Thread: The "Greenville Buck"- How can we put this to rest?

The "Greenville Buck"- How can we put this to rest?

Isn't there, or shouldn't there be some concrete evidence posted somewhere about this buck? In other words, is there a certain protocol a DNR has to follow before releasing information like this?

Taken from another post, this is the most believeable info I have seen to date:

Quote Originally Posted by hunting170 View Post
    I chatted with a guy today, that actually held this buck`s antlers in his hands. It was killed at Samson`s Whitetail Mountain (www.samsonswhitetailmountain.com/). Inside spread is around 28", outside spread is 38", and it scores a little over 305. That's all I know, but at least now we all know where it was shot.
    There is a "Greenville" in every state. So far, I think this buck has been shot in each state in the U.S. Today, rumors were rampant that this buck was shot in Greenville, OH by a farmer only 15 miles from my house. Who knows? Why does it have to be this way though? Would you have to keep something like this "on the down low" to protect the deer and the hunter?

How do we ever know what to believe? It's sad, comical, and tiresome.

Maybe the internet is our own worst enemy.
    "I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

- Tony Campolo

It could be worse. I have family in Greenville, Oh. I also have family from Greeneville, TN!

"Honey, your cousin called from Greenville!"
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

Quote Originally Posted by nstrut View Post
    In other words, is there a certain protocol a DNR has to follow before releasing information like this?
    What does the DNR have to do with anything? They don't "release" anything, it's internet rumors. They only get out of hand because everyone lets them.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
    What does the DNR have to do with anything? They don't "release" anything, it's internet rumors. They only get out of hand because everyone lets them.
    Really? Are you sure about that?

So, you mean when the Beatty buck was killed the DNR didn't confirm the kill was from Ohio and have a story about it on their web page? Yes sir, they did.

They also eventually used a picture of that buck for the cover of a past laws and regulations book.

If you think the DNR doesn't get involved in cases of big bucks shot like this, you are mistaken.

- Tony Campolo

Really? Are you sure about that?

So, you mean when the Beatty buck was killed the DNR didn't confirm the kill was from Ohio and have a story about it on their web page? Yes sir, they did.

They also eventually used a picture of that buck for the cover of a past laws and regulations book.

If you think the DNR doesn't get involved in cases of big bucks shot like this, you are mistaken.
    What in the world are you talking about? How did you go from internet rumors to the Beatty buck? I smell a conspiracy theory coming on.

What in the world are you talking about? How did you go from internet rumors to the Beatty buck? I smell a conspiracy theory coming on.
    No, I think you need to re-read everything here. You asked me why the DNR would be involved. The mentioning of the Beatty buck was just proof that the DNR does get involved in cases of world-class animals that are killed in their state.

The question here is assuming this deer was killed in Ohio or wherever for that matter, why is it so hard to get the cold hard facts and keep everything so hush-hush?

If there is a conspiracy theory here, it is your own. You can tell you don't know me very well, Sir.

- Tony Campolo

Why would any DNR care what was posted on a public, worldwide forum like AT?
    "Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work at it."

No, I think you need to re-read everything here. You asked me why the DNR would be involved. The mentioning of the Beatty buck was just proof that the DNR does get involved in cases of world-class animals that are killed in their state.

The question here is assuming this deer was killed in Ohio or wherever for that matter, why is it so hard to get the cold hard facts and keep everything so hush-hush?

If there is a conspiracy theory here, it is your own. You can tell you don't know me very well, Sir.
    So now it's the governments responsibility to clear up or prevent internet rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobucks View Post
    Why would any DNR care what was posted on a public, worldwide forum like AT?
    Well, it's easy to see that I'm not being clear enough. The DNR wouldn't care or give a damn about anything except the facts. The only reason that I mentioned the DNR at all is because they do play a card in the hand here IF the buck is legit and from Ohio. If anything, they will confirm the kill and release the details of such a world class animal.

This thread was about how do we stop all the rumors and get the facts. Not about anything other than that.

- Tony Campolo

This thread was about how do we stop all the rumors and get the facts. Not about anything other than that.
    The only way to get away from the rumors is to take away the internet and go back to relying on newspapers and magazines to get the word out about big bucks.....
    "Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work at it."

If the buck was shot inside a fenced in ranch, the dnr really dont have anything to do with it.
    Bearfoot Archery
    Center Circle Strings
    "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." -W.C. Fields

So now it's the governments responsibility to clear up or prevent internet rumors?
    We need an Internet Rumor Czar.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybravoo77 View Post
    If the buck was shot inside a fenced in ranch, the dnr really dont have anything to do with it.
    I realize that.

- Tony Campolo

I'd like to explain my thinking when I posted this thread.

This wasn't about the DNR, but who do you guys think confirms and documents these world class whitetails? I'm not talking about some Joe Smo that shoots any big buck I'm talking about a buck that is world class and going to top the books. Look, the Beatty buck had a press release on the Ohio DNR website when it was killed with all the details. So did the Jerman buck. That legitimized it all. That's all I was getting at.

How do you legitimize such a trophy animal? Who would YOU turn to if YOU shot a buck of a lifetime that could change your life? A check station? A DNR officer? I'm seriously asking all of you, "What would you do?" To be honest, I'm not sure who I'd want to trust.

I'm smart enough to realize the internet is what it is. We will never stop the rumors, the photoshops, and the hoaxes. Heck, pics of the Amish buck still pop up saying it is a new buck that has been shot. It will never stop.

I just wish there were an easier way to get the legitimate facts without having to weed through all the reality, dramatized B.S. That's it in a nutshell.

- Tony Campolo

I'd like to explain my thinking when I posted this thread.

This wasn't about the DNR, but who do you guys think confirms and documents these world class whitetails? I'm not talking about some Joe Smo that shoots any big buck I'm talking about a buck that is world class and going to top the books. Look, the Beatty buck had a press release on the Ohio DNR website when it was killed with all the details. So did the Jerman buck. That legitimized it all. That's all I was getting at.

How do you legitimize such a trophy animal? Who would YOU turn to if YOU shot a buck of a lifetime that could change your life? A check station? A DNR officer? I'm seriously asking all of you, "What would you do?" To be honest, I'm not sure who I'd want to trust.

I'm smart enough to realize the internet is what it is. We will never stop the rumors, the photoshops, and the hoaxes. Heck, pics of the Amish buck still pop up saying it is a new buck that has been shot. It will never stop.

I just wish there were an easier way to get the legitimate facts without having to weed through all the reality, dramatized B.S. That's it in a nutshell.

This is where you are mistaken. The deer was shot on a highfence preserve so therefore it is not elligible for any books that is why no one knows the facts of the situation. Had this been a legit fairchase buck of that caliber then yes the facts would be all over the place because that buck would surely be on top of the record books. But being shot in a highfence the only worth it has is a head on a wall. Definately not lifechanging in anyway other than a nice chunk of change that is now absent from the savings account.
    VORTEX OPTICS NATIONAL FIELD STAFF ............VICTORY NATIONAL STAFF
    AEP PRO STAFF///////////////////////////////////////BRITE SITE SHOOTING STAFF
    TRU BALL SHOOTING STAFF/////////////////////////BOHNING STAFF SHOOTER
    SIXX STRINGS
    ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by BOWGOD View Post
    This is where you are mistaken. The deer was shot on a highfence preserve so therefore it is not elligible for any books that is why no one knows the facts of the situation. Had this been a legit fairchase buck of that caliber then yes the facts would be all over the place because that buck would surely be on top of the record books. But being shot in a highfence the only worth it has is a head on a wall. Definately not lifechanging in anyway other than a nice chunk of change that is now absent from the savings account.
    Bingo... Ding ding ding!

No state's DNR cares about this buck because it was a high fenced pen raised pet. Had this been shot fair chase in the wild whatever state it came from would release all kinds of info on it. To bring intrest from non residents and also so they could say that they're hard work of managing and studies leads to fine deer like the one that was killed.

Now if I had shot this buck fair chase in the wild and not in a very large cage I would check it in, take a ton of high quality professional photos, then sell it to bass pro shops. Why? I could use the money. More importantly, word would travel quick and these days it would either get stolen from the taxi or I run the risk of someone breaking into my home and harming my family to steal it and somehow cash in on it.

More than likely, you will see verification of where this deer came from in the near future right here.....
    http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/t...6-32D0EC7324B3
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

agreed ns.., guess some people knew it was shot behind a fence from day one. i had 6 pics from text on this deer and it was killed 6 different places...

Quote Originally Posted by BOWGOD View Post
    This is where you are mistaken. The deer was shot on a highfence preserve so therefore it is not elligible for any books that is why no one knows the facts of the situation.

Not so fast...depending on the nature of the operation, the deer may very well meet SCI's requirements for book entry. Assuming of course that it was shot within a fenced enclosure.
    There's not much of a lesson to be learned the second time a calf kicks you in the balz.

Maybe the internet is our own worst enemy.
    There's some truth to this. The Internet, say 1995ish, was a place to go and get reliable information, usually from professionals in a given field. Now, every 'neck with a modem is an expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
    Yeah...Hoyt should hire Imagineers like the other manufactures do, that way they can also get imaginary speeds.
    Team 2 - "Double Down"

Hoyt Engineering. Hoyt DomiNation.