing the time it takes you to pull the bow by slowing down the draw cycle.

There are other exercises that I recommend that help with scaplula and shoulder stability, which are internal and external rotator cuff movements, pull downs/pull ups, front/side/rear delt movements, push ups and dumbell presses to name a few.

You can also imitate pulling a bow with therabands, sport chords and weighted cable systems.

Another exercise that is beneficial called the chest puller in which you use a theraband, sport chord or springs with handles on both ends held at sternum level with arms outstretched and pulled to where your arms move to the sides of your body. Gary Sentman, who held the world record for quite some time for heaviest trad bow pulled, used this technique to increase his strength.

Keep in mind that you want to create balance, stability, flexibility and strength within your joints and muscles...so you can continue to shoot a bow and arrow for a long time...hopefully injury free.

Ray

13. The RIP Shot can increase your draw weight

There is a 14 year old kid that works at his dads shop here where I live. When he first tried the RIP Shot he could barely pull his 60 lb bow with it because he was not used to using his back muscles but within two weeks of using it everyday he now can pull my 80 lb bow. He also got a robin hood his first couple of day using the RIP Shot. (his first one ever)

What is a Ripshot and where can you get one?
    Rod Halford 1SG U.S. Army (Retired)
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter
    Field Staff U-Slide Bow Holder
    PROLINE BOWSTRINGS Staff Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod26 View Post
    What is a Ripshot and where can you get one?
    http://www.riparchery.com/
    Portage County Outdoors Pro Staff