Thread: Mouth Tab shooting...

Lightbulb Mouth Tab shooting...

I have one arm and shoot with a mouth tab. I have found modest success in AZ and look to improve. I know that Jeff Fabry (Hoyt Pro) and Carroll Walker (National Indoor Champ) shoot this way. I'm wondering if anyone knows either of these shooters and possibly some of the tricks they have learned? Maybe one of you shoos this way and would like to talk shop?

By the way, hope to see many of you in Vegas!
    The Original One-Armed Bandit
    2008 & 2012 US Paralympic Archery Team
    Hoyt Pro Staff, Carter Pro-Staff, Winner's Choice Pro-Staff,
    Doinker Shooting Staff, TRU Ball Axcel Sights Shooting Staff

I have a friend who recently had shoulder surgery, and is planning to shoot an Elk with a "chew strap"(?). He is looking forward to the new challenge!

welcome

Eric, glad to see you made it! hopefully someone can help you out here.
    Team PSE , Johns Customs staff,GoldTip,TrophyBlend scents, PSE MILITIA , Xtreme Stabilization ,CJ Sights/ Stan releases,Norway Industries VP of Heartshot hunters club

chew strap and mouth tab are one in the same. there are various ways of making them and different materials etc. through a couple of years of trial and error i have a pretty good setup now but am always looking to improve. i shot my 5x5 bull this way 2 years ago.
    The Original One-Armed Bandit
    2008 & 2012 US Paralympic Archery Team
    Hoyt Pro Staff, Carter Pro-Staff, Winner's Choice Pro-Staff,
    Doinker Shooting Staff, TRU Ball Axcel Sights Shooting Staff

AZarcherybandt,
    How long have you been shooting a mouth tab? I've been shooting one for 5 years now and have just started using a new adaptive release. Please PM me with any questions. It's great to meet another "taber"
    Later,
    Jaws

mouth tab

AZarcherybandit,
    My setup is very simple. I start out with a piece of nylon strap one inch wide and just a little over three inches in length then fold it in half so it is now 1/2 inch wide. You can sew it with regular thread at this stage to keep it 1/2 inch wide. This way you will have four thicknesses of strap to bite on. Now place it on the string and sew it on the string with serving string. It is very important to sew as close to the string without running the needle through the string. This way the strap is fairly tight and will not have very much slop to it. After I get it attached to the string I sew down one side the full length of the strap, across the end then up the other side back to the string. Then trim the length of the strap you want. Enjoy!
    There is another guy here in MO that uses a dog leash strap. Find the correct width and you will only have two thicknesses to bite on. He also sewed his to a "D" loop.
    You may want to try both methods as to what fits your mouth and feels better.
    I also do not use a peep, the weight of the bow will pull your head straight every time. I just put my pin on the target and let go. Let me know how things go.
    Carroll in MO

AZ,

Jeff Fabry is an archerytalk member. His user name mouthtab send him a PM.

Good Luck,
    JM
    www.prolinearchery.com
    www.archeryny.com
    Hoyt FITA Staff Shooter
    AAE Staff Shooter

I forgot to put this in before. Instead of stiching your tab with regular thread use some fast flite. Also I like to run the fast flite all the way around the string end of the tab because that is the place where the tab wears the most and I like to have a little something extra up there just in case. Just stich it throught the middle of the material and make sure that you dont put it into the bow string. I dont know if you have anything left of your other arm but if you do you can try this new adaptive release I've been shooting. I like it alot better than shooting my tab. It just feels more natural and I gained alot of draw length, which as you know is a problem with shooting a tab. Shooting my tab I could only shoot 25in draw but now I'm shooting 28 1/2in draw.
    Here ia a thread that can show you pics, check it outhttp://216.7.172.165/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=901 68
    http://216.7.172.165/vb/showthread.p...threadid=90168

Just started to say PM Jaws

Knew he could help.