Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer blowing: which deer sex?

Deer blowing: which deer sex?

Which deer sex blows "PPPFFFFFFFFFffffffff..." at you when it sees and knows there is danger?

Today a deer blew at us and I'm just wondering if big mature females do that also.

What happenned was towards the end of the day I saw 3 deers come out just before dark, all females, and heard 2 others mulling in the brushes. Of the 2 sneaky ones, 1 ended up being another doe. I couldn't see the last 1 as it kept on moving in the really thick stuff only. Anyways they all passed by my stand and went towards my friends which is about 80 yrds from me. He couldn't hear them coming, plus it was getting dark, so he descended his stand and obviously spooked them. All the deers took off and then I could hear a "PFFFFfffffff.... PFffffffff..." coming from one of them at a distance.

Do big mature females blow also? Or is it exclusively males only who do this? Just wondering because I'm curious to know if the one deer I couldn't see might be the buck I was waiting for since last year.

both do it but a doe seems to be the more vocal of the two.

They both blow. I cant tell the difference in the two, accept the doe will usually blow more.

Both will blow.

Getting blown at is one thing, wait til it's almost dark and one of those crazy old does screeches at you!!!! You just might poo a little!!!
    '12 CRX 35 Black 28.75" 62#/ MBG Ascent Ambush/ Apache Carbon/ B-Stinger Sport Hunter 10"/ Apex MQX Quiver/ Scott Exxus/ GT XT 5575/ Shuttle Ts
    '12 CRX 35 Target Orange 28.75" 56.7#/ CBE Tek Target w Large CBE Scope .010/ LD Micro Elite/ B-Stinger Competitor 30" Bar & 12" Side/ GT X-Cutter/Exxus

I have found that doe blow more than bucks even mature doe. The bucks that I have seen blow were usually smaller ones.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

In my experience, bucks (all ages) will blow once then get the heck outta there. Does will blow and stomp and blow some more. Typical chicks....they keep complaining until you just wanna shoot em so they'll shut up.

does definitely blow more. big mature bucks usually just stop and turn around without you even knowing they were there

It depends on where you are. Heavily pressured bucks don't usually make too many sounds. Does ALL blow at you, no matter where you are. Bucks that I have hunted that see very few humans blow a lot too. I have watched a couple screech/blow and bound off 50-60 yards and do it again and then do it again at 100 yards.....All the way up the freaking mountain!

I've had many deer blow on me over the years for a variety of reasons. Usually that ocurrs when they happpen to come in down wind. But I have never had a mature buck blow. They just vacate the area when alarmed. No foot stomping no blowing just become "HISTORY". You may see them get stiff legged and freeze but when they can't identify the danger they don't hand around.

Quote Originally Posted by deer16pt View Post
    I've had many deer blow on me over the years for a variety of reasons. Usually that ocurrs when they happpen to come in down wind. But I have never had a mature buck blow. They just vacate the area when alarmed. No foot stomping no blowing just become "HISTORY". You may see them get stiff legged and freeze but when they can't identify the danger they don't hand around.
    Yep a mature buck never blows. He either freezes then bolts...or just plain out bolts. They don't hang around to try and find out what stinks.
    Nock On TV

Quote Originally Posted by speedgoat View Post
    does definitely blow more. big mature bucks usually just stop and turn around without you even knowing they were there
    ^^ Most accurate answer in my opinion. ^^

Bucks, in my experience, rarely blow. Does, rarely do not, especially if she's a mature one with a couple of yearlings.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
    Yeah...Hoyt should hire Imagineers like the other manufactures do, that way they can also get imaginary speeds.
    Team 2 - "Double Down"

Hoyt Engineering. Hoyt DomiNation.

Maybe it`s just me but I`ve never had a buck blow at me. They`ll usually stomp and thenget the heck out of there.

David
    Posted via Mobile Device

Typical chicks....they keep complaining until you just wanna shoot em so they'll shut up. [/QUOTE]

That is to funny .Thanks for the good laugh since I couldn't be out opening day
    PSE X-Force, G5 sight , QAD drop away , G-5 peep sight , Bohning 6 arrow quiver,
    Flatliner stab

Quote Originally Posted by waylonb19 View Post
    Yep a mature buck never blows. He either freezes then bolts...or just plain out bolts. They don't hang around to try and find out what stinks.
    Yep. Thats how they got to be big and remain that way.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

actually, if startled, a big buck will blow, but he is on the move the opposite direction when he does. I just had it happen last week.. big 5x5, we both walked around a tree, and oh crap!! He was gone before I could even move my bow.
    Dragn
    Hunting bow:Bowtech Allegence,True Glo Sight, Ultra Rest, Easton St Epic Arrows. Target Bow: Bowtech Constitution, Toxonics Sight, Ripcord rest, Easton Eclipse 2712 arrows, Posten Slim Jimmz Stab

I should have been more clear.. most mature bucks will not blow, you never see them at all. Do mature bucks ever blow?, of course they do, but in general, does blow much more frequently

Ok thanks guys for he input. Most likely all those 5 deers that came under and around me were all females.... Which means I might still get a chance at that big buck, unless of course he was just trailing right behind them and I couldn't hear or see him.

I had a 2 mile ride to get to a stand and parked the wheeler in the wrong spot. I heard a dear snort 20 times at the 4 wheeler right before dark. The next night I parked in a different spot and walked a bit further, and was covered up in deer for over an hour. New area still learning there preffered travel routes. I have no choice but to use some kind of vehicle to get around a river to access the back of the 40 where all the deer are. I would rather boat across, but I need to find a boat first. I have been snorted at many times and still got an arrow in that old doe 10 mins later

archery146

Well one good thing is that they didn't snort at you, so your location was not given out. You'll get your chance, hang in there the season is just getting started for most of us.

ar146

the does seem to be louder and the bucks more deeper sounding i think

blew in my ear

One day I was ground hunting, I had knocked down a spot in some tall grass just off a trail. I'm on my knees and I hear a deer coming in,closer,closer, all of sudden I got this deer standing right behind me, I can see burst of steam coming over my shoulder and hear him breathing, all of sudden one big blow and off he/she went. It was pretty cool.- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by waylonb19 View Post

+1

A big nanny will really let you have it but a big buck on the other hand will just slip on out.
    TEAM 39 Pass Thru Posse
    29/60 KillR ChillR
    49@28 Roy Hall Apache
    With gorilla gone, will there be hope for man?

2 years ago my brother had a shot at a BIG BUCK which was accompanied by two does. As they entered into the clearing, the staging area, one doe wandered off leaving the big buck and the other doe behind. Then the buck and the doe stood side by side, broadside to my younger brother. My bro was so shaken by the big buck, a big 10-12 ptr, he stupidly took the shot thinking that he could shoot over the doe and hit the buck. But instead he spined the doe and the buck took off running. I was only sitting about 80 yrs from my brother (the same tree stands my friend and I sat on the other day) so could hear everything. And then suddenly I hear a deer blowing "PPPPFffffffff... " x6 or 7 times not too far from me, maybe about 40 yrds or so.

Anyways my point is all along I thought and assumed the blowing was from the startled and ticked off big buck. But now it's more likely it was from the other doe which circled back after hearing the other doe getting shot.

Sheesh, that's the reason why I asked this question. For 2 years I had it in my head that it was the big buck which was blowing.

Thanks guy for clearing things up for me.

Just thought I would post this. You can hear these 2 doe snort at me like 4 times as they run off. And yes I kinda jumped in the video from the first snort.
    Rytera Alien X
    Rytera Alien Nemesis
    G5 Strikers

I'm out hunting....try again later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast