Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting busted in my summit stand!

Question Getting busted in my summit stand!

Does anyone else have this problem? I bought a summit viper last year and started using it. Up until this time I have never been picked off in my tree stand unless I gave the deer a reason to look. Every deer that I get within 20 yards will look right up at me and pick me off. Some times they run and sometimes they will go about their business. The wind is always in my favor so that is not a factor. I climb 25 to 30 feet usually and it amazes me that deer are looking for something that far up in the trees. Like I said I have never had it happen before. I even took my loggy mega transformer out earlier and no deer busted me. As soon as I took the summit this year, Bingo, a spike buck looks right at me. Im thinking it is giving off some ultra violet or something. Maybe the straps. I am ready to break out the paint at this point. Just wondering if any one else has had this problem?

I shoot a bow and arrow

if it is a climber stand, i assume you are choosing smaller tree's to climb. it might be because the tree isn't big enough to hide your outline.

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkmtnhunter View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? I bought a summit viper last year and started using it. Up until this time I have never been picked off in my tree stand unless I gave the deer a reason to look. Every deer that I get within 20 yards will look right up at me and pick me off. Some times they run and sometimes they will go about their business. The wind is always in my favor so that is not a factor. I climb 25 to 30 feet usually and it amazes me that deer are looking for something that far up in the trees. Like I said I have never had it happen before. I even took my loggy mega transformer out earlier and no deer busted me. As soon as I took the summit this year, Bingo, a spike buck looks right at me. Im thinking it is giving off some ultra violet or something. Maybe the straps. I am ready to break out the paint at this point. Just wondering if any one else has had this problem?
    not sure but I would get rid of that stand pronto. PM me and I do a favor and give my adress.

Hmm, interesting.

I don't have any trouble with my Summit Viper. Rarely do I get spotted unless I move around. That being said, I can't recall if I had any issues when I first bought it (your UV theory).
    U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance - Protecting Hunting, Fishing and Trapping
    QDMA Life Member

Organization - USSA
    My website - WhitetailWriter

I dont have any problems with mine. I have camo sprayed mine and I am a big guy so I always climb big trees to hide my outline.
    Mathews LX
    Tenpoint Turbo XLT

Quote Originally Posted by vmartin View Post
    if it is a climber stand, i assume you are choosing smaller tree's to climb. it might be because the tree isn't big enough to hide your outline.
    Yep its a climber. And I usually climb a 12 to 18" diameter tree.
    Why did they not pick me off in my ol man, or loggy stand in the same trees?
    I shoot a bow and arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WhitetailWriter View Post
    Hmm, interesting.

I don't have any trouble with my Summit Viper. Rarely do I get spotted unless I move around. That being said, I can't recall if I had any issues when I first bought it (your UV theory).
    Dude I aint moving around. I look like a statue.
    I shoot a bow and arrow

Well here in Texas I have the opposite of that problem. My ladder tree stand is about 10 foot up in a tree with no cover in front of it. I have had a deer sit underneath me and have deer walk 5 yards away all the time and they never look my way. Remember if you don't wear a mask that could be a big problem or if you have different color camo. Always think about the small things they sometimes could make a world of difference.

Summit Stands

I have five Summit hang on stands on our property and dont have a problem getting busted unless they wind me or catch movement. I also use a Summit Openshot (climber) and have never had this problem. As stated earlier, it might be the smaller diameter tree you are climbing, if that is the case. However, if you are 25-30 feet up I wouldnt think this would be the problem.

Im thinking about the summit skin but I heard it doesnt stick well. I probably am going to paint it but I really dont want the paint smell on it.
    I thought about getting some leafy material and tie strapping it around the bottom and sides of the platform and seat section. I can just use one of my other stands but I like the summit the best for all day comfort. I am going to north Mo in 10 days and plan on doing some all dayers.
    I shoot a bow and arrow

Quote Originally Posted by vmartin View Post
    Idk.......i use a ameristep climbers and i'm a fairly good size guy.......i don't have the problems omh is having.....but something is wrong for sure to get busted that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by CAlex60 View Post
    Well here in Texas I have the opposite of that problem. My ladder tree stand is about 10 foot up in a tree with no cover in front of it. I have had a deer sit underneath me and have deer walk 5 yards away all the time and they never look my way. Remember if you don't wear a mask that could be a big problem or if you have different color camo. Always think about the small things they sometimes could make a world of difference.
    Like I said before I havent done anything differently but changed stands and they dont look at me in my other stands. I am still leaning towards UV. Something is catching their eyes and it aint me. I guess I need to get a black light to check it with.
    Just my bad luck I get the only stand that screams look up here!
    I shoot a bow and arrow

Paint it if you want, the smell goes away once the paint fully cures. The smell is caused by the liquids drying and evaporating. Im thinking the only thing it really might be is the seat and padding need to be sprayed down with UV killer, or if you have backpack straps hanging down, they might be to blame. Its certainly not the stand itself, its something else. I have a Viper SS that I repainted a diff color green so that I could tell it apart from friend's stands, but I have no problems with it. Had a small buck walk directly under me in it this past weekend.
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 29"/63 lb
    -Copper John Dead Nuts Pro, Whisker Biscuit, Eastman Carbon Stab, Treelimb Premium Quiver, 60X stings, G5 peep
    -Harvest Time Harvester HT2s, 125gr G5 Montec CS (375 Gr)
    -293 fps

I'd put a new paint job on it (predator pattern looks good)...When your done after a couple days of it drying in the sun spray it down with some Primos Sliver XP.Do something with the seat and arm pads also , maybe wash them in some kinda no scent detergant.Let it air dry some more.
    If that don't fix your problem ebay it

Maybe it's the polka dots and flourescent orange blinking lights Summit has been putting on their stands. I knew that color pattern looked like trouble.

really no reason behind it. I believe you but makes no sense.

Maybe you stink? Is it possible you got some odor on your stand from gasoline or something that you wouldn't notice but deer would?
    Lights Out 28.5/70
    GT Xt hunters
    WASP Boss SST
    Cobra Release

ya

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    really no reason behind it. I believe you but makes no sense.
    I've been using a summit viper since they went to a cable holder. Never had a problem gettin busted. I did paint some stripes on it way back when and I spray it down good with some scent killer before I use it. Good luck with yours.
    08 Bowtech General
    Dropzone
    Axis st blazers
    Muzzy 90 4 blades

I've been spotted in mine before, but also in other stands. It's not every time, but it happens. Deer get used to looking up once they figure out what's going on. It also might have something to do with the terrain. If a deer is higher up on a hill, or sometimes coming uphill they are looking your way. I've shot 2 deer out of the same tree last year and was never spotted, then had 4 deer coming in this year and the first 2 spotted me as they were coming up the creek bank. I was still able to make the shot as they weren't sure what was up. Bottom line, deer get used to looking up when the trees get full of hunters.
    If you kill it, then eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalohunter View Post
    Deer get used to looking up once they figure out what's going on.
    Lol, so true. I got busted by a doe with a fawn which still had spots earlier this month (using Summit Razor) and have seen her again coming through the same area. I'm not kidding... I watched her looking straight up the trees next to her as she walked along. She remembered exactly what she spotted in that area before and its enough to make you start sweating when they're passing through.

Never been spotted in my summit bullet backpacker try getting in a tree with some size and lots of background cover. The stands are bigger in size and bulkier so it takes alittle more effort to hide them and yourself. Don't put yourself in a tree out in the open find a cluster of trees to get amongst.

go to hobby lobby and get some of that fake plastic ivy......
    German Shorthair Pointers
    House Broken
    Field Proven

Bought the same stand two years ago...same thing kept happening....they would look right up at me.

...problem??

And here I go getting ready to get "ahh that's all hogwash"....but...I checked it with a black light, pads, bags and seat all glowed almost white. Recovered it with non-glowing camo....haven't been picked off since.

Yours may be fine, or it may glow and it's not really the problem....but I changed and noticed a night and day improvement so in my crazy little head I am a believer.

flame suit....ON!

I've owned my Summit Viper for several years now without any problems getting busted. In fact my climber has been so abused that a lot of the paint has come off and the bare alum is showing and still no problems. I've always hung a camo skirt from the front safety rail and let it drape down past my feet which allows me to adjust the position of my feet without a lot of visible movement and it seems to help block wind on a cold day.
    Good Luck!

How could you blame a climbing treestand seriously.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast