Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horton crappy customer service!

Horton crappy customer service!

On another site a fellow is having trouble with his Horton. The arrow retension spring broke and Horton wants the crossbow sent back and it will take four weeks to fix. This is ridiculous that they can't send him this small part. This guy has been taking his young son out with him and now his season is in jeopardy because of Horton's piss poor customer service. Any thoughts out there? I'm just trying to help this guy out with an idea.

I have never heard of a coustomer waiting even remotly that long for a bow to be returned. This is abussy time of year, but something doesnt sound right to me. Please have this other person contact me (tryinhardarchery@aol.com)and I will see if I cant get things straight for him.
    Ten Point pro staff - GOD'A GRIP pro staff - HHA Sports pro staff - Gold Tip pro staff
    tryin hard outdoors - owner
    Bangs Paradise Valley Hunt Club

I read on another site about this being a liability issue and the retension spring is attached to the trigger assembly and is one unit. That may be but when I had an issue with my Parker they sent me the whole trigger assembly which I swapped out. They held my cc # until they received defective one back. I know different company but it seems reasonable Horton could do the same.

It is my understanding that Horton is having issues on several levels. Bows and parts are becoming scarce across the board. This is second hand from a couple bow shop owner friends.

As standard policy, Horton does not ship parts or product to private individuals. You must go through a dealer, or send it back to the factory. I have been with the company for a few years now, and never heard of it ever being more than a week before the bow was returned. I have sent a e-mail to the gentleman witht he bow, and hope to get him back out in the woods soon.
    Ten Point pro staff - GOD'A GRIP pro staff - HHA Sports pro staff - Gold Tip pro staff
    tryin hard outdoors - owner
    Bangs Paradise Valley Hunt Club

Discussions based on second hand information is gossip. Lots of archery companies won't send certain parts to customers and require those parts to be done at the factory or a certified service center.

I had a bad mim part on a Kimber 1911 and they had to have the whole pistol back before they would fix it.

I am shocked that Parker or anyone would send a trigger to be replaced by a customer. That action now quantified and acknowledged on a message board WILL come back to haunt them.

The triggers are one entire part in the parkers. It is two screws that requires no disassembly of the trigger assembly. they do NOT do that at random. Generaly for any trigger related issue they send you to an authorized dealer or have you send the bow to them. I personaly have only had issues with two triggers (safetys hung up) and I was able to swap just the assemblies rather than send the whole bow back, but I am an authorized dealer.

Wyvern

Yep, with the Parker it a complete trigger assembly. A couple screws and swap out the whole assembly. Not complicated. It is no more difficult than attaching the the rail assembly to the stock. On the Tornado you have the trigger assembly, the scope base, arrow retention spring and the linkage for the bullpup trigger system all one unit. Quite easy. If your not near a dealer this gets you back in the woods or just practicing just that much quicker and I tip my hat to Parker. I am absolutely impressed with the company.

9. Horton

Discussions based on second hand information is gossip.
    As for me, I have nothing but the best customer service from Horton for the last 13 years,,

I love my new Horton Vision 175.....very quiet..well balanced, compact, awesome trigger...
    anyone who has not shot a new Horton Vision 175 needs to try one out...

I now own 4 Horton Vision 175, bought one each for my entire hunting family with zero problems..

We ARE a dealer and a few months ago I had a customer with the same problem - broken retention spring. I called up the Canadian Horton warranty repair company and was told the same thing - the bow had to be sent to them. I managed to call around and got someone at the company to send me one anyways, but something that simple shouldn't need to have the bow sent back.

On the regular Hortons that clip is part of the safety mechanism, but it's not a huge job. 2 screws to take off the "bridge" and one to replace the spring. Nothing complicated to disassemble.

Excalibur outsells Horton in our store something like 30 to 1.

I had limb troubles with a Excalibur Exomag and a Horton Hunter Express Sl at the same time this year.

Called Excalibur; phone rang 4 times; guy answered; had new limbs in 3 days.

Called Horton and was told to take the bow to a dealer and it could be fixed in a few days. Drove 1.5 hours to a dealer. Dealer calls next day and says Horton wants the bow sent to them. Called Horton again, on hold for 2 hours 47 minutes and never got to talk to anyone.. Tried again next day, on hold 25 minutes and learned the first info was wrong and Horton did want the bow sent to them. Now I get to drive back to the dealer, send in the bow and wait who knows how long to get it back.

Incidentally, I bought a new Equinox and will sell the Horton once it's fixed.

first of all i would like to say i'm not bashing here but Hortons arent my favorite, it was a really good company until bad luck from alot of warranty issues almost sent them packing, i will say that all companies that are built on consumer items sold to the public are subject to bad press if the company isnt "johnny on the spot" with customer service, come on guys get with it, if the gentelmen from over seas isnt getting the job done then have someone from the u.s. build your parts........

agree about customer service

hi,

I purchased my first horton product and probabaly my last

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get customer service to answer
    a couple of questions on my vision 175

I am new to bows and crossbow both.

I have emailed 5 times and left voice mails 5 or 6 times
    over a two week period and have not recieved a response to
    either email or voice mail.

After spending as much as the vision cost I would assume I could get some
    answers to questions... but not from horton customer service

So this is probabaly the last horton product i will ever buy

so if you need help you might think twice about horton customer service

wolf

What was your question?

Maybe someone here can answer it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

hard case

one is is there a hard case to fit the vision and no one has been
    able to answer it here

horton?? tried... but I am not sure he knows the shape of the vision

i did not know it would be this hard to find a hard case

Come on guys

Give Horton a chance to get their feet on the ground with their new ownership. Any time a company changes ownership, there will be a period of time required for things to settle. I'd bet the new owner of Horton knows how sensitive tirgger issues are and how much trouble a company can get into with trigger mishaps.
    MOON

Super "Small" Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

"is there a hard case to fit the vision "

There isnt even a hard case to fit most of the newer crossbows with the narrow limbs out there and some are going on their second year in production let alone the demand for one for recurve crossbows. It took me 6 months just to get a soft case to fit the SF into production, I would be VERY surprized if there was any case out there that would fit the Vision. The amount of money it costs to make a plastic mold and produce it is going to take a LOT of visions out on the market before anyone will step up and make a case that only fits that bow, so I would not hold my breath...

Wyvern

No hard case for the Vision bow. I suppose that they will make a soft case for it.

I do know one thing. The tooling for a big plastic case is EXPENSIVE like over $100k! Kind of hard to justify that cost when only a few thousand bows of a specific shape have been sold.

That is why everyone (Plano etc) tries to make a one size fits all case and usually the fit is crappy because you can't be all things to all people.

thanks for the note

Hi,

I guess i was lied to. The guy i bought the bow from said that the vision
    was in the top 5 in the nation and that I could get a hard case for it
    anywhere.

I wanted a parker, but he said I would have nothing but trouble with a parker

Now less the 2 weeks into my first piece of archery equipment ever I find
    that with less the 10 shots on the bow that the cable(string) appears ready
    to break and that there is no case what so ever available for the vision.

I guess he saw me coming and I should have gone with the parker.

live and learn ... at least I know a little about rifles.

thanks
    wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_tracker View Post
    Hi,

I guess i was lied to. The guy i bought the bow from said that the vision
    was in the top 5 in the nation and that I could get a hard case for it
    anywhere.

I wanted a parker, but he said I would have nothing but trouble with a parker

Now less the 2 weeks into my first piece of archery equipment ever I find
    that with less the 10 shots on the bow that the cable(string) appears ready
    to break and that there is no case what so ever available for the vision.

I guess he saw me coming and I should have gone with the parker.

live and learn ... at least I know a little about rifles.

thanks
    wolf
    yea friend, you are new to x-bows. with x-bows comes alot of good things and alot of bad things, and thats from just about any manufacture. compound crossbows are tough on strings, cables, some guys redo their center servings every 30 shots. do some research on the crossbow section of this forum or go to other crossbow forums on the web and you will hear more stories of limbs exploding, risers cracking, cables snapping etc, etc, etc, just seems to be the nature of the beast.

vertical compound bows have there problems too, going out of tune, strings stretching, cams leaning and coming out of time, sights and rests moving, etc, etc.....all part of the game. ohhh rifles are so simple, what the hell makes us get involved with these bows..
    I hate Politicians!

what does this mean??

center servings every 30 shots

This is what is wrong with my cable... the thing going thru the cable
    Is that why i have to replace the cable.

or is there something else i can do

mine looks like a stretched out spring after about 7 shots
    I order a x-viper ... i think it is called to replace it

is there something else i can do?

Serving wear varies from bow to bow. The steeper the angle the easier it is for the serving to separate if it is not tied very tight. A hand built string like from Viper=X is generaly better than a mass produced one as the serving is tied tighter. You can also learn to tie them yourself (very recomended) as it is the one big maintainace point of any crossbow. Remember to lube the rail as well (not sure if your guy told you about this or not). The Vision is actually a nice bow....I have sold a handfull as I could get them. I would not get too upset....you do have a good bow, just got some incorrect information and there is the "new bow" learning curve. Keep asking questions....generaly you will get the answers you need from this forum

Wyvern

u started it

how do i learn to tye the serving...
    is there a you tube video ... or something to give me a hint

the spring guy at first told me to restring the bow myself but when he
    found out i was brand new said on second thought maybe you should
    take it to a local dealer....

rofl he did not want me to blow up the bow by restringing it wrong

and he talked about servers and steap angles and all

rifles are so much easier ... get me a 308 with scope and i am good to
    about 750 yards ... so you cross bow ppl better be good stalkers
    the dear dont see me at 700 yards usually

rofl

If you do a search, somewhere in the crossbow forum is a step by step how to on serving done by Boo Strings.

Your bow came with ( or atleast was supposed too) a stringer so you can change your own string (or maintain it) without a press...it is not a big job.

Wyvern

stringer

i did not get one.... so i guess i got shorted
    do u have a clue where i can get one
    or a portalable press

or something like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast