Thread: Anyone Archery Duck hunt? Need help

Anyone Archery Duck hunt? Need help

I'm getting ready for Duck season this year, and hope to bag my first Archery Duck. I realize it will probably be unproductive, but I've got to try.

Since no one I know duck's this way, I'm leaning on this thread to help.

I've got a good recurve and some Flu-Flus, as well as my compounds to use.

I live in California and dont really know the regs for CA Archery Waterfowl. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dean

Shoot them out of your bow stand. Thats the only chance i have had.
    matt

I've hunted two different areas in northern Ca and one would have been good for bowhunting and one would not have been. Keep in mind in the rice patty areas where there are leased pits all over the fields, bowhunting is not going to work well for obvious reasons. If you have a marsh area away from the crowds, pass shooting them or lighting them and taking water shots should work ok. I'd go with the wheels if you are going to shoot them setting, otherwise, I'd opt for the stick for taking flying shots.

Whitewolf-
    I have a wide spot on a creek in mind for ducks that gets fly-ins and float-ins that I think would be perfect for Archery. It gets very little pressure and has some good shooting positions from the reeds.

So, I can shoot them on the wing or floating on the water or on dry land with archery equipment in CA? This is where I'm a little hazy about the regs. I need help here.

Also, I'm guessing I can use decoys, right?

I asked a F+G guy about Archery Duck once and he said he had very little knowledge of the regs since it was such a tiny aspect of Waterfowl hunting.

One fellow sent me a message stating he likes to use soda bottles attached with 30 yard long lines to regular broadhead tipped arrows for recovery instead of flu-flu's.

I'm trying to decide what broadheads to use, it's hard to find info on Duck points..

Any help is appreciated, I've never done Archery Duck before.

Thanks!

Dean

Gobbler guillotine

I heard someone talking in a sporting goods store and they said thy used the gobbler guilotine for goose but I don't see why they won't work for ducks either. Unless you want to get one of them mounted.....
    "not i said the pig" -Piggy #1 and Piggy #2

I really have to try those GOBBLER GUILLOTINE heads on Turkeys, and It would make sense to use them on Geese too. Now I have doubled my reasons to try those blades!

Dean

So I found a friend who wants to Archery hunt ducks with me. Basically, doubled my chances of bringing home a bird

Still looking for any help.

Dean

I use regular broadheads usualy walmart specials just remember you have to lead them a lot if pass shooting the one I shot this year i jump shot good luck
    Bear Anarchy Green Machine
    PSE Supra Max
    PSE Full Throttle (392 gr @ 65# 29 dl =323fps)

Gibson Archery

Yeah, I've heard a few times now to use regular broadheads. I'm think about using the turkey points Like these Turkey Terror's to prevent pass-throughs-

Also, here's a couple videos on the subject. The first one looks like they are shooting while the ducks are floating, and they are using the same gear they deer hunt with- same broadheads and fletching etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwcbZ_5dwg

This one is canada goose hunting with longbows from back in 1987-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tXW...A5215&index=71

Here is a guy hunting geese from his back yard-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2RzGvggTg
    Last edited by RunsUpRiver; October 25th, 2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: videos were not linked right

I would change my set up to a benelli super black eagle 2 12 gauge with 3.5 inch black cloud ammunition. that should work well IMHO. Just messing with you. I guess I haven't got bored enough with hunting to want to challenge myself to shooting a duck with a bow.

Smile

Found some info on the CA Fish and Game's website and in the Waterfowl hunting regs-

2) Bow and Arrows or Crossbows. Only arrows or crossbows bolts with flu- flu fletching may be used except that conventionally fletched arrows may be used to take waterfowl sitting on the water from scullboats or similar watercraft. Archers hunting during any archery season may not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting.

Trying to figure out what this means. Can I not shoot sitting ducks while I am on land? How about if I am on land and the ducks are on water?

Can I use a FLU- FLU to shoot sitting ducks then?

Do I have to be floating on the water, or can the scull boat be beached while I shoot?

These regs are too vague Anyone have more info?

Also... I'm finding some mentioning of using these tips for ducks- the G5 SGH points-

Quote Originally Posted by RunsUpRiver View Post
    Found some info on the CA Fish and Game's website and in the Waterfowl hunting regs-

2) Bow and Arrows or Crossbows. Only arrows or crossbows bolts with flu- flu fletching may be used except that conventionally fletched arrows may be used to take waterfowl sitting on the water from scullboats or similar watercraft. Archers hunting during any archery season may not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting.
    Trying to figure out what this means. Can I not shoot sitting ducks while I am on land? How about if I am on land and the ducks are on water?
    Can I use a FLU- FLU to shoot sitting ducks then?
    Do I have to be floating on the water, or can the scull boat be beached while I shoot?
    These regs are too vague Anyone have more info?
    The wording seem very clear to me, but it would be great to talk with a CA DFG officer. I have one as a friend, so when I see him next, I'll ask him. Here is my literal interpretation of what the regulations state.

In general, you may only shoot flying birds with arrows having flu flu fletching.

However, you can use regular fletching (like we use for deer or turkey) but only if you are shooting from a boat. And if you are doing this style of hunting (with regular fletching from a boat), you can only shoot at ducks sitting on the water - not at any flying ducks.

You can shoot at ducks sitting on the water from land, but you must use flu flu fletching. Who knows why they specified it this way. It sounds like they want you to plan before you hunt waterfowl with a bow instead of spontaneously taking a shot at sitting birds while out hunting for something else.

"Can I not shoot sitting ducks while I am on land?" You can, but only with Flu Flu fletched arrows

"How about if I am on land and the ducks are on water?" Fine, but only with flu flu fletched arrows.

"Can I use a FLU- FLU to shoot sitting ducks then?" Sure.

"Do I have to be floating on the water, or can the scull boat be beached while I shoot?" I bet this up to the judgement of the officer, but it sounds to me like you better be floating if you are shooting arrows with regular fletching.

Notice how CA regulations treat turkey differently. We tend to shoot them on the ground. You can shoot them with regular fletching AND you can even hunt them with a pellet gun as long as it is .20 caliber or larger (no .177).

If I were going to hunt flying birds, I'd use a shotgun - just seems like the right tool for the sport. I like a challenge, but I also like to have success when I go hunting.

Tred Barta hunted ducks 8 years in a row before he got LUCKY and hit a duck that happened to fly in front of his arrow. It was clear he was aiming at another duck that he missed.

Ray

I'm up for a challenge!

Yeah, the Turkey regs are different. I use regular arrows and broadheads for them. It seems a little wierd why one bird is treated differently int he rulebooks, but it might be a safety matter. Water makes things different I guess.

I know the reasoning behind FLU FLU arrows is two things, safety and recovery.

I'm just really wondering what the state thinks the definition of FLU FLU is.

Are there any arrow stopping or drag requirements placed on the feathers?

Do the feathers need to be a certain height or length?

The lack of regs posted is still hard to deal with. I've learned that just because it isnt posted, doesnt make it legal. I'm hoping to find out more.

Does "scullboats or similar watercraft" mean I can hunt from a canoe? How about a 14 foot rowboat? A flyfishing belly boat? I doubt it would include a Tournament Bassboat. What is the point behind the state's wording of similar? Human powered? 6 inches above the water max?

Anyone dealt with these questions in your home state?

Thanks!

Dean

So it seems there are a lot more Waterfowl hunters on the Traditional Archery Forums than on ArcheryTalk. I've been getting some good info over there, especially on different types of FLU FLUs and how well some points work on ducks and geese.

I'm still looking for info on what equipment others have and do use on Waterfowl and such.

Thanks!

Dean

I used to hunt ducks out of a gronud blind when I lived up north. It was on my own property and fairly heavily wooded and I left the blind set up for weeks. The ducks, geese, and swans got used to it and it didn't bother them, I would get in the blind before daylight and wait for them to swim into bow range. The lake I lived on was semi private and only suitable for hunting and fishing and the ducks would move all along the shore line. I used regular feathers and thunderhead broadheads, the arrows would blow right through em and then float in the water. Anyway it worked several times and was some of the funnest hunting I've done. Also check your local laws about taking waterfoul on the water.

Sorry, forgot to come back to this thread. I live in AR so couldnt have answered your questions about the CA regs. I was shooting a shotgun when I hunted out there.

Based on the regs posted in this thread, I'd go with flu-flu's and big snuffers. Actually, I'd make up a couple dozen ramin shafts and shoot the big glue on snuffers.

A little late for this year's Turkey, but spring duck season, I might have a new bow- Thinking about the PSE BLACKHAWK-

$200 bucks

It's 60 inches long and looks pretty nice. 35- 50 pounds available.

I'm thinking about this bow in a 40 or 45 pound weight.

Any thoughts?

Here's the thread I started asking for reviews-

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1056094531

Dean
    Attached Images Attached Images

Im also going after some ducks with my both for the 1st time this year, I will be hunting in NC. Gonna try them saturday afternoon, Ive got a mess of woodducks going to roost in a small pond on property where I live.

I have not gotten out yet this season with my bow. I'm hoping the February Aleutian season will be my archery ticket. Just too much stuff going on this season so far.

Dean

i have personally done it i drilled a mallard hen 17 yrds in flooded timber in arkansas at the black dog . WEll heres what i know i have shot more flu flu's then anyone man should and every kind. so i recomend useing 3 or 4 fletched helicled feathers for ducks cause of the velocity it takes to get through the breast feathers . I know from experience !!!! Here is the hard lesson i learned . My thought process was like yours- about the gobble guiotein , perfect head wright????? all you have to do is hit em in the wing or head...... Well there we were ducks everywhere ,flooded timber arkansas- 200 miles, two cameramen ..... about $1500 wrapped up in filming and all the other crap just to document this awesome feat..... So back to the story, all day--- ducks closed 40 yards with none getting close enough for a shot, then 4 hours into the hunt, here worked 2 mallards- a drake and a hen - closer and closer they came and before i new it there they were ..... i came to full draw as they dropped through the canopy then anchored picked out the closest one and THWAAAAKKKK perfect twelve ring ,breast on shot!!!! i crushed it and i watched as the susie flew 35 yards and fell.... it was done i did it , but did i????? both cameras missed the hit and the duck dove into the flooded oak flat we were in and never came up!!!! it was like a dream , did it really happen ???? no proof but the vision of that well placed flu flu myself and 5 others saw that day. IT was a thing of beauty!!!!! For the record it was my first shot at a duck and the training for that hunt was how arrow affliction was conceived!!!!!! the moral of the story is DONT SHOOT THE GUIETIEN AT DUCKs .. what happened was it hit so solid that it didnt go in far enough even at 60 pounds from a compound!!!!! I definately recomend a dull broad head of some kind or i will shoot a dull open rage my next hunt!!!!! i hope you enjoyed my encounter and good luck my friend!!!!!

All help is appreciated. Its hard to find what heads work well for air shots, most people just use old broadheads though.

The BULLHEAD type heads would be for ground shots out of compounds as if you were hunting turkeys.

Dean